AsRock 5700 XT Challenger or Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse

Huh. Was playing PUBG just now, and everything was going smooth af. Great framerates, ~140 avg on Ultra settings. Fans kept changing RPM's and then all of a sudden -- shut down. No artifacts or stuttering. No warnings. Just boof. Is 600w not enough for one of these?

Edit:
No overclocks. Not on the CPU, nor the GPU. Just plain, out of the box settings.

Which exact PSU do you have? They are pretty decent on power use. My card with 50% PL and 220Mhz/900Mhz clocks draws 230W (before the loss from converting from AC to DC).

I think it's an EVGA 600B. I can't make sure right now because I am on my way out the door for work. I will post back later tonight.

OK. Since I followed everyone's directions here and reloaded windows, and uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers after making sure I had all of the Windows updates done, I haven't run into any more BSOD's. I believe the shutting down issue was solved by disabling ( uninstalling ) the Fan Xpert 4 that is included in Asus' AI suite, as since I have disabled it, I haven't run into any issues.

I did try out the card in the second PCI-e slot for shits and giggles, after I got the new PSU ( a Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 ). But that is when I noticed the Fan Xpert was set to 'silent'. I am going to assume at this point, that the CPU had shut down due to thermals because of this, and that the fluctuation was it fighting itself to not overheat.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
OK. Since I followed everyone's directions here and reloaded windows, and uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers after making sure I had all of the Windows updates done, I haven't run into any more BSOD's. I believe the shutting down issue was solved by disabling ( uninstalling ) the Fan Xpert 4 that is included in Asus' AI suite, as since I have disabled it, I haven't run into any issues.

I did try out the card in the second PCI-e slot for shits and giggles, after I got the new PSU ( a Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 ). But that is when I noticed the Fan Xpert was set to 'silent'. I am going to assume at this point, that the CPU had shut down due to thermals because of this, and that the fluctuation was it fighting itself to not overheat.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad to hear it. That software is utter trash. I have had 3 Asus boards where it either runs but will not control the fan speeds I tell it or the program will just not open, freeze or crash.

That kinda crap is the reason I stayed stuck in the old ways of using a manual fan controller for so long. I did not spend $30 pet fan (have 7 of them) for them to run at full speed when it's not needed with the amount of rad space I have.

/Rant

Newegg received my card yesterday, they didn't have any in stock so they refunded me. Now to see which card between the Gigabyte and Sapphire comes in stock first.

What about the MSI MECH?

Given how bad their QA was on the msi evoke I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole unless you start seeing reviewers taking it apart and showing proper thermal pads on it.

edit
(didn't notice the typo til now since i made this post on my phone)

Last edited:
AMD and Sapphire go back a long way; IIRC Sapphire was the company that made ATI-branded cards. XFX and ASUS would be the only other AIB card brands I would trust (XFX used to have a generous warranty until the miners destroyed it and I'm an ASUS fanboy).

AMD and Sapphire go back a long way; IIRC Sapphire was the company that made ATI-branded cards. XFX and ASUS would be the only other AIB card brands I would trust (XFX used to have a generous warranty until the miners destroyed it and I'm an ASUS fanboy).

XFX got rid of the lifetime warranty a few years before the mining craze mostly due to people abusing it trying to turn in old ass 6000 series nvidia cards and 8k series nvidia cards 8+ years later trying to get lucky and get a gtx 200 series card in return. only to bitch on forums when they got 9600/9800GT's in return.

but yeah sapphire's one of the OG radeon AIB's.. all the others are long gone. that being said i'd still take sapphire over all the others when it comes to AMD GPU's.. have run many of their cards, never had an issue and never had to use their customer service.. all of the cards i have from them still work now.

Last edited:
Okay, assholes killed it. The XFX rep here seemed to indicate that mining had a lot to do with it and if I was less lazy I'd look that up. But for now you'll just have to make do with my hazy recollection.

XFX got rid of the lifetime warranty a few years before the mining craze mostly due to people abusing it trying to turn in old ass 6000 series nvidia cards and 8k series nvidia cards 8+ years later trying to get lucky and get a gtx 200 series card in return. only to bitch on forums when they got 9600/9800GT's in return.

but yeah sapphire's one of the OG radeon AIB's.. all the others are long gone. that being said i'd still take sapphire over all the others when it comes to AMD GPU's.. have run many of their cards, never had an issue and never had to use their customer service.. all of the cards i have from them still work now.

Their customer service is horrendous. I submitted my 7950 3 times and never got a working card back. Generally speaking though, I've had good luck with their cards when they work. It's just when they don't you can't expect much (pretty much all AIB partners have a bad track record though, except maybe EVGA as long as you follow all their guidelines).

Back