Asrock Z77 extreme 6 bios flash problem

quiktake

Gawd
So, I just connected everything to the motherboard, turn on the computer, and go into the bios.

Front and center is the internet flash feature. So, I think, "why not? Let's see how this works."

It connected to a server in the US, downloads the new bios (2.50) and then begins processing and installing. Then it gets stuck on "processing crashless bios". I can't help but chuckle at the irony.

So, I let it keep going for about 20 min and come back hoping for good luck. Nope. No change. Figuring I have no choice but to restart, I do. Now I have a black screen at start up
I can't seem to find anything in the manual or online help and Asrock has Chinese New year for the week.

Any ideas gentlemen?

(I haven't had a bad flash since the nforce2 days. That required me to get a preflashed CMOS chip.)

This board was purchased from Microcenter February 1st, so I still have a few weeks to return it if necessary. But I would rather fix it somehow. I wonder if they would do an in-store replace. Although I consider that pretty shady and prefer to avoid it.

Last edited:
So, the Dr. debug (lcd on the motherboard) says F2, which corresponds to "waiting for firmware" I assume this means the "crashless bios" is looking foranother bios to update with. The manual says I have to put a usb disk on a USB2 port. Unfortunately the motherboard doesn't have any usb2 ports on the backplate. It does have usb2 headers, so I will have to either use of my other cases or try using card reader that plugs into the motherboard header and hope for good luck.

I have an z77 extreme 4 and the same thing happened to me.
i created a dos bootable usb stick. then i placed the bios files on the stick(both versions instant and dos because i did not know which ones to use).
plug usb stick in a usb 2 port then powered the computer up. it booted and started doing an auto flash of the bios i placed on stick..

Thanks for writing about your personal experience. I'll see if I have an extra USB stick. I might try a bootable DOS CD first and see if that works.

I have an z77 extreme 4 and the same thing happened to me.
i created a dos bootable usb stick. then i placed the bios files on the stick(both versions instant and dos because i did not know which ones to use).
plug usb stick in a usb 2 port then powered the computer up. it booted and started doing an auto flash of the bios i placed on stick..

I would recommend this method, had to do this to some older laptops and works great. :)

So I made the USB drive with bios version 2.60 and worked well. For some reason it wouldn't start up from the back plate USB ports. I plugged into the front USB3 ports on my Corsair R300 and things worked!
However, now I am having problems with my OCZ vertex 3s not being recognized.

Are you trying to install the OCZ Vertex 3's? Or is this post installation?

I installed Windows 7 one of the two OCZ vertex 3's in the system. However, the system has trouble restarting and now won't recognize the OCZ drives. I'll play with the wiring a bit and see what happens.

I would first make sure they are both plugged in securely and the power connections too. Are the drives new? Or from an older system ?

Ok. Redid the wiring and reversed the direction of the drives in the case so that cables were not as compressed. Got em working and reinstalled Windows 7. Everything is working great right now. Thanks for the help.

I installed Windows 7 one of the two OCZ vertex 3's in the system. However, the system has trouble restarting and now won't recognize the OCZ drives. I'll play with the wiring a bit and see what happens.

try to turn off deep sleep in the uefi

Back