Asrock X99 Taichi - coming soon

jester55

Weaksauce

Doesn't show much, but confirms that Asrock is releasing a refresh of their X99 boards for Broadwell-E..

Intel can bite me.
I so hope Zen takes market share.
We get nothing from Intel since the i7 5775C.
Thats a great CPU.
But even so no gains in IPC since 2600k or 3770k.

Could care less about low watts.
But the 5775C was the last gem from Intel.

These new Xtreme CPUs are a sign how Intel wants money for no gains.
1000 bucks.
Forget it..

Wonder if somewhere down the line they'll be refreshing their X99 ITX board as well.

Refreshes of X99 motherboards are incoming / already available from pretty much everyone. As for the X99 ITX board, it's hard to say. While that board is unique on the market, that niche it offers is a case for not refreshing it. The old one would probably still sell even with limitations and the amount sold probably doesn't justify the R&D budget for making the design changes.

they are getting just like intel.
Look its got a racing stripe. oooooooo
and will cost another $100

Intel can bite me.
I so hope Zen takes market share.
We get nothing from Intel since the i7 5775C.
Thats a great CPU.
But even so no gains in IPC since 2600k or 3770k.

Could care less about low watts.
But the 5775C was the last gem from Intel.

These new Xtreme CPUs are a sign how Intel wants money for no gains.
1000 bucks.
Forget it..

Time for a reality check.

Zen isn't likely to gain much market share or be some sort of Intel crushing power house or even a similarly priced alternative. Even if AMD is on the level and the 40% IPC improvement it promises compared to Excavator are true across all tests and workload types, AMD is still only roughly at parity with Haswell. AMD has a history of taking one or two tests and using that as the basis of it's statements to the press. This only leads to further disappointment and backfires against AMD, but it never seems to learn from its mistakes. Even if we take AMD at it's word, AMD needs to achieve rough clock speed parity, or have a clock speed advantage over Intel for it to be the processor you seem to be hoping for. Rumors are just rumors, but that doesn't seem very likely based on what we've heard thus far and what's been said in the many threads on this forum about that. So far it seems that all the samples AMD has put out have ridiculously low clock speeds if the rumors have any shred of truth to them. This casts doubt on AMD's ability to achieve the high clocks it needs to in order to seriously compete on a apples to apples level.

We don't know about the platform and we know it may have a lot more cores than Intel offers at certain price points, so it may be viable for the enthusiast in some usage scenarios. It's too early to tell, but as a gaming CPU, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'd love to be wrong, but AMD hasn't had a great track record for CPUs that out perform their Intel counterparts at any price point. The period where K7 and K8 variants dominated was roughly a 5 year period or so, and this was due to circumstances and company buyouts being fortuitous and coincides with Intel's Netburst gamble and ultimately, an Intel blunder that took them years to get past. It feels good sometimes to root for the underdog, but this is business and Intel's got far more resources to work with. This is worse than a David vs. Goliath type of situation. AMD is years behind Intel. That difference won't disappear over night, if ever.

We have received IPC improvements from every CPU vs. it's predecessor since the Pentium M and Core processors were introduced. The Pentium 4 and it's variants were really the only exception to the rule. We sure as hell have seen gains since the Core i7 2600K. Unfortunately these have come at the cost of a 200MHz clock speed reduction in overclocking headroom which is responsible for near parity in CPU processing power. For the enthusiast, this means that the improvements are slight from generation to generation, but they are far larger when you compare Skylake to Sandy Bridge. Being GPU bound largely makes up for this difference in games, but that doesn't mean that the IPC difference isn't there. It's just masked when looking at gaming benchmarks because the CPU isn't the primary variable that influences game performance. What you think about performance per watt is irrelevant as that's what the mobile and server markets demand. Desktop computing is a niche market at best these days, and we get processors from other markets adapted to our use. All HEDT processors are in fact Xeon E5 silicon. Everything in the consumer or mainstream market are designed with mobile considerations first. This is why iGPU improvements and performance per watt are the focuses. Pure performance is relatively easy to achieve but Intel hasn't had to do that since the Core 2 Duo came out.

And I don't know where you've been hiding all these years, but Extreme Edition CPUs are nothing new. They've existed since the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. They have always been $1,000 with two exceptions: The Core 2 Quad QX9775 Extreme Edition and the Core i7 6950X. These cost $1,549.99 and $1,749,99 respectively, although the QX9775 was intended to be paired with a second chip of the same type on Intel's D5400XS motherboard for a total cost that far eclipses the Core i7 6950X. In that context the i7 6950X is a bargain by comparison. There is nothing new about premium priced CPUs. When AMD can get away with it, they'll charge just as much as Intel as they did with the socket 939 and 940 FX CPUs.

Reviews for the board have started popping up. Both Tweaktown and Tech Yes City (the two reviews I've run across) are positive. The board should be $220 when it releases. AsRock is saying "soon" for availability on Newegg.

looks like Newegg has both the new Taichi and Fatality for sale now for $219 and $253 respectively. Other than the color scheme, the Fatality offers on-board power and reset buttons along with an extra internal front usb3 port, plus the SB Cinema audio software.

pretty good price on both considering the features, just wish they included better wifi (it's the older 1x1 intel design, but you can upgrade that yourself).

ASRock X99 Taichi LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel - Newegg.com

ASRock X99 Prof Gaming i7 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel - Newegg.com

Thats pretty sweet! I was expecting as well higher pricing.
I might just get one.

Back