ASRock P67 Extreme4, C.C.O. Crooked?

distortion69

Limp Gawd
Got my new PC setup about a week ago, and let me first start by saying, I turned the pc on.. selected 4.4ghz before it even booted.. and voila.. ran beautifully... So I rebooted, crunk it up, got it to post, and boot into windows @ 5.1ghz w/ 1.45 volts (I believe it was), but it was running at 60C idle.. but I was glad to see it would do it :) I have no intention of running it this way on an aftermarket cooler, much less a stock cooler, but wanted to see what it was capable of.

As I was looking for a cooler online, I did a search to see if there were any fitment issues with some of them.. and realized that you could use LGA775 coolers.. which I just so happen to have.. So I took the stock cooler off.

Tried to mount my LGA775 cooler (Xigmatek 120mm) on the Asrock p67 board.. It went on using the LGA775 labeled holes, but looked crooked as anything.. and I wasn't real confident that it was making a good connection.

Upon further inspection, even the holes look crooked to begin with..

Anyone have any experience with this? Is this normal and safe?

Thanks,
Josh

I mounted my 775 waterblock on my P67 board..and while it does fit, there is a very slight difference in the mounting hole spacing between 775 and 1155....so I doubt that your board has crooked holes...its just that mounting the 775 cooler makes them look crooked

You can buy a new back plate and mounting arms for less than $10 if you want is straight.

Last edited:
The LGA775 mounting holes are slightly rotated (or tilted) on the ASrock P67 boards, so if you mount some "old" cooler, it looks crooked - it's normal.
What are your load temps with the cooler mounted that way ?

Got my new PC setup about a week ago, and let me first start by saying, I turned the pc on.. selected 4.4ghz before it even booted.. and voila.. ran beautifully... So I rebooted, crunk it up, got it to post, and boot into windows @ 5.1ghz w/ 1.45 volts (I believe it was), but it was running at 60C idle.. but I was glad to see it would do it :) I have no intention of running it this way on an aftermarket cooler, much less a stock cooler, but wanted to see what it was capable of.

As I was looking for a cooler online, I did a search to see if there were any fitment issues with some of them.. and realized that you could use LGA775 coolers.. which I just so happen to have.. So I took the stock cooler off.

Tried to mount my LGA775 cooler (Xigmatek 120mm) on the Asrock p67 board.. It went on using the LGA775 labeled holes, but looked crooked as anything.. and I wasn't real confident that it was making a good connection.

Upon further inspection, even the holes look crooked to begin with..

Anyone have any experience with this? Is this normal and safe?

Thanks,
Josh

You can use LGA 1156 blocks/fans with the LGA 1155.

I never heard that 775 would work.

You can use LGA 1156 blocks/fans with the LGA 1155.

I never heard that 775 would work.

The Asrock P67 Extreme 4 has a 2nd set of mounting holes for 775 coolers. Other than that, its not a good idea to mount coolers with hole spacing that is the wrong size.

Last edited:
The LGA775 mounting holes are slightly rotated (or tilted) on the ASrock P67 boards, so if you mount some "old" cooler, it looks crooked - it's normal.
What are your load temps with the cooler mounted that way ?

I haven't attempted any tests yet.. I put a thin layer of thermal paste, and checked the residue on the cooler to make sure it was nicely planted in the center of the socket and making a good connection and it was perfect. I think you are right, it's just made to be cocked at an angle. The only drawback is the fan positioning will not make a straight shot to my exhaust fans, but I don't suspect this will matter much as that should still be pulled out pretty easily with the 120mm.

I will have #'s next time I get some free time :)

Thanks,
Josh

Back