ASRock X79 Extreme 11

Tweaktown said mid-May according to their video, but who knows at this point. I'm waiting for this board too. Hopefully the price isn't too out there.

motherboard final version on show at computex can some one suggest black/ silver/ gold ram for it?

ugo

All in all we expect a monster of a motherboard from ASRocks Extreme range and the new ASRock LGA 2011 X79 Extreme 11 does not disappoint!

Damn I expected 600-800
Where did you see that?

Keep it in mind, his info originated by some forum post that was for the Singapore retail price.

I have more accurate details regarding the Extreme 11 pricing and sale date for U.S. It's going on sale on Wednesday for $599.99 at Neweeg. Which is a fantastic price, considering all the features. Time to return my Xpower II to Amazon :D

My source? Go ahead and call the Asrock Chino,CA location.

Nice, if the pricing is really on $600, I'll go with this instead of the Asus X79 WS.

Yeah thats more like it!!
Thnx BETA for nfo

Gonna call Amazon see if they can order it

welcome cisco,

I just called Asrock again, the price remains the same. At first the gentleman said in two weeks, but I told him I was told this Wednesday. He double checked and confirmed now Thursday or Friday on Newegg, but definitely this week and the price is definitely set in stone @ $599.99 MSRP. I inquired about Amazon, he said TBA, as it will depend on demand

yes it was on a forum post that I read half fast and it was Singapore price. My bad

600 is more like it.

Shame no thunderbolt port, but the rest of the features are great.
Lets hope its a winner!!
Just don't like the fact that intel intends to support socket 2011 for another 3 years but change the chipset next year due to DDR 4 coming out.

Looks like a monster. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one for testing.

More like Asrock X79 Extreme!!!1111one one one

I wouldn't mind one. I like what ASRock has been doing lately.

Dan, if you do get this board, it would be nice to show exactly how all the pcie lanes are routed. I see 16 each going to the plx chips, then the 4 pcie slots, so thats 32, then there is another pcie slot, you'd think for the remaining 8 lanes. However they say the LSI controller is on PCIe 3.0, so it's not on one of the extra lanes from the chipset. What lanes are going to that middle pcie slot? Does ity use switches and turn an adjacent slot into 8x and share them? Is it maybe pcie 3.0 x4 electrical? Or doe it use pcie 2.0 lanes from the chipset?

More like Asrock X79 Extreme!!!1111one one one

I wouldn't mind one. I like what ASRock has been doing lately.

I've found their quality to be hit and miss, but I think they are improving. The X79 Extreme4 was a great board.

I'm pretty sure this is how it is wired:

BlockDiagram.jpg

7 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE2/PCIE3/PCIE4/PCIE5/PCIE6/PCIE7: x16/0/16/0/16/0/16 mode or x16/8/8/8/8/8/8 mode) (2 x PLX PEX8747 Bridges to support 4-Way SLI™ in Gen3 x16/16/16/16 mode).

I just included the GPU slot lanes as 99% of people would not use anything other than the 16x speed GPU slots. This board is pretty much made only for 4-way GPU and large RAID array.

Mine will be here on Wednesday!

I'm pretty sure this is how it is wired:

BlockDiagram.jpg

7 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE2/PCIE3/PCIE4/PCIE5/PCIE6/PCIE7: x16/0/16/0/16/0/16 mode or x16/8/8/8/8/8/8 mode) (2 x PLX PEX8747 Bridges to support 4-Way SLI™ in Gen3 x16/16/16/16 mode).

I just included the GPU slot lanes as 99% of people would not use anything other than the 16x speed GPU slots. This board is pretty much made only for 4-way GPU and large RAID array.

Mine will be here on Wednesday!

Ok, so essentially it shares 8 lanes with an adjacent port. After reading the newegg details that's what I was guessing also.

I think I am going to hold off a bit. They have postponed this thing over and over again. Want to make sure they have got everything straightened out and that it is indeed retail ready.

Will be watching closely to see how you guys make out
Pegatron is no longer making ASUS mobo, so their only big customer is now ASRock. Unsure how this will pan out.

Ok, so essentially it shares 8 lanes with an adjacent port. After reading the newegg details that's what I was guessing also.

The PLX chip basically multiplexes the PCIe lanes. (I've never ever heard a straight statement to that effect, but I don't see how it could work any other way based on the block diagrams.) Like the nForce 200MCP before it, I'd expect a small latency increase. Either due to limited bandwidth between the PLX and the chipset or due to compression algorithms which enable the PLX to transfer that much data to the chipset without bottlenecking too much.

Even PLX's website isn't that clear on how these things work.

Does anyone know if we can boot from the LSI ports?

Of course you can. It would be a worthless option if you couldn't.

Uh I hope so or I wasted a lot of money lol.

Actually I just checked ASRock web site and there is a floppy image driver for the LSI. So sounds good so far.

Look's like LSI RAID config may be a little more cryptic and not as user friendly as Intel's:

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public...Files/SAS_SATA_6G_P12/SAS2IRCU_User_Guide.pdf

Of course it is more complex. I wouldn't call it more cryptic though. But people who aren't used to dealing with SCSI / SAS controllers may find it a bit daunting to configure them at first. LSI MegaRAID's are typically capable of far more feature wise than Intel RAID controllers are. However, I'd expect the Intel controller to actually be faster with SATA drives in everything but RAID-5 configurations. I haven't seen the implementation first hand, but SAS controllers are usually not any faster than SATA controllers with SATA drives. In many cases they are actually slower. They just support a lot more features if you got a good one.

Dan, any speculation on how the two PLX chip Extreme 11 might perform in comparison to native X79 with 4- GPU's? I am thinking maybe not much with the current generation but maybe a bit with the next. I bought eight Vertex 4's to run on this integrated LSI RAID chip just for the hell of it since I got them on sale. I just want to see what 3.8 GB/sec looks like in AS-SSD lol. It might be the most expensive .5 second faster game loading ever. ;)

Of course it is more complex. I wouldn't call it more cryptic though. But people who aren't used to dealing with SCSI / SAS controllers may find it a bit daunting to configure them at first. LSI MegaRAID's are typically capable of far more feature wise than Intel RAID controllers are. However, I'd expect the Intel controller to actually be faster with SATA drives in everything but RAID-5 configurations. I haven't seen the implementation first hand, but SAS controllers are usually not any faster than SATA controllers with SATA drives. In many cases they are actually slower. They just support a lot more features if you got a good one.

The LSI 2308 can't do RAID 5, it's limited to 0, 1, 1E and 10. The one nice thing is, it's PCIe 3.0, so if you load it up with 8 SSDs in RAID 0, you won't be limited by an 8x PCIe 2.0 connection. The intel is obviously limited to only 2 6.0 Gbps ports, something you won't have to worry about with the LSI. The LSI 9207-8i uses the 2308, it'll basically be that card onboard. From the review I've seen of the 9207-8i, the LSI outperforms the Intel in a single drive comparison using the Crucial M4, but SSD type will affect the numbers.

Vega, so what will you do now switch to 8 M4s instead of the 8 vertex 4?

I haven't purchased my 8 ssds yet, but was leaning towards the vertex 4

How about 8 samsung ssd's? Which you think will be the fastest?

The LSI 2308 can't do RAID 5, it's limited to 0, 1, 1E and 10. The one nice thing is, it's PCIe 3.0, so if you load it up with 8 SSDs in RAID 0, you won't be limited by an 8x PCIe 2.0 connection. The intel is obviously limited to only 2 6.0 Gbps ports, something you won't have to worry about with the LSI. The LSI 9207-8i uses the 2308, it'll basically be that card onboard. From the review I've seen of the 9207-8i, the LSI outperforms the Intel in a single drive comparison using the Crucial M4, but SSD type will affect the numbers.

I hadn't looked at the 2308 specifically. I'm used to dealing with higher end adapters in servers. But from a firmware standpoint, the controller and combination of controllers can make a lot of difference. And some testing applications highlight different areas of performance.

I hadn't looked at the 2308 specifically. I'm used to dealing with higher end adapters in servers. But from a firmware standpoint, the controller and combination of controllers can make a lot of difference. And some testing applications highlight different areas of performance.

It'll end up being the default lowend card that OEMs will brand as their own, like they currently do with the current 2108 (IBM M1505, Dell Perc H700, ect.). Still not a bad deal having it built into the board, especially if you were going to pay $300 for an 9207-8i.

Vega, so what will you do now switch to 8 M4s instead of the 8 vertex 4?

I haven't purchased my 8 ssds yet, but was leaning towards the vertex 4

How about 8 samsung ssd's? Which you think will be the fastest?

I just mention M4's as that was what was used in the test. 8x V4's should still be the fastest overall IMO.

Ugg, AE11 been pretty big bust for me so far. Keep getting d6 code on boot. "No console output devices found". Can only mean it is not recognizing the video card. I've tried all four 7970 Lightning's in all four 16x slots and no-go. Lucky me, I don't see an easy way to fix this.

Thoughts?

Try a different card and see if it's still having that problem?

I caved in on Monday and bought the Asrock Extreme 11 from Newegg, paid tax and all.. Kinda disappointed with this board's design layout and build quality. It is very difficult trying to plug in the 24 pin connector with my silverstone 1200 watt PSU and my lian li pc-v2120b, with my big bang xpower ii I was able to run the 24 pin behind the mobo, but with the asrock the 24 pin is placed unusually high so I have to run the 24 pin over the top of the mobo, no biggie fine. So much for going incognito again! The USB 3 ports are located near the 24 pin as well. Instead of coming below I now how to configure it coming from the side which makes more clutter. The board also appears to be E-ATX so it's a lil wider than ATX but holds the same height - that right there surprised me, which also causes the first PCI-E from the top to be uncomfortably close to the RAM slots... why not go atx-xl? it would be longer but it would also yield greater breathing room. The kicker here is the sata ports... I plugged in sata cables and I adjusted the length of the cables so the fit wouldn't be so tight, then the sata 3 port just popped right off. I was so pissed and immediately shipped it back to newegg as an RMA request and despite newegg being OOS the girl said they're preparing me a replacement instead of the refund I was expecting since I thought they wouldn't be able to send a replacement out and after calling Asrock who said they'd ship out another shipment in another week. I really hope newegg isn't shipping me out a return or merely 'fixed' the sata 3 port and sending it back. God I wish I was dealing with Amazon, Newegg CS feels stressful to me - they don't like taking initiative or responsibility.

That's my rant, other than that I am willing to work with the extreme 11, it holds lots of promise, just some detours here and there, at the end of the day I just want a working kickass rig.

Back