ASRock X79 Extreme9

Nice board but ..... it has a big ole' 3 way SLI stamped right on the board. I want 4 way SLI/Crossfire. With 40 PCIe lanes that is 32 lanes dedicated to an 8x8x8x8x and 8 more lanes for other crap like required motherboard components etc....

I do like the 8 RAM slots though. Especially when you run XMP certified Dimms that will probably guarantee advertised speeds no matter the overclock.

Nice board but ..... it has a big ole' 3 way SLI stamped right on the board. I want 4 way SLI/Crossfire. With 40 PCIe lanes that is 32 lanes dedicated to an 8x8x8x8x and 8 more lanes for other crap like required motherboard components etc...

I believe it's because of licensing fees with Nvidia. X58 was the same. The only way you could do 4-way SLI was with a NF200 chip.

I believe it's because of licensing fees with Nvidia. X58 was the same. The only way you could do 4-way SLI was with a NF200 chip.

I've read in a couple of places that X79 will not have that limitation. nVidia is done in the chipset business and went ahead and licensed Intel for 4-way SLI on X79.

Expect the ASRock X79 Extreme9 to be counted among the costliest socket LGA2011 motherboards.

Gah! what happened to ASRock being the budget friendly mobo company?

Looks like a very nice board, but that four-pin molex connector looks awfully close to the first PCI-E slot and might pose a problem with some connectors.

Also, that VRM heatsink's silver shroud looks like it's hanging over one DIMM slot, but it looks easily removable at least.

Last edited:

That is because X79 has 40 PCI-e lanes, why is there no way you cant do 8x 8x 8x 8x quad xfire/sli with that many lanes? An NF200 chip is no longer needed anymore.

That is because X79 has 40 PCI-e lanes, why is there no way you cant do 8x 8x 8x 8x quad xfire/sli with that many lanes? An NF200 chip is no longer needed anymore.

X58 had 32 PCI-E lanes dedicated to graphics as well. The same boards that were tri-SLI certified were also quad-crossfire capable. nVidia created a BS reason requiring at least the primary card to run in x16 mode, and that required the NF200 chip.

Im liking this board alot more than the Extreme 7.

What I dont like however is that sound/nic card sits right in damn middle of the slots.

Why dont they have it as slot 1 or put it towards the bottom?

I was planning on doing 3 way sli anyway so I wont knock it that much, but so far this is definitly one of the better boards that I have seen.

Oh and BTW that is a Sound Blaster audio. If you zoom in on it you can see the logo. Probably a Bigfoot nic as well.

They probably got their own 3-way SLI-bridge for this motherboard. However, I am unaware of any information that says you cannot put the daughterboard in slot 1 and all your video cards in the remaining slots.

Im all about ROG but that is a nice board. I wont lie now that I look at it more.

Back