Asrock 775 Dual VSTA Incompatible with Nvidia 8800 series

no problem...

I have no idea what the setting does. When I had it turned on, certain games would show some ugly weird geomety and texture issues such as triangles that seemed to spike out and go to infinity or take up the entire screen. turning the setting off eliminated the issue.

NV4_disp.dll errors usually happen on my system because of OC instability especially when the RAM is not configured properly.

What's your RAM speed and latencies set at and what are you now running the FSB at?

My A-Data DDR2-6400 (2gigs worth) is running at 4-4-4-12 2T, and 290MHz. FSB : DRAM is running @ 1:1 ratio, and my FSB is at 290MHz, which according to all the reading I did back when I got this board and my own testing is the highest FSB you can run on this board without modifying it (doing the "pencil mod" I think they called it if my memory serves correctly). I had another guy on a flight simulator board who had an identical setup to mine (E4400, ASRock Dual VSTA, 9800GT) tell me that his nv4_disp errors went away when he got rid of his overclock as well - but unfortunately that slows the simulator down so much that you lose most of the benefit of the faster graphics card that you just bought lol

I'll be honest, this system is the first that I've ever overclocked and I basically read a few tutorials on here and other overclocking forums and went at it. 290mhz was stable in Prime95 and Orthos for over 24 hours and what not back when I first put this proc and mobo in, and I just went with it. I never once messed with my RAM timings because a) I didn't really know what I was doing with ram settings, and b) the system was stable in those tests mentioned earlier and I never had any crashes or freeze ups. Perhaps its time for me to really learn about OCing RAM and make sure that I have appropriate settings for it...

I know on my board i cannot even come close to 290FSB stable so i run at 266 with everything running in sync and its all good but that's not to say your board can't.

What PSU do you have? You may be experiencing power issues- you should at least have a decent 450-550W PSU with enough 12V rail power.

Prime95 and orthos are good tests but they don't account for the extra power that is needed by the video card. Try running orthos and prime95 with 3dmark06 running. :)

I've got a Silverstone Zeus 550W, it's probably the most "high end" component of my system I'd say, so I hope (and doubt) it is a problem.

I've been running the system for the last 2 days (since I posted last) and haven't had any freezes that required shutting down. I have had 2, perhaps 3 freezes for maybe 3-5 seconds, but then things worked again - this is with hours and hours of time on the computer in the last 2 days. No blue screen of death in the last 2 days (been running at 290 Sync which puts the PCI-E at 109mhz).

Every once in a while I hear some kind of "click" - sounds like a mechanical click of some sort, that I think is associated with these momentary freeze ups. I've heard the click probably 5 or 6 times, and shortly afterwards I had a freezup (momentary) occur. As I said above I've only had 2-3 momentary freezups and I've heard this click more times than that, but I do think they are at least partly related. After wards though, things go back to normal, no ill effects that I can tell.

I am going to try backing down my OC a bit, try 266 (which will give a 100 PCI-E in Sync mode) and up my VDIMM and VAGP (is the VAGP voltage necessary even when I'm running PCI-E?) and see if I get any more clicks or freezes of any kind over the next few days.

Again, thanks for your help man.

The VAGP voltage settings adjusts southbridge voltage, I believe, which can help stability. The preset 4coredual voltage adjustments are minor and should only cause a nominal increase in heat.

Stick, should people who dont overclock these boards also mess around with the voltage settings or are they good as is? Ive not had any problems since I got the board, except occasionally Windows doesnt load and I have to turn the computer manually off and back on-- this happens about once a week. Sometimes my usb mouse and keyboard dont "turn on" and I have to disconnect them for a few min shut the computer off and turn it back on later, this also happens about once a week.

those cold boot issues seem indicative of problems powering the video card. more voltage could possibly help and/or a newer high quality PSU

Stick, do you think my issue is because of an underpowered power supply too? It doesnt happen often, but sometimes, my computer POSTs but right when the OS is supposed to load... it doesnt. Instead, I get a blank black screen after POST and the computer just sits there, and I have to manually power it off and back on. It doesnt happen often... maybe one out of every 10 boot ups. Why do you think this might happen, even if it is infrequent? I have a pretty good PSU, its a Corsair VX 550, with a single 12V rail that supplies 41 AMP power.

BTW, I got some new memory for my computer, because the 2 GB dual channel Samsung memory I had was causing blue screens (new memory is 2 GB dual channel Crucial DDR2-667), and I put the EVGA 8800 GTS SSC in and took out the MSI 8800 GTS and put that in a different computer. Recently, my internet connection started going haywire, and after the cable company replaced my modem and wiring, I was still getting 80% packet loss so I figured that the ethernet adapter on the 4 core dual mobo must have died (although it still shows as active in Control Panel, the numbers only change very slowly) so I got myself a NetGear Gigabit Ethernet PCI adapter (which runs at 100 mbps on this motherboard) and all is well again. Anyone else experience a dying ethernet adapter on this mobo? First time Ive ever had that happen to me, and the mobo is only 2 years old. I wonder what could have caused it?

Last edited:
Back