Artist Uses Computer Model of His Face to Get French National ID Card

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Someone in France managed to apply for an identification card by submitting a 3D model of his face instead of a traditional photo. Isn’t this technically illegal? Apparently, the uncanny valley does not apply to everybody.

The photo I submitted for this request is actually a 3D model created on a computer, by means of several different software and techniques used for special effects in movies and in the video game industry. It is a digital image, where the body is absent, the result of an artificial process. The image corresponds to the official demands for an ID: it is resembling, is recent, and answers all the criteria of framing, light, bottom, and contrasts to be observed.

2. Fifliffl

Fifliffl [H]Lite

I find it scarier that you can submit your own photo for an ID card

3. wizzi01

wizzi01 [H]ard|Gawd

We had to do it before they changed the laws for a Michigan cpl.

4. Nunu

Nunu n00bie

They must be blind in France because that 3d render is not photorealistic. Hair and clothing alone should set it off as a fake.

5. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

uh france! praise aloha, aloha snackbar! :p

Ducman69 likes this.
  6. xX_Jack_Carver_Xx

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx 2[H]4U

Does this mean Jack Carver can get an ID?

7. Xrave

Xrave [H]ardness Supreme

You submit your own photo for a passport.

8. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

At least in Canada, that photo has to be taken and endorsed by an approved photo shop.

I am not sure why any country would allow a "representation" of a guy's face to stand in for an image of his face. Could I just do a realistic sketch of my face and get that approved too?

9. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Not sure where the shock is?

10. serpretetsky

serpretetsky [H]ard|Gawd

Are you looking at the full resolution render or the little photos he sent in? If I was dealing with hundreds of photos a day I probably wouldn't have noticed it's a render.

scojer likes this.
  11. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

Either they have a computer which just detects faces, and auto approves, or they have a French man smoking a cigarette looking at hundreds a day. I can see how that'll pass through either one.

12. Viper87227

Viper87227 Pick your own.....you deserve it.

This. It's easy to spot when we know up front it's a render. If a random person came across this image, I don't think they would give it a second glance. It looks really enough to not give anyone a reason to eye it closer than any other photo.

13. SpaceFlotsam

SpaceFlotsam n00bie

If it doesn't actually look like him, then its a stupid idea. Just providing shape and shade is not going to help in a criminal investigation.