ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 - Even more TR value.

Nightfire

2[H]4U
Compared to Intel's HEDT CPUs, AMD's Threadripper line has always been seen as a good value. However, the X399 motherboards took some of that away compared to the X299 motherboards. ASRock has released an X299 for $250 that offers 2.5 gigabit lan and respectable overclocking.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13927/the-asrock-x399-phantom-gaming-6-motherboard-review

It would be a great motherboard for those that want a used first gen Ryzen with the latest features.

Compared to Intel's HEDT CPUs, AMD's Threadripper line has always been seen as a good value. However, the X399 motherboards took some of that away compared to the X299 motherboards. ASRock has released an X299 for $250 that offers 2.5 gigabit lan and respectable overclocking.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13927/the-asrock-x399-phantom-gaming-6-motherboard-review

It would be a great motherboard for those that want a used first gen Ryzen with the latest features.
i didnt read the artice on anadtech, but i want to make a note about sockets....if you can avoid foxconn sockets, some ppl have troubles screwing the cpu in the foxconn-socket. Lotes-socket is the better one

i didnt read the artice on anadtech, but i want to make a note about sockets....if you can avoid foxconn sockets, some ppl have troubles screwing the cpu in the foxconn-socket. Lotes-socket is the better one

they just need to watch kyle's TR install video, he shows exactly how to install TR on a foxconn socket.

I REALLY want to pair that with the 1920X deal... however, Amazon lists it at 350$ and newegg doesn't deliver to my country...

Why? This is obviously not the board for 2970x or 2990x builds and that was already understood.

I get that, but in the future when you're looking at cheap upgrades, you're limited <shrug>.

I guess my interest in this board would be what the 3rd gen TR's are capable of under that 180W limit. Otherwise, you're going to get the same amount of cores in an AM4 package for everything but the high end that this board won't support. Granted you get more PCIe lanes and the benefits of HEDT over mainstream, but under 180W becomes more of an overlap with the mainstream parts with a higher price for the extra PCIe lanes.

I get that, but in the future when you're looking at cheap upgrades, you're limited <shrug>.

I guess my interest in this board would be what the 3rd gen TR's are capable of under that 180W limit. Otherwise, you're going to get the same amount of cores in an AM4 package for everything but the high end that this board won't support. Granted you get more PCIe lanes and the benefits of HEDT over mainstream, but under 180W becomes more of an overlap with the mainstream parts with a higher price for the extra PCIe lanes.

The best use for this board would be for someone that wants an great HEDT in the future, while having something effective now. This is great for using a cheap 1900x or 1920x and then getting a 3950x or something when TR3 prices are cheaper.

Not everyone will want to wait around for Ryzen 3, and like you point out, some live the extra I/O.

On top of that, the rumors of Ryz3n (damn, I just came up with that by accident!) seem a little far fetched right now. I am willing to wager that we will NOT be able to buy a 16 core CPU running 5 ghz for $400 in a few short months.

The reason why X399 motherboards are universally expensive has to do with the fact that the motherboard manufacturers weren't sure how Threadripper would be received. HEDT is a bit of a niche market anyway, and AMD's sales have traditionally only been a fraction of Intel's. So they played it safe going with one or two models each. We got a bit more variety when the second generation Threadripper CPUs hit the market, but prices stayed about the same because the VRM's had to be a bit beefier to handle the 2990WX.

The reason why X399 motherboards are universally expensive has to do with the fact that the motherboard manufacturers weren't sure how Threadripper would be received. HEDT is a bit of a niche market anyway, and AMD's sales have traditionally only been a fraction of Intel's. So they played it safe going with one or two models each. We got a bit more variety when the second generation Threadripper CPUs hit the market, but prices stayed about the same because the VRM's had to be a bit beefier to handle the 2990WX.
actually the board manufacturers should have to develop new mainboards specific for 2nd gen threadrippers.
yes, they have same socket as 1st gen. but many ppl have issue's with 2nd gen TR on mainboards for 1st gen. and i am not talking about bios, but about hardware-issues

actually the board manufacturers should have to develop new mainboards specific for 2nd gen threadrippers.
yes, they have same socket as 1st gen. but many ppl have issue's with 2nd gen TR on mainboards for 1st gen. and i am not talking about bios, but about hardware-issues

I never said anything about the reasons why these companies made new motherboards outside of changing the VRM design for the 2990WX. I simply stated the reasons why there were so few models out and why they were so costly. As for hardware issues, I haven't experienced this and haven't looked into it, so I can't speak to what those issues are.

Real HEDT/server boards have never been cheap, dunno what the problem is. Been buying these kind of boards back to the dual socket days.

All the X399 I've used have been great, lots of power delivery and they are routing a shitload more traces for twice the ram channels and way way more pcie lanes.

Of course they are going to cost more than the same lazy rehash of 2 channel 16 lane contrived boring shit we have gotten since 2009.
I bet if you told an engineer doing a clean and tight design on a sandy bridge board that it would be good for a decade with a couple tweaks (ddr3 to 4 from an electrical signal pov wasn't much, and pcie 3.0 works on old boards) and intel's pinout voltage changes of the week they would've laughed at you. Sad.

Back