Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks.

It's crazy just seeing the two different cards working in multi gpu let alone the performance increase is better than 2 offerings from the same company.

AMD is better when they are the primary card. And microstuttering for AMD still ruins whatever FPS gains AMD makes.

Interesting article. I wonder what a 980 Ti and a say a 650 Ti would do together.

No motive to mix and match either. Not that we should.

Well say you have a 980ti and AMD's next generation offering is 15% faster than Pascal. You can make the AMD card #1 and then reuse your old 980ti. Today you would have to mothball your old card. In the future, you get to reuse it again for a performance gain.

Same thing if you want to use your 980ti and new Pascal card. Don't need to plunk down money for two new cards; just reuse your old one and mate it with your new card.

AMD has been doing somewhat similarly for awhile. But you always wanted to stay within the same general family for card matching. Now with this you can match old cards and new cards as long as they are DX12 compliant. Even the iGPU on an Intel or AMD CPU with your video card for use as a graphics coprocessor. If you remember the old math coprocessors from long ago. ;)

Well I don't think I would ever have two top tier AMD + NV cards in the same system.

One's going screw up the other in some way. If not, I'm sure NV is going to make it so. :p

I'd like to see if I can pick-up 5-10 fps in this game with a phys-x type mainstream card. That would be a reasonable scenario for using two different cards.

The main point is there doing this without the use of a bridge to link the cards together?

I have a 770GTX 4Gb and a R9-290X and a R9-280 .. I guess when they release this build I can test it out..

https://steamcommunity.com/app/228880/discussions/1/490123938427454110/

Developer confirming release on Linux via Vulkan once available. Vulkan support should allow the mixed GPU configurations and DX12 paths on Windows 7 as well.

Yep just read this. Good stuff. Eventually they should realize they can drop DX12 and focus on Vulkan, since it will support not only Windows 10 like DX12, but additionally Windows 7, 8 and SteamOS/Linux - that's many more potential buyers for their games.

Yep just read this. Good stuff. Eventually they should realize they can drop DX12 and focus on Vulkan, since it will support not only Windows 10 like DX12, but additionally Windows 7, 8 and SteamOS/Linux - that's many more potential buyers for their games.

Were all hoping that it will work as a domino effect ;)

Yeah, once Vulkan is ready for primetime developers should be a lot less eager to use DX12 and increasing their porting time between platforms.

I go from 28.2 FPS @DX11 to 48.4 FPS @DX12. The gameplay is smooth enough for my ****tastic ability to multitask so many units and factories.

Some of their slides are really unexpected. In particular - the one with NVidia doing better in DX12, but only on AMD processors yet doing worse on Intel.:confused:

Oh and the ingame benchmark doesn't benefit from more cores on AMD processors unless you go to a multi-GPU setup. They kind of tested that indirectly by using the FM2+ processor but it also has a much slower clockspeed than the FX-9590. I'm pretty sure more cores would help in actual gameplay with AI's, because they are fully multithreaded (according to their PR videos at least). The benchmark only seems to be using two players, and it is highly unlikely any AI is involved at all since it's scripted.

I go from 28.2 FPS @DX11 to 48.4 FPS @DX12. The gameplay is smooth enough for my ****tastic ability to multitask so many units and factories.

Some of their slides are really unexpected. In particular - the one with NVidia doing better in DX12, but only on AMD processors yet doing worse on Intel.:confused:

Oh and the ingame benchmark doesn't benefit from more cores on AMD processors unless you go to a multi-GPU setup. They kind of tested that indirectly by using the FM2+ processor but it also has a much slower clockspeed than the FX-9590. I'm pretty sure more cores would help in actual gameplay with AI's, because they are fully multithreaded (according to their PR videos at least). The benchmark only seems to be using two players, and it is highly unlikely any AI is involved at all since it's scripted.

From what I have seen this game does not push batches , for more cores (6+) to work better you are looking at 100K batches. AOTS does 20K batches ? BF4 does about 30K+ batches in Mantle.

From what I have seen this game does not push batches , for more cores (6+) to work better you are looking at 100K batches. AOTS does 20K batches ? BF4 does about 30K+ batches in Mantle.

Heavy settings the batches go up to 50k or more for AOS. But this is highly dependent on the hardware and frame rates that you are getting, it will change as the algorithm for batching is variable and of course the game play is always different in the benchmark too.

The A.I. is on during the benchmarks. The unit's starting positions is scripted. That's why you get vastly different CPU frame rate each run. Brad Wardell said that certain hardware vendors wanted a more scripted benchmark and complained behind closed doors. His team felt that leaving the A.I. on represented a better representation of game play.

My mistake. I honestly didn't notice a difference from one run to the next but I was never looking at it that way either.

its not much of a game right now, but Stardock has a history of publishing excellent very rich, deep action RTSs, so its a reasonable gamble.

Sins of a solar empire, Galactic Civilizations, Demigod, Fallen Enchantress, etc...

But the framework on the technical front is what is impressive more or less. That the game is still pre beta is what they announced themselves.

game/rendering engine framework i would assume.

There isn't anything that special to that, most game engines have the same functionality if not more, because Oxide's engine is focused on one game only right now, it would seem better for that type of game.

Creating a rendering engine is always about picking whats best for the type of game that you are developing for and by doing so already limits what you want to do and how to do it, to some degree. When people say technically merits of certain engine, actually limitations are based on hardware and API features, and game design based on those features. Every engine has the same limitations, different coding methodologies and optimization routines the software might be able to reach those theoretical limits, but that is highly based on the type of game and game design.

gmg has this game for $32 with their front page coupon. Is this game worth it?

its not much of a game right now, but Stardock has a history of publishing excellent very rich, deep action RTSs, so its a reasonable gamble.

Sins of a solar empire, Galactic Civilizations, Demigod, Fallen Enchantress, etc...

Yep QFT That's why I want to support this game.

After playing it for several hours myself, it's shaping up to be a pretty fun, intense game.

And in case you didn't know HybridHB, hold your dollars until after Saturday. There's an Ashes of the Singularity game giveaway. Look in the Free Stuff forum and just leave a post to enter. :D

There isn't anything that special to that, most game engines have the same functionality if not more, because Oxide's engine is focused on one game only right now, it would seem better for that type of game.

There is only one engine that is used for multiple game genres and that is Frostbite 3 and this is nothing like it, usually you will see copies of things rather then something from scratch. If it could have functionality outside of this game that would be something good as well...

There is only one engine that is used for multiple game genres and that is Frostbite 3 and this is nothing like it, usually you will see copies of things rather then something from scratch. If it could have functionality outside of this game that would be something good as well...

Cry Engine 3, Unreal Engine 2.5, 3, and 4 all have been used or using ir will be used with genre's, As with Bioware's engines too, same with Gamebyro, and a few others, but most of these outside of Frostbite and UE4, have always been tailored to a specific genre.

Limitations shift based on the game because the camera plays a big role in what is rendered, so optimizing different parts of the engine takes priority based on what the engine was designed for initially.

The tools also change based on the game design......

This is why I don't think Oxide's engine is that impressive (and this has nothing to do with my feelings of the AOS, I think if Stardock makes AOS like games they have done in the past it will be good), its good don't get me wrong but I don't see it comparing to the other bigger engines on the market. I didn't see anything is their demo so far that couldn't be done with other engines, of course I'm sure the other engines will need extensive rework of their tools to make a game like AOS.

Last edited:
Vulkan is basically OpenMantle so support there is a bit redundant.

Probably worth throwing Unity into that mix as well.

UE4 will support Vulkan, Mantle is pretty much worthless now. I'm not sure about Frostbite but if they want cross platform compatibility from Dx12 they will too.

Frostbite director (and co-developer of Mantle) stated Vulkan/DX12 for DICE's holiday 2016 game(s) - speculation being BF5/BFBC3/2143.

He seems to like DX12 because of WDDM 2.0's superior memory management compared to WDDM 1.0, but if not enough people move to Windows 10 then Vulkan will get more emphasis. This based on following the guy's tweets for the past 6 months. Example:

@repi
@ShaneCalimlim we are implementing both and will be able to compare and see, could be that we ship only DX12, or only Vulkan, or both

My take: Windows 10 uptake has slowed down drastically despite Microsoft's virus-level tactics and tricking unsuspecting people into installing, and there's going to remain a good size combined pool of Win7/8 customers which will make developers hold off designing their games around DX12 for their next development cycle. They'll either go DX11 with some DX12 features bolted on as an afterthought and marketed as a "DX12" title, or they'll think about Vulkan where they can hit not only Windows 10, but the >90% of computing platforms that DX12 ignores, including Win7/8 and SteamOS/Linux/Android.

Last edited:
Frostbite director (and co-developer of Mantle) stated Vulkan/DX12 for DICE's holiday 2016 game(s) - speculation being BF5/BFBC3/2143.

He seems to like DX12 because of WDDM 2.0's superior memory management compared to WDDM 1.0, but if not enough people move to Windows 10 then Vulkan will get more emphasis. This based on following the guy's tweets for the past 6 months. Example:

My take: Windows 10 uptake has slowed down drastically despite Microsoft's virus-level tactics and tricking unsuspecting people into installing, and there's going to remain a good size combined pool of Win7/8 customers which will make developers hold off designing their games around DX12 for their next development cycle. They'll either go DX11 with some DX12 features bolted on as an afterthought and marketed as a "DX12" title, or they'll think about Vulkan where they can hit not only Windows 10, but the >90% of computing platforms that DX12 ignores, including Win7/8 and SteamOS/Linux/Android.

Interesting, I hope developers embrace Vulkan but its still a steep road to climb. To get the low hanging fruit from either of the API's is one thing. There is another facet of this he doesn't explain, more complex DX12 features as with more complex Vulkan features, are problematic form different hardware perspective even from the same IHV of the same generation, so the API of choice doesn't matter its what the developer wants to do with the API that does.

The latest version (0.63) showed a rather dramatic drop in FPS for me compared to 0.61. Until the game stabilizes the benchmark will only be useful until the next patch.

The game balance has improved though. Dreadnoughts are significantly more expensive to build and show up later. Brutes (T1) are finally useful in the early game. The Medic AI has improved and they aren't the first unit to die all the time.:p

They increased performance slightly. ;) This was the default in the game, so I went with these settings. If I feel up to it I'll benchmark some later on tonight when my buddies stop messaging me in the middle of the benchmark. In the middle of this run a dude was sending me messages to play something else with him which may have affected the run. I really need to rest though. Maybe someone else with the game can do some benchmarks?

nI86apX.png

Beta 1 Now Available for Ashes of the Singularity: Substrate Faction and other new features!
http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/474564

By Island Dog on January 28, 2016 1:00:00 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums
Every War Has at Least Two Sides

Meet the Other Side: The Substrate!
You've had plenty of practice with the Post-Human Coalition, but now it's time to experience the conflict
with the AI faction: The Substrate! With new buildings and units, it's time to revisit the battlefield from the other side.

Ashes-6

Not only is the Substrate joining the fray,
but there are lots of other new additions to the Beta:

NEW Dreadnought Progression System
Power up your Dreadnoughts to crush your enemies

Ashes-11

With the new leveling system for your Dreadnoughts, you will be able to cause more
devastation to your opponents by learning new abilities as your units gain experience from battle.
You will be able to choose from abilities that upgrade your weapons, army bonuses, a one-time unit
repair, and more. With so many choices, your opponent won't know what hit them by the time
you come knocking at their door.

NEW Orbital Abilities
Death from above!

Ashes-8

Up until now, we have only had a few orbitals to choose from. This newest release
will let you rain terror upon your enemies with the following NEW Orbital Abilities:

Amplify: Target amplified power generator gets a permanent 33% boost.
Orbital Strike: After a 10 second count down, target area receives 5000 damage over 5 seconds.
Carving Turret: Places a heavy plasma beam cannon in target location that does 500 damage to a single target over 3 seconds with a 5 second cool down.
EMP: Units within target area (600m) lose all shields.
Overcharge: Target power generator boosts region production by 200% for 10 seconds.
Regenerate: Target units have their shields fully restored over a period of 5 seconds.
Sensor Drone: Summons a sensor drone to a target location and floats around until it's destroyed.
Boost: Target power generator receives a permanent 20% boost in output, stacks at half rate each time (20%, 10%, 5%, etc.)
Drone Swarm: Place a swarm of drones in the target area (must be an uncovered FOW)
Kill: Target unit receives 5000 points of damage over 5 seconds.
Call Avatar: "Searcher" re-purposed to be a spawned unit that can build and attack strongly.
Detonate: Teleports a bomb to target area that deals 4000 damage in 3 seconds to target area when it explodes.

NEW Maps
Test your mettle on new battlefields

Ashes-5

In addition to the randomly generated maps, we strive to provide carefully crafted battlefields
for you to enjoy with others. We have added two more in this Beta - Frozen Wastes (4 player ice map)
and Proving Grounds (1v1 desert map), with more to come as we move toward our official release!

NEW Ranked Multiplayer
Join the ranks of the Metaverse and see where you stand

Ashes-9

Want to know where you rank among thousands of Ashes players? Try out our newly refined
multiplayer match-making system and go toe-to-toe with friends or other random challengers!

If you'd like to know more about the changes and additions to the beta, please check out the full change log below!

BETA 1 CHANGELOG:

Gameplay

Substrate Faction Available

30+ new units and buildings

Ranked Multiplayer & Matchmaking enabled for initial testing

Dreadnaught Progression System

Choose new abilities to unlock for Dreadnought Class units as they gain experience

Army buffs now come from Dreadnought unlocks, not misc units

Substrate abilities still WIP

New Orbital Abilities:

EMP Pulse - Drops all shields in a localized area by detonating a small hydrogen weapon in the upper atmosphere.

Amplify - A controlled Amplifier has its output further permanently boosted with a quantum link to your Nexus.

Orbital Strike - Massive area damage.

Carving Turret - A horribly powerful carving Turret is temporarily instantiated at any location you can see.

Overcharge - Temporarily boost a single Power Generator or Amplifier’s output with a short-lived unstable quantum linkage.

Regenerate - Quickly restores shield integrity in a small area via controlled disruption of the magnetosphere.

Boost - Permanently increase a Power Generator or Amplifier’s output via careful modulation of quantum pairs. This is a repeatable process.

Sensor Drone - Teleports a sensor drone in to scan the target location and provide live intelligence until it is destroyed.

Drone Swarm - Gate an assault drone swarm to any location you can see with medium-range quantum teleportation.

Kill - Cause incredible damage to a single unit by teleporting a swarm of destructive nanites directly into it’s inner systems.

Call Avatar - Summons an armed and battle-ready scout craft from orbit.

Detonate - Enormous destructive force in an area is concentrated with a sprinkling of small antimatter charges from orbit.

New Nullifier Building to block enemy use of Orbital abilities in a designated area

New Maps:

Frozen Wastes: 4-player ice map

Proving Grounds: 1v1 desert map

Map Balance:

More radioactives added to many maps

Adjustments to Open Range

Anthys significantly updated

Minor fixes and adjustments to most maps

Balance

Some buildings have prerequisites to being built

AI personality improvements

Fury can now has dual pulse laser cannon for light ground attacks

Misc unit and building balance adjustments

Art & Graphics

Terrain

Polished and improved texture detail to Terran & Desert environments

Polished Turinium connecting lines to be embedded in terrain

Adjusted Sun position in Terran Day lighting setup

Improved texture detail on PHC Seed

Tweak to PHC rubber material

VFX

Improved Dreadnought destruction VFX

Improved building destruction VFX

Lingering smoke and fire VFX on damaged PHC Dreadnoughts and T2s (WIP)

Camera shake added for large explosions

Unit polish and differentiation

Light added under engineers

Lengthened PHC scout

Added lighting effect to front fuselage of Zeus

Adjusted other PHC unit sizings and maps

UI

Logistics upgrade button added next to logistics display

Logistics value now flashes red when getting low

Empire Tree only shows after control groups have been made

Selected unit window now displays information for Armies

UI menus now fade in/out

Added borders to the strategic map window

Minimap and strategic map region icons changed to be consistent with other resource icons

Destination and attack UI markers now slightly smaller

“Resume game” option moved to the top of the pause menu

Changed in-game menu button to mach HUD style

Tooltip improvements

Better formatting for many weapon module tooltips

Added clear tooltips and keyboard shortcut hints for Idle Factory/Engineer buttons

Units with Light and Heavy Armor now have it clearly listed in their module display with descriptive tooltips

Added descriptive tooltips to Construction, Quantum Upgrades, Orbital Abilities, and Form Army buttons

Sound

Music changes when victory by Turinium Generators is nearing

Construction complete sounds for buildings and units

Destruction sounds increased

Engine sounds decreased

Multiplayer lobby sounds balanced

Misc

Tons of bandwidth optimizations in multiplayer

Detailed benchmark data now viewable in leaderboards

Camera angle and zoom tweaks

Performance

AI perf increases

Misc perf increases

UI texture compression

Reducing generated texture size that was unneeded for some assets

Better auto-detected graphics settings

Stability

AI stability fix

Options are now cached if they require a restart, instead of setting anyways and crashing if the player doesn’t restart

Empire tree crash fix

Fixed various multiplayer disconnect bugs

Fixed crash on player forfeit in MP games

Fixed crash on entry to MP games with AI players

Fixed for stability after host migration

Misc crash fixes

Bug fixes

Structure’s terrain base is now removed when the structure is destroyed

Better message for failing to join a multiplayer lobby because it’s full

Fix for certain weapons not finding a valid target

Reskinned a variety of dialogues not using the correct visuals

Better handling of resources in MP games

Changed tooltip from “Tech Cost” to “Quanta Cost” for consistency

Fixed bug where T2s could be ordered from a T1 factory

Buildings now undo height modifications to terrain on their destruction

Fixed Dreadnought lost VO playing when a Dreadnought was just removed from the queue

Fixed bugs around graphics preset settings not being properly set and respected

Fixed bug with graphics artifacts on snow

Fix for assert on MP game invite

Improved load into MP games

Fix bugs related to missing or incorrectly colored capture bars

Fixed bug where VP control tracker at top of UI could be out of date/inaccurate

Player can now capture regions owned by an ally that has been killed

Fixed texture on drones not showing up

Relays visible in FoW now show their proper owner

Turinium control icon no longer looks yellow when uncontrolled

Don’t allow random map entry to be chosen during start game countdown

Fixed scroll bar on the load game window

Fix for incorrect snapping when placing 2x2 buildings

So... I was watching that and I noticed how slow the projectiles seem to be traveling. Not a fan.

Back