As Gamers Age, The Appeal Of Competition Drops The Most

Yep. I have no urge to play competitively against people who devote 50 times as many hours to a game. For the most part, I play cooperative games or semi-competitive games like civilization with gentlemen's agreements not to attack each other.

oooor, my idea of an old gamer is different then others. Like a guy that says he doesn't have time cause he has two young kids. You are not an old gamer my friend, my kids are old enough to be having kids, the oldest is 30.

I can't get to the study, but the fact that the chart tops out at 55 is already significant to me. I'm 56 and see no end in sight. I'm still upgrading my system if that's any indication. I have more than enough time and what I have lost in reaction time I have made up for in awareness, and frankly, being Old Mean Evil and Nasty.

But for me, I must say, it's team based competition that keeps me going.

Thank you for giving me hope for my future.

I'm 33, have 3 small children. My gaming typically happens at night after Ive put the maniacs to bed. I also have every other Monday off (9/80 work schedule) and I get a couple hours of plan in as long as I have nothing urgent that needs to be done. I lone wolf the shit outta some COD. Not a top player by any means, but a more than respectable K/D ratio and my reflexes are still fast enough to hang with most players I play against. I mute mics most times because I can only stomach listening to teens and college kids screaming "n*gger" or "porchmonkey faggot" so many times before I lose my mind, but I have no plans of slowing down my gaming habits, now that I can actually afford to build the types of rigs I wished about gaming on when I was younger.

Next step, 3 curved ultrawides for a racing cockpit. Bring on that hozizon. :cool:

Back