ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 for $84 AR, free shipping

I'm frothing from my bile duct. How does this compare to the new gigabyte aura itx flavor?

Hmmm... which CPU and memory you guys thinking for this MB? Its such a pain trying to figure out memory for Ryzen builds.

Hmmm... which CPU and memory you guys thinking for this MB? Its such a pain trying to figure out memory for Ryzen builds.

It's not as big of a deal as it used to be with Zen+ and 2nd gen boards. Pretty much anything will work at or around 3000mhz. The Ryzen memory calculator is your friend. Obviously the 3200mhz Cas 14 B-die is great, but expensive. I've run Ryzen builds on Hynix memory at 2933-3000 Cas 15-16 without issues though.

I will say that I had better luck with Asus boards compared to ASRock in terms of memory compatibility, but it isn't like the ASRock board was bad. Just wouldn't always hit 3000mhz (that was with a 2600 and 2700).

Budget?
Be [H] and get a 2700x

No fixed budget, I just want to retire an 8600k and get more cores (8+8). I got an ASrock B350 Pro4 for free, so I'm going back and forth between buying requisite expensive ram and a 2700x for that board, or dropping a 9900k into my current Z370i and calling it a day. Total cost won't be much different.

I've also considered a TR build since MC has 2920x for $549 (that's pretty damn tempting for 12+12 cores), but its probably more than I need.

No fixed budget, I just want to retire an 8600k and get more cores (8+8). I got an ASrock B350 Pro4 for free, so I'm going back and forth between buying requisite expensive ram and a 2700x for that board, or dropping a 9900k into my current Z370i and calling it a day. Total cost won't be much different.

I've also considered a TR build since MC has 2920x for $549 (that's pretty damn tempting for 12+12 cores), but its probably more than I need.
Can't go wrong with the 9900k, but I would be quite interested in seeing what AMD can come up with for 7nm.

That said if money is not of major concern, I would steer you to the Asus AM4 ITX lineup. The VRM and feature set is a bit nicer, especially if you intend on upgrading to a higher core count 7nm CPU.

If you are on a i5 8600k you should just get a 9900k and be done with it if your board supports it. Otherwise wait for zen 2.

Back