Artifacts black dots only on 165mhz. Gpu or monitor or driver issue?

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello.
First my pc.I have Gigabyte Rtx 3090 OC ( stock ) and 10850K stock ,32gb ram.

Issue is only on 1920x1080P with 165hz. On 1440P with 165mhz is fine. On 1920x1080P with 144hz is fine. On 1920x1080P with 165mhz i can see on screen small black dots flickering vertical.
If i wanna catch screen its not visible or clip. So i post screen and i added from paint. Just very small flickering black dots on vertical position. Screens not working. Happens only in 1080P with 165HZ. Visible on desktop too when i am very close.

art.jpg

Monitor is using DP cable. Model: Aorus FI27Q

If the issue is in the screenshot, then it's not hardware, it a software issue. Is it only in Crysis? Perhaps the game is corrupted somehow?

Edit, NVM, you did this in paint lol.

Chances are the monitor is the culprit since it doesn't happen at 1080p 144hz or 1440p 165hz. What monitor is displaying this issue?

Aorus FI27Q. Yes it happens only on 1080P <or res below> and only in 165HZ.On 144HZ is ok.

Aorus FI27Q
Have you tested different driver versions to eliminate that as the possible issue yet? This would obviously be the easiest to test.

After that the only why to figure it out is to try your rig on a different monitor or try another GPU with your current monitor (or both if you're a mad scientist).

Have you tested different driver versions to eliminate that as the possible issue yet? This would obviously be the easiest to test.

After that the only why to figure it out is to try your rig on a different monitor or try another GPU with your current monitor (or both if you're a mad scientist).
I tried other older drivers nothing helped. The same issue. On desktop or in games i have that small vertical black spots flickering. When i am on 1440P its ok with 165mhz. Only on 1080P or below res with 165mhz issue

Ok but if i am dont playing on 1080P with 165hz can i ignore that?

sure.
now can you stop making new threads for the same system and game.

Ok so if somebody get the same issue with the same monitor is this related to monitor settings or cable?

Ok so if somebody get the same issue with the same monitor is this related to monitor settings or cable?
who friggin knows, its a dead, unresolved random post on reddit. if you are hung up on that....
try another cable, drop from 165, idk, try something ffs. you freak out about everything and never try anything on your own and then question everything the people trying to help say. its getting old.

Smells like a monitor problem to me. Maybe the built-in scaler isn't quite right. At 2560x1440 the scaler would have nothing to do.

I'd try enabling scaling by the video card under Display - Adjust desktop size and position. That'll send a 2560x1440 signal to the monitor.

Also still worth trying other cables and HDMI, but I'd think the problem would be the same or worse at 2560x1440 165Hz if it were the cable.

Yeah but on 1080P or less its fine even with 144hz. Only 165hz and 1080P and below showing dots

I'd guess cable or some weird slightly out of spec component with issues at a certain frequency/load if it only appears at one refresh rate. Veeeeerrry weird and rare issue.

I made perform scaling on [gpu] in nvidia panel and it dissapeared on 1080P 165hz. Yes it resolved. But why?

Somebody said this to me:"RMA it if it's possible, it will become more and more annoying with time, because you will think of the problem every time you sit in front of it... even if you just play on settings where the dots are not there."

Last edited:
thank you for answering. I was testing for a moment Crysis Remaster in 1080P and just discovered that mini small black vertical dots ,visible only in blue background .
They are on all non native resolutions with 165hz. So 1080P and below. With 144hz its fine.
Using native 1440P with 165hz also its fine.

1080P 165hz- dots
1080P 144hz - fine no dots
1440P 165hz - fine no dots

So keep monitor?

thank you for answering. I was testing for a moment Crysis Remaster in 1080P and just discovered that mini small black vertical dots ,visible only in blue background .
They are on all non native resolutions with 165hz. So 1080P and below. With 144hz its fine.
Using native 1440P with 165hz also its fine.

1080P 165hz- dots
1080P 144hz - fine no dots
1440P 165hz - fine no dots

So keep monitor?
The fact someone else posted the same thing on reddit some time ago leads us to believe it's a minor fault with the monitor, that means all of them and an RMA won't fix it. Whether you keep it or not is entirely up to you nd your use case. If 1080p at 165hz is something you regularly run, then your best bet is to find a different monitor that is capable of running that without this issue. If this is not a resolution/refresh rate combo you ever run, then what does it matter that it has a minor fault?

I notice something similar playing COD:MW on my acer 1440p 144hz monitor and rtx 3080 and found out it was the hardware acceleration in the battle.net launcher causing the problem. After turning off hardware acceleration all problems went away. I don't how much of use this info may be for you but it might be worth investigating.

so no rma?:]
This is not something that anyone should be able to answer on a general forum. You have identified an issue, what you need to do is open a dialog with the manufacturer of the product in which you are having issues with. It sounds to me like a design flaw, if the manufacturer is offering RMAs with a revision update, they will be able to inform you if it's covered.

When i am using in nvidia panel. I made perform scaling from monitor on [gpu] and it dissapeared ,that dots dissapearing. It must be monitor?

When i am on nvidia panel and change perform scaling to gpu from monitor then i dont see that small vertical dots on 1080P 165hz. So it must be monitor or hardware ?

I know but just ask about that issue on 1080P 165hz. Its monitor thing not hardware:)?Problem is on 1920x1080 on 165hz.
On 1920x1200 on 165hz its fine :)

It's almost certainly a monitor thing, though last I checked monitors counted as hardware. :p

If your GPU was messed up I wouldn't expect turning on GPU scaling to fix it, and if it was the cable I'd expect it to be worse at higher res.

I'm thinking the chip or whatever that does the scaling in the monitor isn't quite up to the job. When you run at native res or use GPU scaling so the monitor gets a native res signal the monitor doesn't have to scale anything. The problem part isn't used and everything works fine. So don't worry about it and just have your 3090 do the scaling when you want to run at less than 2560x1440. I bet the 3090 scales faster (adds less latency for scaling) than whatever logic your monitor has in it anyway.

Just worried. Because somebody said to me that this can be caused by gpu. Also i dont another monitor to test. Is this possible that gpu is issue only on 1080P with only 165hz?

Hey guys. When i wanna make screen and dots are not visible on screens then its almost sure its not gpu but monitor/cable?

yes. clearly has no idea what he is doing yet always on the "cutting edge"...
I think it's more that he has to pay his credit card off eventually, so has to resell everything again to pay for it. I've seen him post about having to sell hardware to pay off debt a few times now, and then re-buy new HEDT hardware a month or two later. So I think we know where this month's stimmy check is going to for OP if he's in the US, which he may not be given his bad English.

I think it's more that he has to pay his credit card off eventually, so has to resell everything again to pay for it. I've seen him post about having to sell hardware to pay off debt a few times now, and then re-buy new HEDT hardware a month or two later. So I think we know where this month's stimmy check is going to for OP if he's in the US, which he may not be given his bad English.
hey what you mean?

Back