Asrock X470D4U (first Ryzen server board?)

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
Saw this on TR:
https://techreport.com/news/34490/remotely-manage-your-ryzen-workstations-with-asrock-x470d4u

Specs:
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications

Is this the first Ryzen (not Eypc) 1S server board? It has official ECC support and IPMI. Would make for a nice storage and transcode server.

Already I see complaints about no 10GbE, but realistically, that would add too much cost to the board and take up too many PCIe lanes (Ryzen appears to have only 20 available).

probably for the ryzen pro cpu's which i believe still can't be bought from retailers.

probably for the ryzen pro cpu's which i believe still can't be bought from retailers.
No all ryzen CPUs support ECC. It's up to the motherboard oem on whether it will work. Most support it by default. ASRock supports it across almost all their boards. AMD isn't playing shitty games like Intel does.

The pros are long term lower TDP chips I believe.

This boards checks all my boxes for want and as long as it's not over $250 Im buying it.

How is Asrock’s IPMI?

IIRC, the lower end vendors all use the same ASPEED chipset, so it should be the same as a Supermicro 1S serverboard. Not great (and questionably secure), but functional :)

A current gen Xeon E3 board is around $250. I would expect this board to be cheaper, TBH.

IIRC, the lower end vendors all use the same ASPEED chipset, so it should be the same as a Supermicro 1S serverboard. Not great (and questionably secure), but functional :)

A current gen Xeon E3 board is around $250. I would expect this board to be cheaper, TBH.
$210 MSRP according to ASRock.

$210 MSRP according to ASRock.

Was doing the math about replacing my 4C/8T Xeon E3-1275 v3, 4x4 GB DDR3 ECC, and Supermicro X10 setup. That Xeon is still overpriced (almost $200). Board is around $50-80, so total combo would sell for maybe $280.

If I can get the X470DU for $200, I would need at least a Ryzen 2600 ($150ish) and above for me to consider it an upgrade. 2x 8GB of DDR4 Unbuffered ECC is around $150. So that would put me back $500. Basically double the price for ~50% more performance.

Conclusion: DDR4 Unbuffered ECC is what kills this deal. Maybe when its prices goes lower.

Back