ASrock Z390 Extreme4 reasonable for overclocking 9700k?

Hi All,
I'm finishing up my first build in a long time, and I'm going for a 9700k processor on a z390 motherboard. I picked up the ASRock Z390 extreme4 because it was on a great sale (129.99) but I've started to read that the VRM on it is not as good as the VRM on the Z370. Would this board be adequate to overclock a 9700k, or should I return it and look into a different option (Like the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro).

Thoughts?

If you want to overclock, I'd return it.
Watch this video:

It talks about the poor state of the Z390 as most board partners that have hamstrung VRMs. It starts with the most expensive boards and then gets into less expensive options, but I think it's an interesting watch all the way through as it will help you to understand the problem and why the certain boards were selected so you can make an informed decision. It's "only" 30 minutes, which is the length of one episode on Netflix, so it's not that bad. Also, you can watch it at 1.5x and save yourself 15 minutes and get all the info.

BuildZoid basically breaks down that most of the partners have moved to a paltry 4 phase VRM which is insufficient for any real overclocking. At stock it's "passable" but won't allow you to do much past that.

Last edited:
Back