ASEC Company Issue case

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
Not to take anything away from the weighted companion cube case... After seeing me play a little of portal my wife liked the look of the Aperture Science Enrichment Center computer cases. She asked if I could make our home server/media PC to look like it. I agreed (gentlemen, never argue with a pregnant woman) even though I was planning on getting some work done on my Delorean case over the holidays. Anyways... some start pics
testchmb_a_150001.jpg

testchmb_a_150007.jpg

Got the mouse done. I managed to get the ASEC symbol on there by using Parafilm... any labtech out there will know and love this stuff. Its like thick saran wrap but stretches. Worked like a charm.
IMG_3122.jpg

here is what I am starting with. The wife thinks it is rather ugly. I think its fine but nothing special. This is the 4th build in this case.
IMG_3117.jpg

The keyboard to start with:
IMG_3116.jpg

I finished most of the keyboard today but need to color the keys that need to be colored.

I got a free piece of 8" diameter PVC pipe for the project. That will go on top. I also did some bondo work on the case sides because they need to be flat...
IMG_3118.jpg

The dvd drive will be placed on its side and a button needs to be added at the bottom. This is nothing special... Just thought I would share.

Due to a very eventful thanksgiving I did not get done all that I wanted but still made good progress considering.
Finished the keyboard: I purposefully left some of the keys without a perfect finish to simulate a "used" look and I think it turned out ok. I did mix up the F5 and F6 keys but I can fix that later. I had to hook up the keyboard ASAP because we got a new 32" LCD TV for the puter to work on. Its very nice indeed.
IMG_3163.jpg

Here is the side panel that needs work. You can see the "handle" that I filled with bondo on the other panel:
IMG_3165.jpg

This turned out great. I still need to paint the ASEC logo on it but I did not have enough masking tape to do it. easy enough to do though.
IMG_3164.jpg

I'll be doing odds and ends here and there but in 2 weeks the real modding will start. I need to hack up the top and connect the PVC piece and bondo the seams. and do the front. I am thinking of just using some modders mesh for the outside of the front and bondo over top. Seems the simplest way. Then use a piece of MDF for the middle. Easy to shape and inexpensive.

I laugh at those keyboards now that someone at Gizmodo or Engadget pointed out that the colored keys spell out "HARD PENIS"...

LOL

Nice work so far...

How did you do the coloring on the keyboard keys? I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you might have used decals after having painted the keys?

Well in taking apart the keyboard for painting the keys pop right out so I just picked the ones that needed to be painted a different color and primered them and painted them. For the lettering office depot has some transparent label stuff that I can use in my laser printer. Match the font. Do a couple test prints for font size. All thats left is patience with a razor blade. The label stuff comes with adhesive on the back to really it was like making my own stickers.

Got the logo onto the case panel tonight. I tried using some stucco masking tape so the slightly wet paint would stretch a little as I peeled it off. This would give a slightly aged look and not look entirely brand new. I think it worked ok. What do you think?
IMG_3166.jpg

I think it looks really good... maybe try and make some of the white look a little aged as well... don't really know how you would go about doing that, but.... it would look good:)

Its great having a spouse who is a graphic designer. Got another label made for the keyboard... so it is finished. I am going to leave the f5/f6 keys how they are just so see if anyone notices.
IMG_3168.jpg

So here is the setup now. I finished my genetics poster and this is the last full week of classes so I will have a bit more free time soon!!!
IMG_3174.jpg

Yeah... they're backwards:p

And you do mean that the keyboard is done.. right? Not the whole thing..... you need to add the PVC pipe to the top and..and.....and stuff..... right?

Started teh other side panel today:
Start:
IMG_3204.jpg

Prep:
IMG_3205.jpg

Bondo! did not mix up enough but its a great start.
IMG_3206.jpg

sorry for the slightly OT...

but I friggin loved Portal. Aside from the bonus levels, are there any more levels to this game? Do they plan on releasing anything soon like a sequel or continuation to this game?

I laugh at those keyboards now that someone at Gizmodo or Engadget pointed out that the colored keys spell out "HARD PENIS"...

LOL

Nice work so far...

LMAO, where do people come up with this stuff? Was that intentionally done by the programmers, or somebody just made it up?

Anyways, nice work OP, lookin real good. I thought it would be cool to just off-color the asdf jkl; keys, that would give it a purpose too, as well as look nice. (and it wouldn't spell hard penis)

Nice work!

BTW what did you use to paint the keyboard?

only one thing I can say to that dude

"This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
Aperture Science "

Awesome idea

only one thing I can say to that dude

"This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
Aperture Science "

Awesome idea

oh poop. i used that in the companion cube thread and forgot to do it here :(

Oh look, it says here you're adopted too! thats funny. :D I love portal.

Thank you, thank you,

I try

ed. Portal is probably one of the best games ever

Ok, got the bondo done on the other panel. tomorrow should bring a new hole into this world with some paint.
IMG_3213.jpg

DAMNIT I wanted to be the first to do this.

ah well, nice job. Don't forget to make an apurature science chair, you gotta complete it.

Don't forget to make an apurature science chair, you gotta complete it.
I was not planning on it... mostly because this will not be used for office work but as a media/htpc. Go for it though! I'm not stopping you guys from repeating this. Better ideas are always welcome IMO. hehe finishing up the case panel now. Got the hole done and paint drying. Fan prepped for epoxy and the center circle piece is cut, sanded and painted ready to mount. Shoot, I'll even send you the PNGs that my wife did in photoshop if you would like.

OK, got the side panel done.
IMG_3231.jpg

I made the opening a bit wider than the picture for better air flow and less turbulence for noise sake.

Making some real headway here. Got the case all torn apart and made a plan for doing the top and front. Got the hard drive cage and fan all cleaned up:
IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

I'll have a couple money shots a bit later. I decided to leave out the ridge along the top of the dome part of the case. We are expecting a boy in May and to do the top the way from the picture poses a hazard to a little one. Those sharp edges are not good so I decided to go it this way and just make it smooth. I had originally planned to cut the entire front of the case up and bondo like mad to make the face but I have decided with the top being simplified to do a more basic MDF approach. It will be faster and I'll learn something new! I have no idea how bondo will work with metal and wood. I am just not sure what to expect. Update to come later today.

Got done sanding sooner than I thought. So here are the goods:
Start button:
IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

Top completed:
IMG_3249.jpg

Things coming together:
IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

Lookin good man. Doing it pretty much exactly the way I was gunna too :p

Great minds eh?

you planning on stealthing a CD drive on the front?

you planning on stealthing a CD drive on the front?

Yes. I plan on doing just a simple piece of acrylic and NOT making a button extension. My daughter already knows how to open it and place all sorts of stuff inside. So yeah... as stealth as I can. Also placing the ASEC logo from the tops of elevators (from the inside) on the front that will also go over part of the optical drive.

Spent a lot of time today trying to get the curves right for the front of the case. Got it all drawn up and ready to cut. Hopefully the weather will be nice tomorrow for this to be done. I have a Final at Noon and I am home free for the break.
IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

After a day's worth of delay due to a jig saw breaking...
Just a mock up to give a general idea:
IMG_3286.jpg

My how reflective MDF can be.
IMG_3287.jpg

Nicely done..... what are you going to put behind the white (center) part to cover up the case skeleton?

Just curious...

Back