asp.net control for scanning in documents

iansilv

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know of a good product for putting an ocr paperless office document scanning solution in to a webapp? i would like my clients to be able to upload a document to a webcontrol and have the document be ocr'd and automatically associated with a file. Is this possible? i guess the scanning does not have to be directly to the site, but it would be nice. I plan on having an off-rackspace server to store these documents to save on bandwidth. Thoughts?

From what I've seen so far, this is normally done through a stand-alone OCR module or library, or a OCR API that is used to send documents to the back-end OCR processing server. Of the latter, I know that "BEA Web Logic" (www.bea.com) has a Dot Net kit for sending files to the main Java server app for processing. What you ultimately do with the file it generates is at your discretion. Hopefully other members will have some OCR suggestions as well.

Though the process of "sending" the files to the server for processing should also be thought through. Will you be scanning one image per page and merging at the server, sending in one giant continuous scanned image of each document, etc.? You don't have to answer these questions here, but you'll want to have them answered when choosing the OCR product that will be the best fit for your needs.

Getting a managed file uploader application, like the ASPUpload.Net from "Web Super Goo" (www.websupergoo.com) or the Dot Net version of the "SAFileUp" application, may also prove beneficial. It's easier to manage/debug from code, and is more stable under load than the normal ASP File Uploader control.

Back