Asrock B450 post times with an R5 3600

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
Ok, before we go on, I want to say that the R5 3600, even at stock settings, is a lot faster than the 1600 or 2600 that I replaced. However, although I am using the 1.0.0.4B Agesa Bios in the Asrock B450 mITX Fatality Gaming board, after I upgraded to the 3600, posts times increased from literally 4 seconds with a boot time of 10 seconds to the login screen and now, I get 15 second posts times and probably about 21 or so seconds boot times to the login screen.

Now, to some, I understand that it is not a big deal. However, to me, I think that increasing the post times by 3 times longer is significant. Therefore, any suggestions on what I could do? Asrock support basically said it is an AMD agesa problem and there is nothing they can do about it. Thanks.

Ok, before we go on, I want to say that the R5 3600, even at stock settings, is a lot faster than the 1600 or 2600 that I replaced. However, although I am using the 1.0.0.4B Agesa Bios in the Asrock B450 mITX Fatality Gaming board, after I upgraded to the 3600, posts times increased from literally 4 seconds with a boot time of 10 seconds to the login screen and now, I get 15 second posts times and probably about 21 or so seconds boot times to the login screen.

Now, to some, I understand that it is not a big deal. However, to me, I think that increasing the post times by 3 times longer is significant. Therefore, any suggestions on what I could do? Asrock support basically said it is an AMD agesa problem and there is nothing they can do about it. Thanks.

I haven't really noticed any big jump in post times on my GF's B450M Steel Legend. I'll have to double check for you to see if it's an ASRock issue or not. She also is on a 3600.

I haven't really noticed any big jump in post times on my GF's B450M Steel Legend. I'll have to double check for you to see if it's an ASRock issue or not. She also is on a 3600.

Whenever you have the time, thanks. I usually check mine by opening the Task Manager in Windows 10, going to the Startup tab and it gives me the last bios time.

i'd look at memory training on boot as the primary culprit. if the boards having to constantly do memory training then your post times will be super long.

Whenever you have the time, thanks. I usually check mine by opening the Task Manager in Windows 10, going to the Startup tab and it gives me the last bios time.

I had 19.6 seconds last time. I honestly don't remember what my bios times were like before I installed the 3600, but it looks like it's an ASRock issue of some sort whether it be the memory training or something else.

I had 19.6 seconds last time. I honestly don't remember what my bios times were like before I installed the 3600, but it looks like it's an ASRock issue of some sort whether it be the memory training or something else.

I agree, it appears to have something to do with the memory training, and there is no way to disable it, that I could find.

Just a heads up, I called Asrock today and the person I got, as helpful as he was, was not particularly knowledgeable about the mainboards they sell, or simple has more to learn. I spoke with him about PBO and he said it had been removed from the mainboards I have. However, I looked through the menus to find a way to disable memory training and found that there is PBO on my mainboards, afterall. :) I also called AMD and they were far more helpful, now I just need to email them the information they requested. :)

Just so everyone is informed, it appears the longer post times is because of the 1.0.0.4 bios itself, or at least Asrock's implementation of it. My AB350 mITX board had the 1004 bios installed and post times where 3 times as long. Since I have the 2600 installed in it, I downgraded back to the pre 1003ab bios and sure enough, my post times on that board are back down to 4 seconds again. Hope this helps.

Have you tried using the ryzen memory calculator tool? I feel like I ran through the settings for my corsair ram 2666 and got a noticable bump in boot and system performance. Also have asrock b450itx latest bios with phision e12 ssd for boot so not sure if that makes a significant difference.

Have you tried using the ryzen memory calculator tool? I feel like I ran through the settings for my corsair ram 2666 and got a noticable bump in boot and system performance. Also have asrock b450itx latest bios with phision e12 ssd for boot so not sure if that makes a significant difference.

What CPU and bios revision are you using please? I may have to do as you suggest but, everything was running fine and fast before the upgrade, even with XMP enabled. Thanks.

3600x and the 1.04b latest one. I will time a boot to see how fast it is though to verify.

For Comparison if it helps all. I have a 3600 on the Gigabyte B450 Aorus itx with the latest bios.

From last boot this evening Last Bios Time: 10.8 sconds.

last boot time.PNG

For Comparison if it helps all. I have a 3600 on the Gigabyte B450 Aorus itx with the latest bios.

From last boot this evening Last Bios Time: 10.8 sconds.

View attachment 228070

Thanks. Usually, only the Asrock has the Ultra Fast boot that basically makes post time down to about 4 or seconds but, this is still helpful, regardless. :) In fact, your bios time is 1 second faster than mine, where mine used to be 4.0 or so seconds, before the upgrade.

I have the Asrock B450 itx also running a 1600 (my Daughters PC) and yes it boots freaking fast. Really nice actually!

Well, it appears the standard version of Intel Burn Test works properly with the R5 3600. However, the AVX version of it does not work with it, at all. Right now, I am keeping the voltage of the cpu as static 1.3 or so volts at 4.2 GHz on both computers.

Well, I left the R5 3600 in my Asrock B450 Fatality Gaming mITX with Reference RX 5700 (Flashed with XT Bios) because it made a significant difference. However, in my system with the Vega 64, I reinstalled the R5 2600 at 4.1 GHz, placed my R5 1600 AE at 4.0 GHz in my B350 Fatality Gaming mITX system with a Vega 56 Reference (Vega 64 Bios flashed) and then returned my other 3600 for a refund.

The thing is, I saw little to no real world difference in my Vega 64 System (4K TV) and I could not use the 3600 in my Vega 56 System (1080p 144hz monitor). The 3600 did let the RX5700 really open up, even at 1440p and was worth it in that one system. Now the other two systems post quickly once again. :)

Back