Asrock Z68 MB Question - 3TB+ Unlocker

bob4432

Limp Gawd
Need some advice/help (and a rebuild is not necessary nor do I want to spend $500 right now on one) My HTPC is based on a Z68 based mATX Asrock motherboard. I run a Intel SSD for the main drive and 2x 2TB HDDs in a Raid1 Array. I keep my other computers on the array along w/ alot of FLAC files I have converted from my own CDs along w/ ripped BluRays (that I own, just getting rid of the copy protection so I can watch them on my terms). Within the last couple of days one of my drives in the array is showing up as degraded. I looked for a another 2TB unit to buy new (I know, small by today's standards but it is what I need) but the prices were ridiculous and honestly I would rather buy a pair of 4 or 6TB HDDs to replace the 2TB. Only issue is that on the Asrock website, for the Z68 and even Z77 based boards is this software called 3TB+ Unlocker. Now my questions is why is this software needed? And is there any way to use 3TB or larger HDDs in another Raid 1 Array, say in the 4-6TB size since the spinners are more expensive that I had anticipated.

And for those that want to know, the reason I have no desire to build a new HTPC is that I am only running a 1080p display, and my current setup, the i5-2500k has no issues running anything @ 1080p (even x265) w/ full uncompressed audio perfectly - never a hiccup.

I know in the future I will need more space, so I would like to go w/ at least a 4-6TB array, but is this even possible w/ this a possiblity because of this 3TB+ Unlocker (and I would like to just run a Raid1 Array and I do not want to go Raid 5 or 10 - to many drives)

I have looked at benchmarks and was looking at a B450 MB w/ a 2400G AMD Cpu, as I have a Gold Rated Modular Seasonic PSU NIB, a new case and 2 sets of 16GB of ADATA DDR 3000 RAM NIB sitting in my 'my build' parts bin, but again, I figured I would move to when I move to a 4K display, but now is not the time.

Also, the software shows the array as 'degraded' and the 1 drive is still workingfine, but these two drive I had bought used some time ago and they were used in a Raid1 Array for an HTPC before they came to me and were on 24/7 from the time that they were new, so they have a lot of hours on them, so I am wanting to replace the 2 of them because I figure the chances of the other drive going are higher than average. I have backed up what is on the array, so the data is safe, but I would just like to get back to a healthy Array.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

This the 3TB+ Unlocker Software - https://www.asrock.com/Feature/3TB/index.asp - after reading it more closely it specifies 32bit OS, I am running Win10Pro 64Bit w/ a UEFI bios - is this tool for 32bit OSs?

Last edited:
Any reason you don't want to buy a used 2TB from the FS forum? Lots of well-kept drives on there for cheap.

Appreciate the question - Either my SearchFu is off, but I couldn't find anything that looked appealing, and after doing more research it appears I am not limited to 2TB and do not need the unlocker software so I can go w/ a pair of larger hdds, but again, either I missed them or ??? but I did not find anything appealing, again, maybe I missed some stuff. You have any ideas?

Yeah a quick search doesn't show much atm. Watch next week there will be 5 different kinds of HDDs FS :)

The problem is I outgrew my external HDD and have some backups on the array, so I will probably order a pair of 4TB NIB drives, and I know RAID is not a backup, but will give me some time to clean some data off some externals I have.
Will be watching SlickDeals for the next few days and the SMART info at the same time.

Back