Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 now available

looks just like an Asus Z68 Deluxe tech wise with a diffent nic.

The ASUS lacks a floppy controller (I know, most of us don't need them, nor would I, but I work on people's old systems for them and sometimes need to flash a BIOS or create an F6 boot floppy or a Ghost floppy disk).

The Asrock adds a PLX chip which adds on PCIe lanes and PCIe 3.0 capability (for when Ivy Bridge CPUs with PCIe 3.0 are released).

The ASUS has two NICs; one is the very good Intel, and one is the average Realtek (note: I've had no issues with my Realtek gig NIC,in my current rig, but would prefer a better one. As you said, the Asrock has a single NIC, a Broadcom-chip model, which should provide better performance than Realtek and compete relatively closely with the Intel NIC.

The USB layout (external USB vs internal USB ports) is different between the two boards. Plus or minus depends on how you want your peripherals set up.

The ASUS board lacks Virtu support. EDIT: I have found I am incorrect on this, though I believe the ASUS board will only support Virtu in D-Mode, not I-mode, having no HDMI out.

Finally, the ASUS costs fifty bucks more.

The ASUS P8Z68-V PRO is a lot closer to the Asrock.

Last edited:
I thought all the new Z68 Asus boards supported Virtu

My understanding is that a Z68 board needs to have at least a HDMI out to support Virtu (the ASUS has none), If I''m wrong, I'll retract/correct that, but I recall reading that as being an Intel requirement. I do think I also read that ASUS has somehow gotten permission to go around that and have Virtu support without a video port, I'll look into it.

EDIT: I've done some looking. While NewEgg doesn't list Virtu support, ASUS does. I'm guessing what I read earlier may just mean that without HDMI, Virtu will only work in D-mode, and not I-mode (as there's no Intel video connection).

Check the newgg video on youtube with the guy from ASUS. I think says every new board has it, even if it doesn't have the hdmi

Here you go. Virtu on all new Z68 Asus boards. See this[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsEOIyqXtg"] Asus Video.[/ame]
Start listening a 9:19

I stand corrected on Virtu and the Z68. My main point was that the ASUS board being compared wasn't as much like the Asrock as the poster thought.

Looks like the same board, only you get PCIe 3.0 when an Ivy Bridge chip is installed.

I wish I knew this was coming, as I bought a gen 2 board just a few weeks ago. With any luck PCIe 3.0 wont be necessary to get good performance for a few years.

but for someone like me who is buying a new rig, if i can get PCIe 3, why not :)
Exactly.

The Extreme 4 has a reputation for being a good board, and has gotten countless positive reviews. The Gen 3 looks like an improved Extreme 4, and if you're in the market, might as well go that option.

The black-with-gold-caps look is kind of a plus for the rig I'm putting in, though that really didn't factor into my decision. :)

In the past I really wouldn't have even considered Asrock, but after getting 2 junk Asus boards (p8p67 deluxe's) and seeing Toms Hardware give the z68 extreme 4 a "recommended buy" award, I'm certainly open to the idea. The Gen 3 boards are downright sexy looking and after having to troubleshoot the crap out of my Asus boards, I don't think I'll buy another board without the port 80 diagnostic LED.
I'd love to hear some follow up reviews as to how Asrock's been with bios updates and support along with how the boards have been for overclocking & gaming ? I'd just grab another p67 board, but it seems like the z68 chipset has been getting the majority of the focus for fixes and updates.

1 other question, does anyone who has one know if they're using single or double release dimm sockets ?

I Orderd it and it will be here on Friday so I will let u all know how it looks and goes. ;) I didnt wait tof r the Ex7 dont care about the NF chip. and the only real Diff between that and the Fatality mobo is 1 feature that does not concern me. ;)I will take Pics of the Build if youd like also. to show what the mobo Looks like in person. :D

If i had know this board was coming out i would have waited instead of buying the GB board I have now. Oh well. This board is sick though. It would have been perfect in my all black themed build.

Okay, now for some computer pr0n goodness for all of you. Enjoy. :)

Asrockmainboard003.jpg

Asrockmainboard007.jpg

Asrockmainboard011.jpg

lonewolf, test it for an issue when peripherals connected to USB3.0 jacks kill of the NIC connection.

This board looks really awesome for the new build im working on. Im just curious, what is the difference between this and the Fatality board?

sexy!!! i keep trying to hold off on my new parts but your not making it easy! i would love the Extreme 7!

This board looks really awesome for the new build im working on. Im just curious, what is the difference between this and the Fatality board?

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/models.asp

The Extreme 4 has less USB 3 ports (4 vs 6), less SATA 3 ports (4 vs 6, but remember that anything beyond the first two is handled by a third-party controller, not the Z68 chipset), but more USB 2.0 ports (10 vs 8). The Extreme 4 also has VGA, DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort onboard, as opposed to the Fatal1ty (VGA, two HDMI). Finally, the Fatal1ty has dual NICs, and costs another fifty bucks.

I only needed one NIC, and the Extreme4 has everything I could want. I just finished getting the system together tonight, and it's bedtime for me, but I'll post updates this week as I get to put it through its paces.

lonewolf, test it for an issue when peripherals connected to USB3.0 jacks kill of the NIC connection.

I will try that; have only just gotten Windows up. There is an Etron 1.1 driver for USB3 ports that I'm not sure is on Asrock's site, but it is on ExtremeTech's forums in their official Z68 Extreme 4 (non gen-3) thread. I downloaded that driver and installed it, but the system is only just off the ground.

I did dismantle the USB 3.0 drive bay that Asrock provided. I used it to connect the front-panel USB3 connectors from the Corsair 650D case, as its port connectors are currently designed to go to actual USB ports rather than a motherboard header. I insulated it so it can't contact anything and hid it in the case.

P.S. To everyone who doesn't have a recent Asrock board, the new UEFI BIOS is pretty nice. I'm liking that.

Last edited:
this stinks, directron.com doesnt have this board yet and Amazon.con doesnt have the board either being sold by amazon

i may have to settle for the gigabyte UD5 Z68 board.

this stinks, directron.com doesnt have this board yet and Amazon.con doesnt have the board either being sold by amazon

i may have to settle for the gigabyte UD5 Z68 board.

You have something against NewEgg and Superbiiz?

Just ordered one of these to replace my P8P67 that was nothing but problems. 2 rma's.

Hopefully the Asrock will treat me better.

Just ordered one of these to replace my P8P67 that was nothing but problems. 2 rma's.

Hopefully the Asrock will treat me better.

Same! My P8z68 had horrible problems posting... eventually it just wouldn't. Piece of crap. Asus definitely messed up with these boards.

Lets hope the Asrock is ROCK SOLID!!

Same! My P8z68 had horrible problems posting... eventually it just wouldn't. Piece of crap. Asus definitely messed up with these boards.

Lets hope the Asrock is ROCK SOLID!!

I feel your pain. I just want a board that's stable. I had an Abit IP35 Pro system that was rock solid for years. Then I upgraded to the Asus P8P67 Pro based system, and have had nothing but headaches for months.

Here's hoping that the Asrock will help.

Just ordered this board, should have it built Wednesday.

Me too!! I overnighted mine, which I never do but I think its worth the 30 dollars. Since it was 30 dollars cheaper than when I bought the p8z68-v pro. Yet, the RMA cost me 30 dollars too. It's okay though, first RMA from newegg in I don't know how long.

Here is a noob question though.... will I need to reinstall Windows 7 when I replace the p8z68? I believe I read somewhere that Windows 7 is good about detecting new hardware and wouldn't be an issue. I would just like some assurance.

It's okay if not however, I think I had a bad burn on the iso because some things in Windows would take like 10 seconds to change (themes for instant). But not all the time, was kind of buggy too - dunno if that is just Windows being Windows though.

Asrock make a solid motherboard, I still have my x58 up and running with i7 920 running like a champ.

Me too!! I overnighted mine, which I never do but I think its worth the 30 dollars. Since it was 30 dollars cheaper than when I bought the p8z68-v pro. Yet, the RMA cost me 30 dollars too. It's okay though, first RMA from newegg in I don't know how long.

Here is a noob question though.... will I need to reinstall Windows 7 when I replace the p8z68? I believe I read somewhere that Windows 7 is good about detecting new hardware and wouldn't be an issue. I would just like some assurance.

It's okay if not however, I think I had a bad burn on the iso because some things in Windows would take like 10 seconds to change (themes for instant). But not all the time, was kind of buggy too - dunno if that is just Windows being Windows though.
Not 100% sure but I would think you would have to reinstall.

Pumped for this build though, first build in 3 years!!

Generally, it's a good idea to reinstall. In a pinch though, windows is pretty good about detecting new hardware, so it's ok to carry on with an old install for a bit. I wouldn't go into overclocking/gaming much though, always better have a fresh install to eliminate any chance for instability, however small.

I'm looking at one of these right now myself, it has the slot spacing I want and a nice clean black design, although the V8 logo is kind of weird. I wouldn't really try to separate myself from Asus with these boards since they are the parent company of Asrock.

hi
are people worry that asrock only has 2 years warranty compare to 3 of the other 2 brands?

also how are asrock quality? a few stores still thinks asrock are lower end..even though this board has more features and accessories that GA boards.

I normally like GA boards, but their newer XP board only has hdmi which is total bonehead decision!!
I need hdmi for game console to my lcd, so I need DVI.
GA trying to save money or bad decision choice has made them less value for money than asrock..
my last board was x58a-ud3r and it was fantastic value for money..
but z68 is dissapointing.

If I get the only board they have with dvi etc ie z68-ud3h-b3 then I would only get a 7 power phase which is crap compared to asrock..

What should I do..?
This gen 3 board looks tempting, but 2 years warranty is not as good as 3..
I also wish they put an ide hdd instead of a floppy disk which is rarely use, u can't even get floppy disk anymore..

The fatality model is good, but is also pretty expensive..

hi
are people worry that asrock only has 2 years warranty compare to 3 of the other 2 brands?

also how are asrock quality? a few stores still thinks asrock are lower end..even though this board has more features and accessories that GA boards.

1) No. With most electronics, if they last the first 90 days (assuming you use them enough to test them out) you're not that likely to have a failure.

It has been years since I've needed to RMA a mainboard for my own system. Years, as in, I had to RMA an ASUS Pentium II board, and an Abit Socket 7 board, and I had an ECS K7S5A fail, and a Foxconn Socket 939 mATX. I've used Abit, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, and Intel, probably a couple dozen boards in my own personal system over the past decade, not including those I've built for others. The few boards I've seen go bad either went quickly after purchase, or were treated badly, or came from a vendor with poor quality control (like the ECS).

2) I was concerned with Asrock's image once, and looked at them as budget boards. However, even then they had better reliability than your cheap budget boards (e.g., ECS *shudder*), and after being spun off from ASUS, they've worked hard to change that by releasing boards at all levels. Their budget stuff is competition for Biostar (who makes reasonable budget stuff), and their high-end lines are competition for everyone else. Their enthusiast gear has been praised quite highly in the past year by a lot of tech sites. So far, I've been impressed.

Last edited:
Back