Artifacting Issues at Boot - Ryzen Build - Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming K7 - EK P360 Water Cooling Kit

Aardvarck

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I'm having a pretty serious issue after installing an EK P360 kit onto my Ryzen build. I am using the EK Supremacy Evo water cooling kit. I have a brand new Gigabyte x370 Aorus Gaming K7 board with a Ryzen 1700X with 16GB of G. Skill Trident X RGB memory. All powered by an EVGA 850W G2. I only have a video card, the kit, a Samsung Evo M.2 drive, 3 case fans, and the motherboard installed. The PSU should be enough for everything.

I'm getting artifacting when I initially boot my PC and when Windows loads, the display goes haywire. What I'm getting is two wide white flickering bars when the PC initially boots. When Windows loads, I either get the same white bars with a Windows error or just a bunch of random flickering squares on the screen. I'll upload screenshots shortly.

I've tried the video card in a different PC, no issues there. I tried a different PSU and the same issue occurred. I tried reseating the water block (Supremacy Evo) and untightening the screws but still get the issue. I did tighten the screws down all the way, per instructions, when I initially installed everything. I've reseated the PSU as well. Also tried resetting the CMOS by taking the battery out for more than 5 minutes.

The only thing I haven't tried is flashing the BIOS. I'm going to try that at lunch today.

However, the system worked fine before installing the kit. I know this because I tested the board and everything else with a Cooler Master Evo heat sink and was able to boot without issues.

There are no leaks in the system after 24 hours of testing.

I've read that there were issues with the Asus ROG Crosshair VI and the EK gasket causing issues. Is it possible that this is the cause on this board as well? I've removed the center piece from the gasket, per instructions.

Any thoughts on what I may be overlooking?

Tried that. Didn't fix it. I also tried installing the same GPU into my old system to test it out and it worked fine.

See attached images for more details.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 234
  • 3.png
    3.png
    575.5 KB · Views: 71
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 354
Just updated the BIOS to the most recent version (F3). Still getting the same issue.

try reseating everything, even the cpu and push it firmly into the socket as you lower the arm. several ppl have had issues with that. if you have another psu try that too. it looks like a gpu issue but if it works in another system idk...

Removing backplate and gasket, Installing new non-conductive material, cork, foam rubber, plastic cutout.

I tried replacing the gasket with the original adhesive covering that came with the motherboard. I still get the artifacting issue. Gonna try buying a cheap video card to see if that helps. I also have a ticket opened with EK to see if they will send me a new gasket.

I even bought another motherboard (ASUS ROG Crosshair VI) to try my luck. The same exact issue occurs.

have you tried just putting a hsf back on to see if it is even the ek stuff causing the prob?

I had everything hooked up with a cooler master Evo 212 HSF prior to the EK installation. No issues.

I may try again just for the heck of it. Maybe I fried my GPU somewhere during the EK install.

I bought a cheap $29 GForce 8200 GPU and installed it. Artifacting is now gone. Not sure if the PSU has enough juice to power everything, or if my GPU is on the fritz.

I have an EVGA G2 750 (Not an 850 like I mentioned earlier). 750W should be enough to push my system right?

Back