Asrock Extreme 6 vs MSI GD65 or others for 4770k build?

Activate: AMD

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking about putting together a new build to replace my aging i7-950 build with something faster and cooler. I'm on something of a budget so I'd like to keep it reasonable, and with that in mind two boards have kind of jumped out at me so far: Asrock Extreme 6 and the MSI GD-65. Between the two, I believe the Asrock has the more complete feature set, but I've had good experiences with MSI in the past and hear good things about the GD-65. I've also examined a number of the options in a similar (+/- $50) price range, and haven't come across any that really hit on what I want. Asus boards either lack features or are bloated and expensive (classic up-selling techniques). Gigabyte's boards this generation seem lackluster and I'm in no rush to buy another Gigabyte after my X58A-UD3R started flaking out on me (another reason to upgrade)

Anyway, fire away with any suggestions or alternatives.

Why not over clock the i7-950 and hold off on upgrading? Do you have an ssd? That would be a better upgrade.

If you are going to upgrade anyway I vote for the msi. I think they have the best bang for the buck right now. Agree that Asus is overpriced, still the safest bet if money is not a priority though.

My personal experience with asus, msi, and asrock boards has been positive across the board. I have heard folks having issues with Gigabyte boards lately, ymmv.

Why not over clock the i7-950 and hold off on upgrading? Do you have an ssd? That would be a better upgrade.

If you are going to upgrade anyway I vote for the msi. I think they have the best bang for the buck right now. Agree that Asus is overpriced, still the safest bet if money is not a priority though.

My personal experience with asus, msi, and asrock boards has been positive across the board. I have heard folks having issues with Gigabyte boards lately, ymmv.
My rig is fairly high-end save for the somewhat outdated CPU/Motherboard. 2x7970's, SSD, etc. The 950 was overclocked in the past to over 4ghz, but my motherboard started to flake out. Lost the onboard NIC and all stability in my overclock. Thats part of the reason I'd like to upgrade again. That and the fact that I could probably drop my power consumption by 60-70W at least @ stock by going to Z87, all while performing significantly better.

I see, that makes sense why you would want to upgrade. Besides, upgrading is fun, right:)

Let us know how the upgrade goes and which board you pick. Good luck.

I have the ASROCK x79 Extreme 6. Pretty nice board and a good overclocker.

Why not get an x79 setup?

I just finished building my rig and got the ASRock 990FX Extreme 9. So far so good, and planning on tweaking it a bit this weekend...

I have the ASROCK x79 Extreme 6. Pretty nice board and a good overclocker.

Why not get an x79 setup?

I have seen basically nothing that would make me believe that X79 fits into my needs at this point. I don't need the extra cores, and I won't be shooting for 3-way SLI anytime soon (not with CF'd 7970's already). Its a lot of extra money for very little benefit.

I just finished building my rig and got the ASRock 990FX Extreme 9. So far so good, and planning on tweaking it a bit this weekend...

Glad to hear you're liking your Extreme 9, though I won't be picking an AMD board. sounds like most people are generally pleased with their Asrock boards, which gives me a lot more confidence in choosing them.

Do ASRock boards only have a 1 year warranty? On newegg under specs it shows 1 year for the Extreme 9.

Back