Asassin's Creed 5: Unity

think I'm finally going to start up AC: Unity...got it free with my GTX 970 a few months back but was waiting for the tessellation patch which is never coming...just finished the Last of Us (PS4) and was thinking about starting Witcher 3 next but will do Unity first, then probably Arkham Knight then Witcher 3

think I'm finally going to start up AC: Unity...got it free with my GTX 970 a few months back but was waiting for the tessellation patch which is never coming...just finished the Last of Us (PS4) and was thinking about starting Witcher 3 next but will do Unity first, then probably Arkham Knight then Witcher 3

vwMin.gif

The wait was real!

It's a good game and runs like a champ on Maxwell hardware. The new parkour mechanics are great and the graphics are the best around, especially indoors. The combat is much improved as well.

It's a good game and runs like a champ on Maxwell hardware. The new parkour mechanics are great and the graphics are the best around, especially indoors. The combat is much improved as well.

it's real!!...so I started the game up and am impressed that you can remap everything, including side mouse buttons...I remember Black Flag limiting your remapping options...I also noticed that the game was running 1920 x 1200 full screen with no black bars!...but then my excitement went down after discovering that it doesn't support 16:10 natively, it just stretches its 16:9 to cover the black bars...luckily they have a setting to disable 'Stretching'

if runs 'like a champ on Maxwell hardware' means barely hitting 40fps then I'm the champ...with everything on Ultra and MSAA at 4X the game is nowhere close to 60fps...is FXAA the best option for this game?...the [H] performance guide stated that MSAA is unplayable unless you have SLI

Last edited:
if runs 'like a champ on Maxwell hardware' means barely hitting 40fps then I'm the champ...with everything on Ultra and MSAA at 4X the game is nowhere close to 60fps...is FXAA the best option for this game?...the [H] performance guide stated that MSAA is unplayable unless you have SLI

I would suggest FXAA for sure.

Set everything to Ultra and then dial back until you hit the FPS you want. It should be fairly high and with decent image quality. FXAA instead of TXAA and MSAA, and then shadows before going into the texture and other settings.

Set everything to Ultra and then dial back until you hit the FPS you want. It should be fairly high and with decent image quality. FXAA instead of TXAA and MSAA, and then shadows before going into the texture and other settings.

switched to FXAA and the game looks surprisingly good...I was expecting the usual blurring effect with FXAA but it looks as good as MSAA...more importantly I gained 15+ FPS...now I can get frame rates in the 50's with everything else on Ultra/maxed out, including all the Nvidia GameWorks features (1920 x 1200)

Right.

On his rig and settings he really shouldn't have to pull back much if anything.

FXAA and maybe pull back shadows by one at most if even that.

Follow the [H] guide and you will be in good shape. :)

game is stunning from a graphics standpoint...Ubisoft outdid themselves with the city building...the crowds are crazy large...the interiors of every building are filled with so much detail...I doubt the next AC game will have this much detail and graphics fidelity after all the negative press they got at launch for the performance...the PC controls are also the best since Brotherhood...I don't know how it was at launch but I'm getting close to 60 fps with everything maxed out and FXAA (1920 x 1200)...there's still a bit of blurring from the FXAA but not as bad as other games...I wish I could run the game at MSAA 4X

I doubt the next AC game will have this much detail and graphics fidelity after all the negative press they got at launch for the performance.

I hope not. But sadly I think you are right.

But then again PC gamers are ridiculous. Game runs well cause of downgrade.. called a console port. Game runs worse but looks amazing. Unoptimized console port. They seriously can't win or lose.

Personally, I think FXAA has gotten a lot better compared to when it first hit and looked very smudged.
Plus, it's good for performance fiends like myself. Gotta have my 60fps.

Personally, I think FXAA has gotten a lot better compared to when it first hit and looked very smudged.
Plus, it's good for performance fiends like myself. Gotta have my 60fps.

Want to see smudged and bad performance? Try TXAA in any game including this one.

That's hopeless.

almost finished with Unity...this is the best AC game since Brotherhood...the graphics are beautiful...really stunning at times...the scale and size of Paris is impressive...the only terrible thing about the game are those stupid Nostradamus Enigma puzzles which are ridiculously hard and requires you to memorize every database entry to solve...there are also too many chests scattered around...the Murder Mysteries are a nice touch and the Server Bridge areas are excellent (wish there were more then 3)

the Nvidia GameWorks features inside the server bridge areas are nice with the tornadoes, particle and smoke effects...the crowd size is unreal- literally thousands of NPC's in certain areas...performance was fine with the 1.5.0 patch...will never get the credit it deserves because of all the early bugs and performance issues...this really is a next-gen game...good to know that AC: Syndicate will be using the same engine (hopefully Unity helped them work out the kinks)...gameplay is still the same and won't make people who hate the AC series love it, but it does feel like a step up from the last few years

^ great pics, really makes me want to play this game. i put about 20 minutes into it when i got it (came with my GTX 970) and that's it. i really need to play it, looks awesome.

Playing t this game made me wish more studios would invest in global illumination, the lighting in the game was just amazing imo and the closest to "life-like" lighting I've seen in a video game.

In the process of downloading this, cant wait.

Can anyone explain where AC: Rogue fits into the series? I somehow missed it.....is it worth/needed?

Can anyone explain where AC: Rogue fits into the series? I somehow missed it.....is it worth/needed?

AC:Rogue is more of a spin off of AC:Black Flag. It does not tie into Unity, and should be considered with the AC3/AC:Black Flag/AC:Freedom Cry (DLC) games.

It does introduce its own unique main character, so it's not a true sequel (much like AC:Black Flag wasn't a true sequel to AC3, and why I call it a "spin off" :D).

I love the PC controls in Unity...everything is able to be remapped with pretty much all keys and all mouse buttons...the last few AC games had limits to what keys could be used to remap and was annoying

I don't know how Ubisoft creates these massive cities with all of the historical detail and information...they must have a great research staff...as much grief as they get, the overwhelming amount of work required to create these cities really needs to get more recognition

If you're into the story of the Assassin's Creed games, the last actions in Rogue tie in with the beginning of the main character's story in Unity. It does not tie in with Unity's overall story, just the main character's background.

this really is a next-gen game...

Yup it really is.. And its very demanding. Has the graphics to back that up too. Now you know why people were crying about performance :p. There 3 year old cards were getting murdered on it.

Totalbisucit was spreading alot of that bullshit around too.. Claiming his dual titans or w/e couldn't handle the game. Bunch of BS.. my single 970 handled it fine..

Yup it really is.. And its very demanding. Has the graphics to back that up too. Now you know why people were crying about performance :p. There 3 year old cards were getting murdered on it.

Totalbisucit was spreading alot of that bullshit around too.. Claiming his dual titans or w/e couldn't handle the game. Bunch of BS.. my single 970 handled it fine..

the game looks gorgeous but I'm not sure if anyone was able to run the game with MSAA enabled...I had to use FXAA with my 970 and it seems like a lot of people had to do the same

finished the Dead Kings DLC...didn't like it as much as the main game but it was decent...a lot of puzzle solving...barely did any of the side quests as I wanted to finish quick...graphics were a step down as they obviously tweaked it so as to not have any major performance issues...the lighting was the biggest downgrade as the entire game took place under cloudy skies

finished the Dead Kings DLC...didn't like it as much as the main game but it was decent...a lot of puzzle solving...barely did any of the side quests as I wanted to finish quick...graphics were a step down as they obviously tweaked it so as to not have any major performance issues...the lighting was the biggest downgrade as the entire game took place under cloudy skies

Great shots man! :)

I've been struggling to get into this game for something like 9 months. I've completed all of the other games (upwards of 100% completion) but am just not feeling compelled with this one. It's beautiful, but just so dull.

If I just haul ass from one plot mission to the next, am I missing out on anything? I'm a completionist, but at this point it's coming down to either winning the game in a hurry or just giving up on it.

I've been struggling to get into this game for something like 9 months. I've completed all of the other games (upwards of 100% completion) but am just not feeling compelled with this one. It's beautiful, but just so dull.

If I just haul ass from one plot mission to the next, am I missing out on anything? I'm a completionist, but at this point it's coming down to either winning the game in a hurry or just giving up on it.

Tough to say, man. It's up to you. You just may not be in the mood for it right now. I really enjoyed it but I was more in the mood for it when I played it than it sounds like you are.

Take a break and play something *completely* different and see how feel about it after that. :)

it's a prettier version of every other AC game so if you like the series then you should be able to enjoy Unity...there were some nice gameplay improvements but same ole AC...you might be better off waiting for Syndicate which should be a better version of Unity with hopefully less performance issues out of the gate...plus the Victorian Era London setting is nice

I might just be burnt on the series. With a few tweaks I have the game running really, really well and haven't noticed any quirks once I turned a couple of the Nvidia "features" down or off.

I think it's just too much deja vu. Every quest and task I've done feels like I've done it 30 times just because I've played all of the other ones. Even Arno just feels like a renamed Ezio.

Plot-wise, is there anything that comes up that's worthwhile or worth experiencing?

Just do the main quest. It is a 10 hour game and very easy one at that. I finished it in about 14 hours with some sides.

10 hours sounds manageable. I'll probably try to motor my way through then. Combat is still pretty easy, although I have noticed that you take a lot more damage in this one. 2 mistakes and you're toast.

Bought it off UPLAY for $20 and fired it up on Ultra settings except for AA set to FXAA. Only reason I set it to FXAA was to troubleshoot the cutscenes. Cutscenes dip to 36fps for some reason. The actual game never dips below 55fps regardless of how big the crowd is. 99% of the time it is at 60+fps.

Just a R9 290 and FX-9370 with 8GB of ram @1080p. Just in case someone wanted to know how it ran on similar hardware.

I've considered getting this game but after 4+ AC games the formula just feels stale...AC4 brought the ship aspect which I really enjoyed, but I don't see anything similarly unique about this one.

I've considered getting this game but after 4+ AC games the formula just feels stale...AC4 brought the ship aspect which I really enjoyed, but I don't see anything similarly unique about this one.

Rogue is by far the best out of the box experience of the recent games. They finally figured out how to make the controls work, and it has some of the naval combat again to break things up. Unity ran pretty well for me, minus the unexplainable stutters which disappeared partway through. I have no idea why. I suppose future patches fixed it. A bit clumsy, but not too bad compared to the previous games. Setting grew on me and I did like the detail of Paris. Lots of repetitive mini missions which aren't necessary. I am actually amazed at how many they stuffed in. Easily 30+ unnecessary Paris Quests/whatever they were called. Okay game overall. Story was a bit small in scale, but I found the random bits of history more interesting than the main story.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but Ubisoft is giving away copies of AC: Unity for the next week because of the Notre Dame fire:

https://register.ubisoft.com/acu-notredame-giveaway/en-US

If you didn't already own it, no reason not to pick it up now.

(I realize that this news has been posted in a couple of the other subforums but wanted to post it here in case there might be people who never visit the News or Free Stuff forums. Perhaps there will be renewed interest in the game since it's being given away for free.)

Last edited:
(I realize that this news has been posted in a couple of the other subforums but wanted to post it here in case there might be people who never visit the News or Free Stuff forums. Perhaps there will be renewed interest in the game since it's being given away for free.)
When I saw what happened on the recent news shows I wondered if anyone else besides me was reminded of exploring that cathedral in the game. Going up and down the exterior to find where you can climb and how high, the view from the top of the two main towers, and of course the interior and stained glass.

Atm I'd have to reinstall it to go back there again (virtually.) I've moved on to AC Odyssey but I still think of the IQ and exploration in Unity as top notch.

This is an unambiguously nice thing to do by Ubi. It calls back to the event, allows users to see at least a version of the cathedral in game, and revitalizes interest in the series. Players get a copy of the game for free (on PC no less) and are encouraged to donate to the reconstruction effort. This will likely mean that those interested in playing/replaying will have some help from online players - there are certain online challenges which are really difficult to get max score solo.

AC titles have always, thanks to their huge development/research base, had a passion for history. Alongside all the "game world" stuff, there was easily-accessible-yet-non-forced real historical knowledge available. Each game offered a codex/database of historical events, locations, people and more both in terms of "real world" knowledge and their part in the game universe, to be read at the user's discretion. Furthermore, they always tried to include interesting historical bits (ie Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered has a part early in the game where Haytham Kenway can optionally talk to Benjamin Franklin. Talking to Franklin a few times causes him to dictate his theories on the benefits of dating an older woman - all of which is taken from legit Franklin historical writings showcasing him as both scientist and horndog!) Assassin's Creed Origins even had an entire "History Tour" mode which was really impressive and on the level to be used in classroom/lecture hall as a "serious" mode divorced from the gamification.

This is a nice thing to do indeed. If you haven't played Unity, it takes place after the "Kenway saga / Americas games - AC3, AC Liberation, AC4, AC Rogue" and forms the "Initiates Duology - Unity + Syndicate" . It has relatively little DLC which can be procured cheaply on the uPlay store for the full experience.

Edit: If anyone has questions on the game, let me know and I'll do the best I can to recall the answers!

Oh and if you're the kind who prefers media in original languages, you may want to consider setting AC Unity to "French" audio and English subs. Apparently, the game was originally going to have French-accented english but, considering many American (and Western apparently in general?) ears are tuned to the idea that "Historical/period pieces = English accents" , they went with that instead. However, I'm told the French audio is very good , which is no surprise considering that Ubisoft itself is a French company and the game has a Paris setting, Enjoy!

Last edited:
I feel like Unity deserves a remake, way moreso than AC3 deserved a "remaster". It was actually enjoyable in my opinion and so densely populated with such amazing scenery. I can imagine it with current gen Odyssey graphics, would be great to look at.

AC:Unity had the best crowd tech ever used in a videogame to date, in the later AC games they greatly tuned down the crowd tech (due to performance issues most likely), but in Unity they turned it up to 11 - traversing parts of France was great but it's the massive crowds which brought the city to life and imo was the most memorable part of the game.

Otherwise it was pretty much your typical AC game with solid gameplay overall.

Back