ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM 3+ hdd problem

Florin22xxl

Limp Gawd
One of my friends has the fallowing mainboard :ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM 3+. Recently he put a system together but the mainboard doesnt see his HDD,a Hdd Samsung 500 Gb HJ Sata 2. Seems the board only has serial ata 3 ports ,5 of them,but from what i know it should still see the hdd.He set it up on ide and ahci,but bios doesnt see anything.Changed conectors,tryed hdd on other pc works.....the only thing he didint try was update bios.Any other sugestions?
thisi is the board: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=970 extreme3
tks

I have the same board and yes, it should see SATA 2 disks just fine. I have 2 SATA2 disks and no problem. He may want to try to change SATA cable though. I did have problem initially with one of the disks, because the cable was for some reason getting too loose on the connector.

He may also want to try re-seating the motherboard, making sure that there isn't some standoff shorting locally the motherboard.

If all fails, RMA it. Asrock boards often arrive DOA on some component of the board.

What Cpu does he have ? Might need bios update if its a Fx chip. would also try a different HD just to see if it show up even though the samsung works in another rig.

Did you try using a different hdd? as already mentioned by other people - try another cable and another hdd if you have access to one.
Is the drive new? Try connecting it another board or externally if you have an adapter

A little update. Yesterday we did some tests. Aparently the mobo is ok,we tryed 2 other hdd's and they work. Seems the problem is just with one hdd,the main drive a samsung 500gb hd502HJ. We made update to mobo bios,and we tried to update the hdd firmware, but on samsungs site it says the hdd has the latest firmware....is there anything left to do to make this hdd work with the mainboard?seems kinda stupid for a mainboard to not be able to recconize a hard drive....

I see you did try the hard drive in another computer. Not reading thoroughlyor comprehending. Cleaning the hard drive electronics with a brush and possibly alcohol could eliminate any chance of trickle or "tin whisker" short if the drive has problems. BIOS update might add compatibility for the drive. It is SATA 2, so it could be getting old or somehow incompatible with the board.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is going on with ASRock quality control, bought two of their boards and they both have issues on them. One kept disconnecting and reconnecting my audio device and switching them between speakers and headphones.

Back