As predicted: Windows as a PPV service...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only since they announced Win8 and the SCo-Linux debacles, have I predicted that 1) Windows would go pay-per-view Windows-as-a-service, and 2) they would roll Linux into the OS, possibly turning the OS into a version of Linux.

Seems like it's gonna come true. Imagine that.

What the holy fuck are you talking about, OP? This clearly isn't a news post and seems to belong in the soapbox and not here. This is not the place for pretending to have some kind of high-ground with some made up claim.

Windows as a service is a dumb idea so there is a chance that Microsoft will roll those dice. It wouldn't work and it'd be a waste of resources for Microsoft. In fact it'd probably hurt them worse than Windows 8, increase file-sharing of Windows and therefore vulnerabilities making bot nets even more prevalent. Oh, and a lot of people would stick to older versions of Windows, you know, the thing Microsoft loves the most. Hopefully when the foolish suggestion comes up at a board meeting those with sense will outnumber those without it.

I believe the link the OP was referencing was this one: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...desktop-the-bad-old-days-are-coming-back.html

I am with OP though. This has been a slow burn but everybody ignored it. Windows as a Service is coming. The deniers can stick their head in the sand all they want but MS has shown how it'll happen. Just look at Office365. They rolled that into software as a service slowly and nobody said a word. All the suckers just keep paying them a monthly fee and it'll happen again with Windows.

I believe the link the OP was referencing was this one: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...desktop-the-bad-old-days-are-coming-back.html

I am with OP though. This has been a slow burn but everybody ignored it. Windows as a Service is coming. The deniers can stick their head in the sand all they want but MS has shown how it'll happen. Just look at Office365. They rolled that into software as a service slowly and nobody said a word. All the suckers just keep paying them a monthly fee and it'll happen again with Windows.

Microsoft has made Office 365 so cheap that it is almost insane not to use it. However, I think people miss a few things about it:

1. At some point, MS will just keep increasing the pricing.
2. Once you’ve migrated terabytes of apps and data to O365, good luck moving it back to on-prem or to another service.
3. O365 performance sucks hard compared to the on-prem versions of the software, such as SharePoint.

I’m not surprised MS is going this route with Windows either. And to the guy earlier in the thread who said “you will still need an OS to access your cloud Windows desktop,” the OS could be a stripped-down Linux or an embedded OS which boots up and directly connects to your virtual cloud desktop.

That is like having Android users to pay google for use of their software on phones. Microsoft is just probably just too big with too many people on the payroll =) Windows 10 isn't even that good it has layers and layers of dated bloatware hidden to make it functional.

I'll see it when it happens they will flip the switch and people will go nutz.

Nothing but speculation in that article. It's an editorial, not news.

LOL! Here we go again. :D Nothing new really to add that has not already been said in the past. Enjoy your conspiracy theory, I will enjoy my locally installed Windows Operating System for years to come. The cool thing is, I now have 2.5 years of the Ultimate Game pass for my Computers and XBox, all for a cheap price. I also have all those games installed from cd's dvd's, GOG, direct2drive and other services without issues.

Thinking through this is difficult, I understand but, it obviously is not happening.

Isn't it part of the rules that you actually have to have some news to post a thread here? Where is the news?

Now the link to the SJVN article (He's quite the MS hater, I don't give much credence to his opinions), that's interesting, not for the opinion, but for the links to WVD. That looks cool, and could be much simpler a solution than running a bhyve or virtualbox instance on FreeBSD to get the MS Office apps to work. Of course, it's only for Enterprise, which rules out me using it at home, but there might be some ability to leverage it at work.

Microsoft has made Office 365 so cheap that it is almost insane not to use it. However, I think people miss a few things about it:

1. At some point, MS will just keep increasing the pricing.
2. Once you’ve migrated terabytes of apps and data to O365, good luck moving it back to on-prem or to another service.
3. O365 performance sucks hard compared to the on-prem versions of the software, such as SharePoint.

I’m not surprised MS is going this route with Windows either. And to the guy earlier in the thread who said “you will still need an OS to access your cloud Windows desktop,” the OS could be a stripped-down Linux or an embedded OS which boots up and directly connects to your virtual cloud desktop.

As an office 365 user....

Point 1. Yea they probably will over time. Or they can lower it and remove the storage in cloud from the lower tier.
Point 2. I disagree it isn't that hard I've done it. Actually everything I create that has cloud storage has local storage as well.
Point 3. I haven't seen this. This makes me suspect you didn't you you can locally install all of the office apps that come with office 365 and use them while offline. I know I do this regularly.

And the virtual cloud option will be fine for cheap PC's. People like us will still pay a comparative premium for stand alone desktops that are fully featured. We just have to buy the 'advanced' license version whatever that will be. Prosumer?

Microsoft-Spread-Satya-Nadella-Nutella--115013 (2).jpg

Seems much more likely to me that they will continue with their current path - and if anything, they'd stop charging for normal consumer windows, while pushing other services (Office 365, One Drive, and other corporate services).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back