ASRock h97m-itx - Bad Mobo Memory Slot?

maclem8223

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the board but just wanted to run it by you guys...I picked up another stick of RAM (exact same) to put my HTPC at 16GB total. As soon as I put in the second stick I'm getting no video signal but the pc does turn on. My first thought is what the hell does adding a second stick of memory have to do with my video signal. It's not a bad stick as I swapped it out in slot 1 with the current working one and everything is fine. As soon as I add a second I've got no video signal....Thoughts?

There is a lot of troubleshooting still here that needs to be done. You said its exactly the same. However what are the symptoms of the pc? do you have the internal speaker plugged in to hear beeps? did you try clearing the bios first? I have to assume that mobo will handle 16gb as thats a pretty low number anyway. What other things have you tried? did you try some other ram at all in both slots?

There is a lot of troubleshooting still here that needs to be done. You said its exactly the same. However what are the symptoms of the pc? do you have the internal speaker plugged in to hear beeps? did you try clearing the bios first? I have to assume that mobo will handle 16gb as thats a pretty low number anyway. What other things have you tried? did you try some other ram at all in both slots?

Yes, exact same RAM, no beeps coming from mobo. The board does accept up to 16GB. i will start with pulling the RAM out of my other system and try it out, then clear BIOS. But I don't see how different RAM is going to change anything since both of these sticks work perfectly find individually. Will try either way, thanks.

So both sticks of RAM work perfectly in that second RAM slot?0

So both sticks of RAM work perfectly in that second RAM slot?0

The slots are labeled A1 and B1 in the manual, with A1 being the closest to the CPU. Absolutely nothing is working in the B1 slot. I've tried a total of six stick of RAM at my disposal. I pulled both the Crucial 8GB stick from the HTPC and put them in my gaming rig (individually and as dual channel) the pc fires right up no problems. I also pulled my Corsair Vengeance Pro from the Gaming rig. Tried all 4 8 GB sticks individually in slot A1 on the HTPC and it fires right up. As soon as I add a second stick I've got nothing, the pc will turn on but I have no video signal and can't do anything. I tried the DP, and HDMI on the back just in case...no luck.
EDIT: Just confirmed the BIOS and drivers are all up to date.

Last edited:
Just to be clear: With just a single stick of RAM in slot B1, as in the only stick of RAM in that PC, there's still no screen? If that's the case, then the motherboard is defective.

But just for giggles and shits, try your gaming rig's CPU in that HTPC just to rule out a possible defective CPU. It's very very very rare but worth looking into nonetheless.

Just to be clear: With just a single stick of RAM in slot B1, as in the only stick of RAM in that PC, there's still no screen? If that's the case, then the motherboard is defective.

But just for giggles and shits, try your gaming rig's CPU in that HTPC just to rule out a possible defective CPU. It's very very very rare but worth looking into nonetheless.

Just for shits and giggles that would be a serious pain in my ass...I'd rather not. And yes one single stick in B1 there is still no screen.

Back