Around $250 speakers to connect to my PC for small room.

professional loser

Limp Gawd
I work from home 100% and looking for white speakers to connect to my PC. I was using Creative GigaWorks T40 previously, but my wife had taken them. Want to upgrade, was looking at Creative T40 Version II ($120), but the newer version seem to have some green power saving feature that apparently gets irritating as you miss the first few seconds of sound when waking up.

Some of the speakers that I have been looking at now are-

Audioengine A5+, $358 (plenty of connection options to connect directly to the PC)
A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶A̶2̶+̶,̶ ̶$̶3̶0̶0̶ ̶(̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶P̶C̶)̶
* Cambridge Audio Minx XL, $130 (instead of $160) + DAC?
* Dali Spektor 2, $250 + DAC?

* Will need a DAC for some of them I think to connect to PC??? Any reliable and cheap recommendations? Need to factor that in the cost!
Edit- Ok I am now confused, do I need an Amplifier or DAC to connect to the PC :-P

Quality + Bang for the buck is what I am after :) Btw I listen to all kind of music, from classical to electronic etc etc.

Last edited:
you will need either an amp for bookshelf sets, most dacs have a bit of an amp in the but you might need a bigger unit.
fluance makes some nice self powered bookshelf systems that are white faced, side are still wood grain.
audioengine a5+ look nice too.

Might want to read this thread.

https://hardforum.com/threads/good-compact-2-0-setup-pc-music-some-movies-occasional-gaming.2010032/

With Powered speakers, you don't need an Amp. Weither you need a DAC all depends on what kind of music format you listen to but generally (you definitely want one if you have 24bit music), having even a low price US DAC will give you better sound quality since you're doing all the D2A away from all the EM noise inside a PC case. Do a search fo USB DAC and see.

Last edited:
This for $50~ (plus power supply unless you buy it with a PSU on Ali or ebay?) mine was $45 with a 19V psu on Ali (took 3~weeks to get here however)
Nobsound NG-04G Pro .. this thing is pretty decent.. I can't complain really.

1623349481183.png

and whatever bookshelf speakers you can want... Them Dali / Cambridge options look great

This for $50~ (plus power supply unless you buy it with a PSU on Ali or ebay?) mine was $45 with a 19V psu on Ali (took 3~weeks to get here however)
Nobsound NG-04G Pro .. this thing is pretty decent.. I can't complain really.

View attachment 364773

and whatever bookshelf speakers you can want... Them Dali / Cambridge options look great

Nobsound NS-15G PRO Bluetooth 5.0 Digital Amplifier PCM5102A Decoding 100W×2 with Power Supply (NS-15G PRO)​

It is selling for $140 in my country in Europe. Plus I keep reading that it is a fire hazard!!!??

Are there any reasonably priced reputable brands instead?

you will need either an amp for bookshelf sets, most dacs have a bit of an amp in the but you might need a bigger unit.
fluance makes some nice self powered bookshelf systems that are white faced, side are still wood grain.
audioengine a5+ look nice too.
A5+ would be straight forward, no amp etc required, but I keep reading that it is too much hype rather than quality?

A5+ would be straight forward, no amp etc required, but I keep reading that it is too much hype rather than quality?
reviews look good to me. theres a few "damaged when i got it" and the big complaints seem to be no headphone jack and limited remote functions. if interested in them, watch read some more reviews i guess. your call though.

reviews look good to me. theres a few "damaged when i got it" and the big complaints seem to be no headphone jack and limited remote functions. if interested in them, watch read some more reviews i guess. your call though.

Yes, have not counted it out yet.
Btw Cambridge Audio Minx XL, 2 @ $130 got sold out while I was busy reading and watching reviews! It is like a rabbit hole, you get sucked in lol. Plenty of Minx XL still available but at $160.
Local European prices.

I just can't get past the visually shiny "bow tie" look of JBL. My gym has a DJ and he has them there. I would be looking straight at it all day and going crazy.

Anyway, I had already ordered Cambridge Audio Minx XL for $160 + 2021 Nobsound NS15-G, 100 W + 100 W for $60, Total cost = $220, cheap and sweet I hope. Will know next week :)

Attachments

• minxxl_white.png
    minxxl_white.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 71MTAK-c0hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71MTAK-c0hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
I just can't get past the visually shiny "bow tie" look of JBL. My gym has a DJ and he has them there. I would be looking straight at it all day and going crazy.

Anyway, I had already ordered Cambridge Audio Minx XL for $160 + 2021 Nobsound NS15-G, 100 W + 100 W for $60, Total cost = $220, cheap and sweet I hope. Will know next week :)
Hey, I hope you liked em.

Only reason I recommend the LSR 305s is because reading around the internet, they have been a go to favorite for someone wanting good speakers that don't require an amp.

I have a set of these on my home entertainment system in my living room as well as my PC. It is paired with a LSR310S on my PC, and I have the cheaperMonoprice Stage Right 10-Inch Powered Studio Multimedia Subwoofer - (605999)

I paid as low as $193.00 for the LSR 305s MKII (normally between $200-275ish a pair) and as low as $163.00 for the Monoprice Sub, $242 for the JBL LSR310S

Both have been outstanding. If you decide you don't like that set up, look into it. You won't be disappointed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back