As an avid PC gamer, why do I want an XBOX 360?

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
I play mostly Battlefied 1942, and then BF2. I like multiplayer online FPS's. $ is no object,so I enjoy my rig and gaming in the privacy of my home office.

I'm not seeing the appeal of an XBOX 360 sitting in my living room. I see that on my 40" hdtv that the bigger picture would be cool. But what else is there? For me it looks like a step down in resolution and no games that I would enjoy?

Tell me what I'm missing. Seriously.
:)

To be honest, probably nothing in my opinion. I am personally not a fan of FPS games on consoles at all, but racing (such as PGR3) and fighting (DOA series, although I haven't played it, is an example) I do have fun playing. If it really doesn't interest you, then their is no reason to spend the money on it. This is all my opinion though.

EricDawg said:
I play mostly Battlefied 1942, and then BF2. I like multiplayer online FPS's. $ is no object,so I enjoy my rig and gaming in the privacy of my home office.

I'm not seeing the appeal of an XBOX 360 sitting in my living room. I see that on my 40" hdtv that the bigger picture would be cool. But what else is there? For me it looks like a step down in resolution and no games that I would enjoy?

If you're an avid PC gamer and you're interested in consoles... do yourself a favour and wait until all 3 are out, that way you can judge what will suit you best. XBox 1 had the most shooters of all 3 systems, but many were PC ports, and the gamepad would piss you off in terms of controls. Just wait until this time next year, gauge which system suits you best, and post the same question then... just my suggestion. For now? Stay far away from the 360 :)

I'm an avid gamer, and true avid gamers get all consoles because as we all know, it's all about the games, or it should be. I've had just about everything since NES. I'm no PC snob, even though mine is top of the line. I never understood why people always chose camps when it came to gaming. Why can't we have it all? I never limit myself in any respects, and i'm not going to do it with gaming.

As to why I want an xbox 360 as an avid pc gamer? Why the hell not? It's a new console that has some great games on it. Enough said. Isn't that why we got into gaming in the first place? Right now, it's all about PGR3, PDZ and COD2 for me. Eagerly awaiting Gears of War, Halo 3, Dark Sector, Mass Effect, Prey and the Outfit. Will pick up DOA when it drops in 2 weeks.

Im getting a 360 as my PC is starting to strugle, and byt he time i upgrade it etc it will cost more than a 360.

With the 360 i know games are designed to just work on it, no driver issues, no "you must have _____________ to run well" etc..

*I* want one for my kids.

Never a console fan, but I think racing games would be cool on a console.

I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I will eventually pick up a xbo 360 for one simple reason. Sports games. I enjoy playing baseball, football, basketball, etc with friends.

If it wasn't for that i would never own a console.

I'm a gamer, I buy games I want, and that means I buy the consoles I need to play them. I don't buy into the whole console vs console crap, it's all about the games. If a console has games I want, I'll buy it. I have no time for people that want to engage in arguments about which console is better, it's such a stupid discussion.

So, I agree with bft1980's post, completely.

Because other people want one, so getting the newest and shiniest piece of technology before the majority of people get one will make you the envy of others.

At least, that's the only reason I can figure why there is so much hype ;)

I'm getting a 360 because nothing except FEAR and W.O.W as amazed me in the last couple of years on the PC.

+ I already have an HDTV.

Base the decision on what games you like. PC's do most genres just as well, if not better, than consoles. I think the exceptions are sports games, shmups, and fighters. If any of those interest you, think about about a console. If not, it's really not worth it unless you've got a few niche games in mind like Katamari or Shadow of the Colossus.

well you sure as heck don't want one now. there aren't many games yet and I would just get bored with it quick.

im getting one as im bored, and need to spend money on a gadget! also its a n excuse to upgrade to a nice new screen.

Xbox Live and voice chat in all games and the fact most people will have a mic is cool too. im mainly a PC fps person, but im sure ill get used to console fps - i used to love perfect dark on the N64 - was nearly as accurate as i am on the PC at one point (nearly!)

I've always been an advocate for the best gaming experience being on a PC. Mostly because of the Multi-player but that's starting to change.

I have about as good of a gaming PC as you can get and I haven't touched the thing since I got my 360. I'll eventually go back to it but there are 3-4 launch titles on the 360 that are "must haves" as far as gaming experiences are concerened.

Plus...there's something to be said for sitting on a couch with a couple friends in front of a big screen TV playing whatever game until your thumbs fall off.

IF you don't have HD I'd say definately hold off on the 360 until you get one. If you do in fact have HD then you simply must get the 360 premium.

Graphically it's not far off of my PC (850xt PE)...honestly. I probably won't get into the FPS games at all as I can't stand using the controller ( like most people) but for sports games and racing games and action/adventure titles I'd much rather play them on the 360.

Also... XBL arcade is very nice. I know you can't imagine paying $5-$10 for these old or simple puzzle games...But once you do you'll understand why everyone else is.

Time will tell if it's worth it to buy a 360. If they makes games then I might just buy it.

DukenukemX said:
Time will tell if it's worth it to buy a 360. If they makes games then I might just buy it.

It's worth it now. There are 3-4 great games w/ replay value that are currently out. By the time you get sick of those there will be 15 more to chose from.

The titles that are coming between the months of January and April... There are at least a dozen that will be worth owning from what I can tell.

Only games I see worth to own a 360 now is DOA4 and Project Gotham Racing 3.

Maybe when Perfect dark is out then we're talking.

DukenukemX said:
Only games I see worth to own a 360 now is DOA4 and Project Gotham Racing 3.

Maybe when Perfect dark is out then we're talking.

:confused:

DOA4 is NOT out. PGR3 is great. PDZ is out.

RR6 is supposedly very good to. Condemned is great but has no replay value. There are others....and as I said before. By April 1st (around the time the ps3 is out) there will be an additional 12-15 titles worth playing.

btf1980 said:
I'm an avid gamer, and true avid gamers get all consoles because as we all know, it's all about the games, or it should be. I've had just about everything since NES. I'm no PC snob, even though mine is top of the line. I never understood why people always chose camps when it came to gaming. Why can't we have it all? I never limit myself in any respects, and i'm not going to do it with gaming.

As to why I want an xbox 360 as an avid pc gamer? Why the hell not? It's a new console that has some great games on it. Enough said. Isn't that why we got into gaming in the first place? Right now, it's all about PGR3, PDZ and COD2 for me. Eagerly awaiting Gears of War, Halo 3, Dark Sector, Mass Effect, Prey and the Outfit. Will pick up DOA when it drops in 2 weeks.

Yeah, but we don't like the games because the crappy controls ruin them. If the 360 had supported the Mouse and Keyboard I would have bought it.

As an avid PC gamer, you would want an Xbox 360 if there were games exclusive to it that you wanted enough to warrant purchasing the system. Remember, it's all about the games!

Obi_Kwiet said:
Yeah, but we don't like the games because the crappy controls ruin them. If the 360 had supported the Mouse and Keyboard I would have bought it.

I think it depends on the type of games you play. If all you play is FPS, then that's a valid arguement, thought i'm used to console controls for FPS thanks to years of Halo. But with games like PGR3, Kameo, Ridge Racer, sports titles and basically all non-FPS games, then that isn't true at all. But yeah, I prefer the PC for FPS, but my gaming range is broad so FPS is not what I only play. I also have my nephews come over to my condo and letting 8 and 9 yr old kids on my pc is out of the question....lol. I don't know how you guys are, but I hate people even touching my pc set-up, let alone use it. So, it has to be consoles for them and we play kid friendly sports and racing games.

btf1980 said:
I think it depends on the type of games you play. If all you play is FPS, then that's a valid arguement, thought i'm used to console controls for FPS thanks to years of Halo. But with games like PGR3, Kameo, Ridge Racer, sports titles and basically all non-FPS games, then that isn't true at all. But yeah, I prefer the PC for FPS, but my gaming range is broad so FPS is not what I only play. I also have my nephews come over to my condo and letting 8 and 9 yr old kids on my pc is out of the question....lol. I don't know how you guys are, but I hate people even touching my pc set-up, let alone use it. So, it has to be consoles for them and we play kid friendly sports and racing games.

Not to mention if you have friends you game with IN PERSON... You can't all get on the PC together. And what fun would it be even if you can. Hey guys...let's all crowd around my 20 inch monitor this'll be awesome!

diehard said:
Money is no object but you only have a 40'' tv? psssh. :)

The cubby hole is exactley large enough to hold the 40" tv, so it fits perfectly. Anything larger would have to go somewhere awkward in the living room. It's a 40" Trinitron and the picture is awesome. Big enough for a nice home theater system.

So bigger wouldn't work, and I can't imagine getting a better picture sans Plasma. Sony Trinitron tube tv's are the best. So there. :p

btf1980 said:

Not what I'm looking for in a gaming experience. I don't much care for the sports games or fighting games, etc. I like the racing games so that would be the only reason I'd get it. But then I like my steering wheel and pedals that are attached to my desk. I could see having friends/family sit next to you on the couch playing together would be fun. But that's not likely to happen.

Thanks for the feedback. Don't think I'm missing a whole lot yet. But it sounds like a lot of you are going to get something cool that you'll enjoy... so bonus for you. Gaming rocks!
:cool:

EricDawg said:

As an avid PC gamer, you want an XBOX 360 because Microsoft's marketing department has about $400 million that says you do. You also want an XBOX 360 because it is Circuitbreaker8's opinion that the XBOX 360 is the pinnacle of modern engineering, a monolith of industrial electronic design the complexity and beauty of which mankind has never seen before and will never see again for all time, and as we have established before, Circuitbreaker8's opinion is not an opinion, but rather, fact.

Oh, and PGR3 was coded by God himself.

If you just want to play FPS games and you have a high end rig don't bother.

Personally I'm getting one for games like Kameo, RPGs, racing, and the few good console FPS like PDZ(I loved the first PD) even though I know my PC will have better graphics and better control in FPS games.

This is why I like consoles:

1) Multiplayer is more fun and much easier. Simply sit on the sofa and fire it up, no more setting up LAN's and sitting accross the table from friends. Now they're right next to me where I can kick, bump, and distract them when I'm losing :D
2) It's cheap, nuff said
3) It's truely plug and play. No more upgrading to play new games, no more crashes, and no more searching for patches
4) It's much more relaxing. Sitting on the sofa with my feet up is much more enjoyable than being hunched over my desk.

There are some pros to PC games. Obviously FPS games are much better on the PC and Driving Sims are much more realistic on the PC IMO. I used to have an Xbox before the Hurricane's put it 20 feet under water while it was at a friend's house waiting to be repaired (mod chip was bad) and the sole intention of me getting an Xbox was for multiplayer games (mainly car games) and to be honest, that's about the only time I ever played.

Cliff notes:
Consoles are more social, cheap, and easy to use.

Just another console, just another hype.

PCs outperform consoles long before the consoles hit the shelves. The only reason I'd get one would be for some seriously good games that I wouldn't be able to get for PC. I once bought an Xbox just to have Ghost Recon 2 on XBox Live (loved it) but then, having planned ahead, turned the console in for store credit and got 3 PC games and sold Ghost Recon 2 at EB.

I do not know of anyplace that actually rents out PC games. You can blockbuster test console games before plunking down 50 bucks. Sure as hell beats demos, which can be all too misleading. Thats my 2 cents since everyone else covered any of my other points.

btf1980 said:

If I had the money I would have got the 360 just for PGR 3, but I don't. I just seems that most games lately seem to be fps.

The number one reason to buy an Xbox360 :

You got tired of only seeing your overclocked computer crash and want to enjoy the fun of having a crash / error message on 40 inches of High Def BABY!

Maybe I am bitter because my system doesn't work.

I can say from the half races I can play in PGR3 (before disc read error) and the one training level I could get through on PDZ (before system freezes) that both games seem impressive. I cant wait until M$ gets me my new system, the shipping box should be here tomorrow to overnight my broken 360 to M$.

Sports and fighting games are just superior on consoles in general, but FPS's are a bit wierd. Also, there is nothing like playing a game with your friends on a nice big TV when they come over.

Blown 89 said:
This is why I like consoles:

1) Multiplayer is more fun and much easier. Simply sit on the sofa and fire it up, no more setting up LAN's and sitting accross the table from friends. Now they're right next to me where I can kick, bump, and distract them when I'm losing :D
2) It's cheap, nuff said
3) It's truely plug and play. No more upgrading to play new games, no more crashes, and no more searching for patches
4) It's much more relaxing. Sitting on the sofa with my feet up is much more enjoyable than being hunched over my desk.

Are you saying split screen multiplayer games or are you saying your mate brings his console around with his tv (or borrows one of yours)? if my friends bring their pc aound to mine they automatically connect to my wireless network, i just sit on my sofa playing 64 player cod2 online etc, you make it sound as if its hard to set a pc up nowadays (ie bring a shuttle pc around with a tft monitor, nothing more than you would taking an xbox 360 with a monitor to someones house!), or are you living in the past??!! And why do you have to be hunched over a desk, some people have had pcs under the tv even before the first xbox! I only agree on your point that the xbox 360 is a cheap gaming solution, amazing infact for the price.

I just sit on my sofa playing games, when i want to play another game i dont even have to get up to faff around changing a game disc, i just click on the game i want to play, i click on the film i want to watch, i even order pizza over the net. if i didnt exercise or take the mrs out and have a social life id be fat!

Back