Artifacting in CS:S on 7800GT OC

demingo

Trump is My President!
I have a BFG 7800GT OC, and in Counter-Strike: Source I seem to get artifacting. Little white dots in random patterns all over. Generally hard to see unless Im looking for them, but still rather annoying. Does anyone have any idea on why these would show up? Im running the card at stock (well bfg stock 425/1050) speeds. Also, none of my other games exibit this problem. I'm running at 1024*768 with all settings on max. 6X AA 16X AF. It's begging to bug me slowly. Wondering if the card is bad, because it shouldnt be artifacting at default speeds. The temp in Nvidia driver shows 45C. Any ideas?

You have a 7800GT OC and you're running at 1024x768? That's your problem :D

I gave 4x a try and its still artifacting. And yea I run 1024x768 cause thats the resolution I'm used to. This artifacting is annoying though. I dont see how it could be a bad card if it only happens in one game though. hmm

demingo said:
I gave 4x a try and its still artifacting. And yea I run 1024x768 cause thats the resolution I'm used to. This artifacting is annoying though. I dont see how it could be a bad card if it only happens in one game though. hmm

but what a waste! if u run at THAT resolution, a plain jain 6800nu will suit u fine

haha, in a way, it would be fine for CS:S, but running fear at 1280x1024 with everything maxed.. the 7800GT is nice :)

Can you post a screenshot? Imageshack, photobucket, etc... are all free to sign up and you upload your photos to the net for us to look at. Sounds to me like a driver/shimmering issue more than anything else.

I remeber a while back I used some driver that would cause white lines in CS:S, I haven't noticed them currently though. I have a 6800GT and notice other artifacts however. It looks like textures are overlapping each other and spazzing in almost every game, I believe it's called Z-fighting. It's really distracting and I tried RMAing my card because of it. The day I was meant to send it off I popped in my old 9500pro and it still had the same artifacts so either something else in my pc is messed up or its just the games.

Do you have another card to test out?

I dont have another videocard to test with. However I did take a screenshot to show you exactly what I mean. The artifacting is especially noticeable on the red brick area..

de_train0000.jpg

Lower the clock speed if you can. And play it at 1028x1024 I mean c'mon. I play it with max settings with my rig at 1280x1024 and it plays even better than it does at 1024x768.

looks to me like problems with either memory or pixel shader pipelines
i had that in HL2 demo while overclocking my videocard (9800pro at the time)
so if u dont overclock anything, i'd check for the same behaviour on a diff machine and if persists, send it back and get it replaced

Alex

You could try turning vsync and triple buffering on in hopes of reducing work load / temps, but if I were you id just rma it and be done with it.

Well, took the videocard back to the store, swapped it for a new one and all seems well. Guess I just got a dud the first time around..

Also Major_A. Please take your nvidia hatred elsewere. Its obviously not a shimmering issue but actual artifacting due to bad memory. If you're not gonna help with a problem, dont waste my time reading your worthless post.

What in the hell are you talking about? I have three computers running in my house as we I write this with a 6800nu, 5600, and MX440. You are obviously a sensitive little guy that can't take constructive criticism. I pointed you to that article to show you there was a problem and it has been noted. If you can’t take the answer to a question don’t fucking ask.
demingo said:
Also Major_A. Please take your nvidia hatred elsewere. Its obviously not a shimmering issue but actual artifacting due to bad memory. If you're not gonna help with a problem, dont waste my time reading your worthless post.
Well if you knew that all along why did you even post the question? Don't get all high and mighty after someone pointed it out to you that could be the problem.

You got it fixed, congrats I suppose.

look like u need to push down AF or disable it. teh white dotty thing has nothin to do with AA, but AF.

I was having all sorts of problems with my 7800GTX Because I was running it at 1024 and low res' like that. When people told me , its running like crap because of the low res' i didnt beleive them.

This setup runs better at 4xFSAA, 4x AF, 1600x1200 than it does with everything turned off at 1024x768.... How is that possible? But its awesome.

BigDaddy, AF isnt the problem. While I do notice the shimmering problem with it, the white dots are gone after I swapped out the cards. So that was definately artifacting due to be a bad videocard (im guessing memory). Hopefully Nvidia will fix the shimmering issue sometime soon.

Back