Asrock X58 extreme back in stock at the Egg

I was wondering about that board. It was very highly rated and recommended in the reviews I've read, but I keep having this bad feeling about unstable voltages on it...can someone please post how much is it's vdroop?

Wow you guys are right. The layout is excellent and the I/O comes with all the necessary ports. The color scheme sucks but the value is very high!!! Only $170

So for $170.00 I can own an X58 mobo that's a decent overclocker? Those NewEgg reviews seem too good to be true. And to think that I purchased an i7-920 (with DO stepping) from Micro Center for $200.00. If I can find a good deal on 6gigs of decent ram I can have an i7 gaming rig for the price of an i5, or close. I was gonna wait for the i5 but the i7 price was too tempting.
T out

ive been debating this board, it looks almost like a p6t (similar specs) but for like $80 less, anyone have an opinion on this board? how does it compare to say a ud4p?

Hi Tony,
Like you I've been debating this board too. Only I've been comparing it to the UD3R, as that's a bit more my price range. It has come down to dollars (alms for the poor!), and there's not much to separate the ASRock 58 Extreme from the '3R, price-wise. I'd have to find a performance-comparison link to sort out which board is the better. But both overclock the -920 to a game-friendly 3.6ghz without too much fuss. Since Asus owns ASRock, I can only hope the X58 Extreme benefits from that relationship. I went to NewEgg's site and saw that there are 26 customer reviews on this board. I can't say how much price enters into the rating, but all 26 reviewers gave the board 5 stars. Is it really that good? I don't know. But that's why we read customer reviews. And there is something to be said for satisfied customers.
So, I'm on a tight budget, and I've committed to the socket 1366 solution. In for a penny, in for a pound, as the Brits might say. Not too long ago I read somewhere that buying an i5-750, and a mob would save a few bucks over a -920 and a mobo. But a $200.00 -920 cpu and a $170.00 ASRock X58 Extreme seems a bargain to me; especially since the tech reviews around the web seem mostly favorable (not to mention those Newegg reviews).
T

Yea turbo, i have been looking at the UD3R as well, but the lack of 6 memory slots bugs me, as im a memory junkie, usually have one or two VMs running and that maxes out my 4 gigs really fast. but of course im not as experienced as others so it may just be me wasting it. I just like the idea of not having a page file. and 12gb pretty much makes me confident that i wont use one. i just wish this deal was at amazon or tiger direct because no tax (I know that your supposed to report it, but i dont really have any deductions on my taxes to begin with so i doubt the auditors going to come knocking on my door.) with tax & shipping it knocks the price up to 191. which is still pretty good. next pay check... maybe if i can still afford rent lol

hi Tony,
As a simple gamer I won't currently need more than 6 g of ram, but the Earth is young, and who knows what demands coming combat flight sims will require? ;) aar, good hunting and let us know which board you go with. I will do likewise.
T

Yea thats kinda what i thought too, 6gb is a lot on its own but it seems like a down grade to go from 8gb to 6gb even if it is faster. but then again thats probably all just in my head. I wish i could lay down the cash today, but i have to wait till the CC bill goes down to drop a couple benjis on the upgrade. First things first i gotta go pick up a 920 D0 from MC. With a bike its totally worth the hour and a half trip, and save 70+ dollars.

hey Tony, your current system is built around the q9950, and that rascal has 12megs of L2 cache. If I had that system I'd be hard pressed to get the wife to go along with me getting a new 'puter. As it was, my prior system was based on a p4-2.8C, with an Nvidia 6800 Ultra. Far less a match for an i7-920-based system than your 9950 is. Perhaps an upgrade to an X48 mobo might save you a few yen unless you need the additional computing performance. Just an observation from an old gamer. (as I recall when one could buy a socket adapter and move up to a faster 486 processor. ;))
T

Haha yea i know the q9550 is quite a beast, its not necessarily that i need to upgrade my computer its more that i need another one. and the q9550 was just a cheap(relative) upgrade from the e6600 that was in that computer for so long, which enabled me to piece together a server(the one in the sig) the q9550 computer is going into my living room, so it can play movies and be a community computer of sorts. the new computer will go into my room for all my work. Im luck that my gf lets me get away with the computer stuff, but she knew how i was before we started living together so im safe for now. If i was to upgrade my mobo id get a p45, just because i dont use multi graphics cards, and if i did i have an ati 4890 in the wings waiting. The new computer has a bunch of pieces waiting to be used,

I have a CM 840 ATCS, a Corsair 750 (which is going to switch out for the 850 in the server) and the hd4890, the only things i need now are the mobo mem cpu and maybe a couple hdd's or and ssd depending on how much money i have. I know the economys in the dump but this is really the only thing i spend a lot of money on so w/e haha

well good luck, then. seems like you ought to at least save a few $$ and buy that understanding g/f a ring or something. LOL!! :D
T

Back