ASEC Company Issue case

Nicely done..... what are you going to put behind the white (center) part to cover up the case skeleton?

Just curious...
I will be using modders mesh painted black with the storm door poly screen behind it. I will also be making that part black so it is more difficult to discern.

Is that a Wii baseball game toy? :D

Looking really good so far!

Indeed it is. I think it was a kids meal toy from some place. My daughter ignores it but thinks its funny to annoy me until I play it.... BTW I am the one who hates sports. The wife likes hockey and kick boxing. (sigh) I love my family... we're all nuts:p

FINISHED! Been a long day. Even got out to watch a movie with the family. Ok so on with the show.
IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

I even made a cake to celebrate... its so delicious and moist:D
IMG_3289.jpg

Final thoughts:
I have a leftover piece of PVC pipe that is easily enough to make another. If you want it it is yours for the cost of shipping. The wife loves it so its good by me. Thanks to all for watching and making this fun.

Great job man... and I really enjoyed following your build, thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Excellent work. I am continually amazed at people who have both creativity and the talent to execute it.

OK, so my wife runs her own online shop for graphic design and she associates with a lot of other peoplr who hand make all sorts of stuff. She was curious as to how much you guys think that I could sell the set for. Case, Keyboard, and mouse.

you know, if you showed your worklog to someone at Valve i bet they would send you some free stuff or something better.

I sent an email to Gabe Newell over at Valve and have not heard back... honestly did not expect to but I dont think I will actually sell this just because the logos and such could cause copyright issues. All the graphics were done from scratch but the "looks like" factor is just too risky. I'm in school so if I were sued by Valve they would not get much anyway but I just do not want to risk it. I guess I could sell one without all the logos and such. Not sure if the colors and design are copyrighted so who knows. With Egypt wanting to copyright the pyramids and talk of copyrighting other famous art works it really is a crap shoot when it comes to this stuff anymore.

Looks really nice man. Real clever. I remember checking this thread out when you started it, and then I got the Orange Box for Christmas, so I saw the ones in the game when I was playing through Portal. It's spot on, haha. Good job though.

in terms of materials... about $100. That includes wood, paint, the case(real cheap), sandpaper, masking tape, bondo, screws. I got the PVC pipe free so that was a big chunk right there. I looked into buying the piece I needed and it would have been like $75 including shipping just for that. It is a relatively simple mod though. The case was $30. The hardware I had laying around and needed some additional things to make it a server. Then for this mod I really did nothing to the hardware and set up the software differently. The hardware would probably equate to about $300 now. Basic Motherboard. 2GB memory, 3800+ X2 500W PSU, 7600GT couple 80GB hard drives and a DVD reader... no burning ability. Overclocked it to get some more speed but was a bit limited by the motherboard. Really it was a very simple project.

OK, so my wife runs her own online shop for graphic design and she associates with a lot of other peoplr who hand make all sorts of stuff. She was curious as to how much you guys think that I could sell the set for. Case, Keyboard, and mouse.

At least $80 IMO. $150 max
You can't be serious.
Willsonman, only you can determine the price. Add up the cost of the materials, and figure in your labor cost. You obviously have skill, and that's worth...let's say....$40/hr?

Cool. I like some of the comments too. This machine has been serving me well. My daughter has just discovered that she likes the games at PBS kids and noggin so it gets more use than expected... all the while folding for our illustrious folding team. The only complaint I have is the noise of that darn 7600GT. Thinking about an upgrade like the new 9600GT or something but it clicks along for right now. Now that the format war is dead I may consider a complete hardware overhaul complete with a BRD player. Dunno. I'm finishing up school this semester so there is a lot of other stuff going on in my life. I need to get back to my Delorean case mod. I have been working a lot on an airplane for RealFlight. Its turning out great and does not cost nearly as much as case modding.

In terms of sales... The case has been getting a bunch of attention around the web. I just do not want to sell it for fear of being sued. I think that if Valve gave me permission to make a few limited edition cases for them to give away or sell on their shop I would be glad to do it that way. I figure I would sell each case for $250-300 considering the work and parts. I would of course do a matching keyboard and mouse. If they charged more than that I dont think they would sell. Just my opinion.

edit: we still play plenty of Portal on it.

well, I had actually thought about modding a DLP projector to fit inside a full-sized portal gun for a home theater... might be an interesting thing to toy with.

Nice! Ive been waiting for someone to build one of the Aperature PCs. Well done sir.

Now someone just needs to make a GlaDOS :D

well, I had actually thought about modding a DLP projector to fit inside a full-sized portal gun for a home theater... might be an interesting thing to toy with.

That'd be crazy awesome. Great work on the case BTW, absolutely amazing work.

If I were to build one, I would also try reducing the size. It is a great replica, but it seems massive with that pipe up top. Judging from the in-game shots, that rig is easily an mATX build, meaning a smaller case, smaller pipe, but the case would cost more. Great mod, hopefully it gets more attention from valve, and they respond with something of their own perhaps :D

Back