As Google Maps Renames Neighborhoods, Residents Fume

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google Maps’ incredible popularity has granted it power to rebrand districts, and long-time residents aren’t happy. For instance, the San Francisco Bay area’s Rincon Hill, also known by locals as South Beach or South of Market, has been renamed The East Cut after a nonprofit group donated $68,000. Residents hate it, but the moniker has effectively become official due to Maps’ prevalence. In another case, Detroit’s “Fiskhorn” district became “Fishkorn” due to an oversight that Google did not correct until recently.

“It’s degrading to the reputation of our area,” said Tad Bogdan, who has lived in the neighborhood for 14 years. In a survey of 271 neighbors that he organized recently, he said, 90 percent disliked the name. The swift rebranding of the roughly 170-year-old district is just one example of how Google Maps has now become the primary arbiter of place names. With decisions made by a few Google cartographers, the identity of a city, town or neighborhood can be reshaped, illustrating the outsize influence that Silicon Valley increasingly has in the real world.

Last edited:
Heard this on the news this morning and first thing that popped into my head was the South Park episodes, welcome to Shittisopa

If 68k is all that's required to name a location then it won't be long before your driving down Longdonga Dr. or Harriazz Ln. You know that rich people WILL pay to put names like that on the map. People love to put funny names on the map. I remember seeing on a map of North Korea there was a Cassius Clay Coffee house listed in Pyongyang.

If 68k is all that's required to name a location then it won't be long before your driving down Longdonga Dr. or Harriazz Ln. You know that rich people WILL pay to put names like that on the map. People love to put funny names on the map. I remember seeing on a map of North Korea there was a Cassius Clay Coffee house listed in Pyongyang.

I'm like 80% certain that's what the HardOCP Patreon is going toward.

Back