ASmedia USB 3.1 driver ruins Windows 10 sleep mode on Intel boards?

DTN107

Supreme [H]ardness
So I noticed a few computers coming my way that is having trouble waking up from sleep mode and I think I narrowed it down the ASmedia USB 3.1 driver. All three systems were built recently from two different people.

Symptoms: Waking up PC from sleep mode by keyboard or mouse (plugged into a regular USB 3.0 port) leads to no display output, fans running at max, and having to do a hard reboot.

ASUS Z97-A / USB 3.1
Intel i7-4790k
2x8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600
525GB Crucial MX300
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti

ASrock Z97 Extreme6/3.1
Intel i5-4690K
2x8GB Crucial DDR3-1600
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
EVGA GTX 970

MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Intel i7-4789k
2x8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
256GB Plextor SSD
MSI GTX 1070

***All boards were tested with older bios and latest bios which didn't help at all***

I have gone through dozens and dozens of reading countless threads about having to change the power options in Windows (do not turn off power to hdd after 20 mins) and other things that didn't work. Uninstalling the updated nvidia drives and using the Windows update to install a 2017 driver seem to help a bit. All three computers were able to wake up from sleep mode (if it was less than a couple hours into sleep mode).

However long term sleep mode (12+ hours) it showed the same issue as before.

However each time the PC fail to wake up from sleep mode, I noticed the ASmedia USB 3.1 drivers would be missing from device manager and reinstall the drivers from each mobo vendor website would fail and could not detect the USB HOST Controller. The only way to bring it back was to clear the bios and then eventually reappear in device manager.

But each time ASMedia USB 3.1 would return to the device manager, it would also bring along the sleep bug issue. After just completely disabling ASMedia USB3.1 (and losing 2x usb ports on each board), the sleep bug is no longer return.

I don't know if anyone has a real solution but I google the hell out of this and there are folks still having issues with it today and going about it perhaps the wrong way. As far as it seems to me, there is an issue with ASMedia drivers with nvidia drivers that isn't fixed nor does it seem like it will ever be fixed. I mainly posted this in hopes that people who are googling this issue would come across this thread and avoid the countless generic answers from Microsoft "solutions". The only fix so far after working on this for a week is to just disable the ASMedia USB 3.1 entirely.

Cliffnotes:

ASmedia driver + latest nvidia driver = Fail to wake up from short sleep mode 9/10 times. Fail to wake up from long term sleep mode (12+ hours) every time.

ASmedia driver + nvidia driver from 2017 = Able to wake up from short sleep mode. Fail to wake up from long term sleep mode (12+ hours) every time.

Disable ASmedia + nvidia driver from 2017 = No sleep bug issue at all

Disable ASmeida + latest nvidia driver = *Forgot to test this*

Last edited:
Back