Article: THQ's Space Marine copies Gears of War

TheOneKnownAsMe

[H]ard|Gawd
I read this article and couldn't help but notice how much utter Bullshit it contained.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/25/how-many-ways-can-thqs-space-marine-game-rip-off-gears-of-war/

He goes so far as to say how similar the blood splatters are, as well as how the guns shoot in a similar fashion. Oh, and heaven forbid someone put a Hammer in their game. Seriously, how much can the simulation of the dispersal of blood as the result of a violent act be diversified? It's all a big red mess in the end anyway, and is bound to look similar. OH, and guns that shoot the same way? Really?

Also, the guy harps on the fact that the Orks somewhat resemble those from Tolkein's work. Well of course they bear some resemblance, the man bulldozed the way for modern fantasy, there's bound to be similarities.

The guy might just be trolling for page views, but whatever, I still felt the need to rant.

Edit: While reading through another thread elsewhere in relation to this article, I found a link to his "review" of Mass Effect, if it can even be called that. What a joke.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080103..._why_mass_effect_falls_short_of_its_hype.html

Last edited:
One third person shooter/combat game looks like another third person shooter/combat game? Oh no! :p

They've already said Space Marine will be more of a "charge into the fray" hack and slash with guns while GOW is a cover based third person shooter with close range combat.

Warhammer 40k has been around for some 25 years and the look of Space Marine is consistent with how 40k the table top game has looked and felt for as long as I've been collecting (about 15 years).

Never heard of the website. It just looks like a glorified blog after taking a look at it.

He is getting his as kicked in the comments at least.

Holy shit, that was painful to read.
Who the fuck gave that guy a job writing?

EDIT: Regardless of what that idiot has to say, I'm stoked for Space Marine.

All Orcs and Orc related things are all tied to Tolkien, no shit. he's the one who created them... Someone's a dumbass...

Game does look perty kewls though.

I'm surprised that even in his update he talks about it being a knock off and copying Gears of War on things like the chainsword... which has been the primary weapon for Space Marines in 40k backstory for at least 15 years, lol. You would think that any half decent writer before writing an update after getting pounded by negative comments might actually READ up on what 40k is and realise "Hey wait a second... Gears of War is copying 40k, not the other way around!".

I think the most you could actually say is that maybe Relic should have seen that the "space marine" angle has already been done by GOW and they should have picked a different race to follow, maybe eldar, though the Marines are probably the most popular in Games Workshop's entire range so its logical to use them for a game like this.

Anyway, I'm really hoping Space Marine is good... I'm not getting so far ahead as to preorder it, but if it gets good reviews I'll buy it close to release, if not I'll buy it from the bargain bin in a year or so, lol.

This is right up there with people saying Dawn of War copied Starcraft's races.... *Facepalm*

On topic edit: I didn't bother reading the article because I'm buying the game regardless. :D
Free copy of Darksiders if you preorder. Kinda tempting since I missed the $5.00 sale a couple months ago.

This is right up there with people saying Dawn of War copied Starcraft's races.... *Facepalm*

No, but people that say Blizzard ripped off GW, without noting GW was heavily influence by Tolkien, Starship Troopers etc are just as annoying. Especially since Warcraft 1 was supposed to be a Warhammer game and was changed when GW backed out when the game was basically done. Starcraft was supposed to be WH40k.. If you believe the rumours.

No, but people that say Blizzard ripped off GW, without noting GW was heavily influence by Tolkien, Starship Troopers etc are just as annoying. Especially since Warcraft 1 was supposed to be a Warhammer game and was changed when GW backed out when the game was basically done. Starcraft was supposed to be WH40k.. If you believe the rumours.

It's pretty common knowledge SC was going to be a GW game, they had been trying to get into the gaming scene for a while at that point (Final Liberation, Chaos Gate, etc). Everything was influenced by something, but a blatant rip off is totally different.

And I am not sure what you are trying to say here. If you are trying to disagree with me, you furthered my point by acknowledging Blizzard basically ripped their work from GW.

Arrogant , ignorant "Journalist" is all I can take away from reading this morons conclusions on the Space Marines expac.

What a complete tool.

Space Marine looks pretty cool. Seems kinda Painkillerish in a way with some Onimusha melee elements and a GeoW third person shooter mechanic. Kind of fresh though in a way.
I'm diggin' it.:cool:

On topic edit: I didn't bother reading the article because I'm buying the game regardless. :D
Free copy of Darksiders if you preorder. Kinda tempting since I missed the $5.00 sale a couple months ago.

I think Darksiders is a great game myself. Imagine Zelda, but you play a big burly horseman of the apocolypse and the enemies are demons. Its not as deep as Zelda, but its obviously a huge knock off from Zelda's gameplay, but in a good way, I found it really entertaining. If you intend to get Space Marine and dont already own Darksiders I suppose its a good deal, though you can often get Darksiders for next to nothing these days anyway.

Last edited:

Everyone copies everyone else in this genre to a certain degree. My friend used to say that you could tell what the 40k game designers had for breakfast that morning because it'd come out in the actual game :p Like, even though 40k has had Tyranids for a while, the previous iteration of tyranids were obviously heavily inspired by both the Aliens and Starship Troopers movies (not sure about their current iteration, haven't played for many years). Necrons, especially the first necrons, looked almost identical to the Terminator movies (I have two of the original necron miniatures and there's really no other way to describe it). The Tau, well apparently they're some manga/anime thingo but I'm not into Japanese comics and animation so fucked if I know what they're copying :p Eldar has been around as long as I've been collecting, but then they brought out Dark Eldar which felt like a copy/paste of their Dark Elves from Warhammer Fantasy.

But as far as the core races go, Space Marines, Tyranids, Orks, Imperial Guard, they go back a long way. I have a GW Codex that is copyright 1994 which has pictures of Space Marines with chainswords fighting tyranids ;)

This makes me want to get back into the table top game, I haven't played a game in about 5 years and not a serious game in about 10 years, lol.

Tyranids have been around for quite a while. I have an old 'nids codex with a copyright date of 1995 on it. I took some photos to show how the art style has evolved of one army/race in the WH40K universe... and its still the same exact game and its still the same army.

Anyways, back on top I really hate ignorant people. I hate it even more when you point out someone's ignorance and they are too proud to admit it and continue to make obvious blunders further proving how big of a idiot he/she is.

Space Marine looks like another title I will happily purchase based on the WH40K universe. I really need to find people to play my 'nids army against. I should finish painting them first though...

I love his update and retraction. The guy basically calls everyone an idiot and a nerd without really retracting anything.

Dean is lead writer for GamesBeat at VentureBeat. He covers video games, security, chips and a variety of other subjects

They need a new lead writer for sure and if his other subjects are as poorly researched and shoddily covered as this article was I don't know what to say other than I feel sorry for anyone who reads his columns.

LOL this guy is obviously a 360/Gears of War fanboy. He wrote two books on the 360 and loves him some Gears. It's awesome that he got his ass chewed, POS.

His Mass Effect review was amusing. Too bad it wasn't more like Halo 3, indeed.

Yeah I just read that as well. I dont know how this guy ever got paid for journalism or writing. The only person who can get away with reviewing a game after not finishing it is Yahtzee and that's simply because he does satirical reviews where as this guy appears to be serious yet comes off simply uninformed and short sighted.

The best part about the ME review? He admitted later on in the comments that he hadn't been using the upgrade points he had been getting when he leveled up, and that using them suddenly made the game so much easier.

Even if it IS a GoW clone......... I will still give THQ my money.

Warhammer 40K series stole my childhood (that and Diablo 2)

His edit proved his ineptitude at writing. He admitted to doing no homework, no knowledge on the 40k universe, zero interaction with the game itself and showed he was emotional about the Gears franchise.

HOW can I get that job? He just threw up a bunch of words and put that as an article. Instead of editing it he should of just done some homework, rewrote the article to better protray his interaction with the game, post a new opinion after having some knowledge to compare both games with and then apologize for being a complete idiot with his first article. No way hes still got a job after doing this for "15 years" no way at all.

Back