Arous X3 or a 14" Razor Blade

Erganomulos

Limp Gawd
I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just want something portable and that will last me 3-4 years.

I've read up on both but I'm not an expert by any means.

If given the choice, which would you choose? The Aorus X3 or 14" Razor Blade or something else?

Thanks!

I would go with Aorus X3. Doesnt look as good as Razer Blade but its design has better air flow compare to the Razor Blade. Buy it on Newegg now and you will get a free AOC 27 in monitor which in a bonus.

Neither. Maxwell is already out with the 9xxm series while the 870m is a Kepler based card using an architecture at this point more than 2.5 years old.

Unless you're getting a great deal look at other models or wait for the refreshes.

as a casual gamer and not someone who will play for hours on end, am I really going to notice a difference between the 870m and the 970m?

This is hard to answer without knowing the specific models being compared and the price points. Buying old or outgoing technology at a discount is different than buying it for the same (or near the same) price as new/upcoming technology (which many people do, I think big box retail is still selling Sandybridge laptops for example and not cheaply either, because they aren't aware). After that it's a personal judgment weighing value and time.

Also the 965m has been added to Nvidia drivers apparently. You'll likely be seeing launches further down the 9xxm line over the next little while as well new laptops and updates, especially with CES upcoming in January and Intel set to formally launch Broadwell ULVs.

The 970m is about 40% faster than the 870m, of course actually performance differences will vary depending on work load and implementation. Whether or not you notice the difference is hard to qualify. Any performance differences and future feature differences (eg. DX12) will likely become more magnified going forward however. The Aorus implementation does have more VRAM though.

In that sense it doesn't really make sense to pay more for the older technology but I can't really quantify how much you value the rest of the differences between the two laptops however.

If you do want the Aorus (or the Razerblade, but Razer is rather slow in this area typically) wait for the refresh or price cuts.

Back