Armored Warfare - modern military tank shooter from Obsidian

Looking forward to this. Almost no tank games (aside from Steel Beats, a proper simulator) or even vehicle games. I hope it is an SP & an MP game. I was just thinking the other day that I would really like to play a tank game. :D

I hope they strike a balance between realism and easier gameplay though. A full simulator requires multiple crew members and multiple positions to learn which is too detailed for me. At the same time, point and click Battlefield style gameplay is too shallow. Something middle of the ground would be wonderful.

Based on that limited trailer, I'm going to assume it will be more towards the arcade side of the spectrum. I too yearn for a return to the Panzer Elite or Steel Beast level. The DCS combined arms one is still too focused on the air side for my liking.

Obsidian cannot make a simulator.

This. Obsidian can make a decent RPG, but this seems like a departure from their comfort zone. However, if the last few years are any indication, it's gunna be a long time before we get to play it anyway :p

It's not a full-blown tank simulator, but ArmA has pretty decent tank combat.

As a follow-up, the problem with realistic tank combat is that typically you need 3-4 positions in the tank, and other than the gunner and potentially the commander, most of the other roles are just not really that fun. Basically you are either gunning in some what (some commanders get a turret MG on top) or you are looking through a tiny hole, driving around. This becomes the issue often in ArmA and I think that's why there are not a lot of tank missions. You can have AI driving but it's not ideal.

As a follow-up, the problem with realistic tank combat is that typically you need 3-4 positions in the tank, and other than the gunner and potentially the commander, most of the other roles are just not really that fun. Basically you are either gunning in some what (some commanders get a turret MG on top) or you are looking through a tiny hole, driving around. This becomes the issue often in ArmA and I think that's why there are not a lot of tank missions. You can have AI driving but it's not ideal.

I would like Red Orchestra level, although they can combine the gunner/commander/driver controls for one player. Playing with AI is too difficult, and I am not too interested in sharing my tank with other players.

However, I do not see why they can not allow a player to control all three positions, but if someone opens up their tank to other players their friends can join as a dedicated driver/commander/gunner. Seems like the best of both worlds. Those of us who want to plane alone can, and those looking for more realism or teamwork can.

Edit:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/20/5528438/obsidian-entertainment-unveils-tank-centric-tactical-military-mmo

MMO. So I imagine WoT but in modern times. Better, but count me out. I can't stand MMOs and "free to play". What happened to plopping down some money and then playing the game? Not interested in playing around with crew, upgrades, or other nonsense. I figured it would be an MMO but I have to say for a moment I got my hopes up a bit. Very disappointed in the new details. :p

Last edited:
I would love to see a solid modern tank sim. There hasn't been a good one since M1 Tank Platoon 2, maybe Armored Fist 3.

I would prefer a good sim with some some online play. Maybe with some crew co-op functions.

Well, and as it says in the title, it's a "modern military tank shooter"...I don't see the word "simulator" mentioned anywhere in the actual video or article.

I'm guessing this is going to be fairly arcade-y.

Well, and as it says in the title, it's a "modern military tank shooter"...I don't see the word "simulator" mentioned anywhere in the actual video or article.

I'm guessing this is going to be fairly arcade-y.

My bigger concern is the MMO aspect. Free to "compete" which is probably just another way to say free to play. I'm not saying it will be horrible, but most MMOs, even with a bit of realism are just tedious and horrible from a game design perspective. Take War Thunder for instance. Finding a server takes 3-5 minutes, you have to grind to unlock more than a biplane, and your screen is filled with "Golden Eagles" nonsense and whatnot. I like to spend my time in my tank. Not messing around with nonsensical upgrade trees or babying my crew.

Perhaps the game can be good, but I have very low expectations. It is a shame that this free to play model has taken over the gaming industry.

World of Modern Tanks, then?

Edit: and I see this is the same company that made Southpark Stick of Truth, Fallout New Vegas and Alpha Protocol. If nothing else theyre random!

Edit: and I see this is the same company that made Southpark Stick of Truth, Fallout New Vegas and Alpha Protocol. If nothing else theyre random!

I would think so. But, New Vegas (aside from the terrible engine) was pretty good and Southpark is supposed to be as well. So perhaps this will be decent.

Obsidian have put up the 'founder's pack' for sale. It allows players to get into the early access later this month...

http://aw.my.com/us/founders-packs

The 3 packs range from 15 to 70 bucks. Pretty decent value when compared to WoT pricing for gold, premium time and the 4 premium tanks you get in the top bundle.

Also they allow you to upgrade your pack once the servers are up. Buy the $15 pack, try the game and if you like what you see, just pay the difference to unlock the goodies from the 30$/70$ bundles.

Looking forward to having a go. I really love WoT but wargaming have really dropped the ball when it comes to some key areas specifically artillery and matching making.
It seems at this stage obsidian have really listened to the pissed-off WoT players and released a tank game that WoT 'should have been'.

The only thing I'll miss about WoT is the tank era represented in game. WWI/WWII/early cold war period tanks. Not a small thing considering the iconic tanks in this period - tigers/panthers/IS's/KV's/shermans/centurions etc. Won't miss the shitty WoT game engine tho. Bigworld vs CryEngine 3.

Last edited:

Yeah, its suppose to be like a modern World of Tanks. 1950s and up to present. Personally I'm not interested in modern tanks but a lot of WoT people are hoping its good. If it is good WG will have competition finally.

Any one remember steel thunder for some of the old systems? I loved the narrowband firing tows.

anyone still playing this?

I'm still digging the arty in this game. i am not totally sure about the future of this one but if they can push it away from WoT land, it could be better than WoT.

Not as much BS to me in this one.

Actually...

DO NOT SUPPORT this game...

Aholes killed off the NA server, merged it with the EU server and then DID NOT transfer anything people had to the new server. Left all NA players to start over completely. Complete bullshit i didn't even know of until now.

They started an NA server, got all our money, and ran back to Europe.

pretty sad as it is decent....but they got my money already and I won't spend another dime.

Actually...

DO NOT SUPPORT this game...

Aholes killed off the NA server, merged it with the EU server and then DID NOT transfer anything people had to the new server. Left all NA players to start over completely. Complete bullshit i didn't even know of until now.

They started an NA server, got all our money, and ran back to Europe.

pretty sad as it is decent....but they got my money already and I won't spend another dime.

This game is still in alpha testing they are calling it early access though which is confusing. So what happened to you is there was an account wipe.. Once the game enters open beta there shouldn't be wipes like what you are talking about. Your money has gone nowhere.

Wait so the NA cluster was merged with the EU server? That's disappointing as I was thinking of joining the EA testing. No way I'm doing that now, my ping (Australia) would be terrible.

Played WoT on the EU server for 6k games which I had to abandon. The connection degraded into a rubber-bandy, ghost shell, packet lossy mess.

Will obsidian be re-opening NA when game goes OB?

I bought one of the founder packs and have been playing this some lately. I have to say I REALLY like it. It is basically World of Tanks but with modern tanks. It has the same kind of tiered research trees for the tanks (tiers 1-10 even). It has at the moment two factions to buy a selection of tanks from.

The interesting thing to me about it is that it has PVE where you have a team of 5 players against a group of bots doing some scripted mission content. So you do not have to PVP to make progress. The missions have a nice mix of objectives but they do seem kinds of limited in that it appears there is a very small mix of them that just repeat with tanks of higher tiers as you go along. Hopefully they will eventually add more missions.

All in all I can see myself actually having MORE fun that I ever did in World of Tanks and maybe this game will actually force World of Tanks to improve some too.

I just noticed that I have a couple of early access keys(2) if someone wants them I would be happy to give them out free to the first two people to ask here in this thread

I just noticed that I have a couple of early access keys(2) if someone wants them I would be happy to give them out free to the first two people to ask here in this thread

If you have any still available, I'll happily take one off your hands. :)

I been playing world of tanks for ~4yrs give or take some months. This game blows it away. The graphics are always a +1 and utilizing all cores smoothly without out spikes or anything. Also You have so many options and so much more to do. Smoke screens/grenades/shells and ton's more different types of ammunition to use depending on how far away from target / close you are from target. All around and this is my opinion but i am very impressed with the overall game. They did a good job and Wargaming is going to be in a world of hurt when this game does release to public. I remember a couple weeks ago i was driving around getting the feel for tank and stuff and forgot to actually battle. the next game i went into a player from recent game was in was like are you going to battle. I was like oppps , I am from WoT and i was just checking everything out. It's so beautiful compared to WoT. From the brush/trees and coral in the oceans.This game has way more to offer then WoT by alot. And also being a American game , i'm going to support it now.

I been playing world of tanks for ~4yrs give or take some months. This game blows it away. The graphics are always a +1 and utilizing all cores smoothly without out spikes or anything. Also You have so many options and so much more to do. Smoke screens/grenades/shells and ton's more different types of ammunition to use depending on how far away from target / close you are from target. All around and this is my opinion but i am very impressed with the overall game. They did a good job and Wargaming is going to be in a world of hurt when this game does release to public. I remember a couple weeks ago i was driving around getting the feel for tank and stuff and forgot to actually battle. the next game i went into a player from recent game was in was like are you going to battle. I was like oppps , I am from WoT and i was just checking everything out. It's so beautiful compared to WoT. From the brush/trees and coral in the oceans.This game has way more to offer then WoT by alot. And also being a American game , i'm going to support it now.

wargaming is actually copying this game now. they are going to rework artillery to copy what AW.

They did a good job and Wargaming is going to be in a world of hurt when this game does release to public.

They're already scrambling. Loads of HD tank models being pumped out, new sounds for next patch, motion physics, etc.

But, you know, as they say: Too little, too late.

The graphics as it is in WoT currently is fine by me. Its pretty decent in fact. AW is going to have to do better than just 'better graphics'. Personally I hope the game is good because WoT needs serious competition in the worse way. If AW turns out to be just another WoT with newer era tanks that is not going to be enough to get me to play it. I don't care for the modern tanks theme but that's just me. I prefer a WW2 era theme. We'll see though. Has anyone heard when AW is to officially launch?

The graphics as it is in WoT currently is fine by me. Its pretty decent in fact. AW is going to have to do better than just 'better graphics'. Personally I hope the game is good because WoT needs serious competition in the worse way. If AW turns out to be just another WoT with newer era tanks that is not going to be enough to get me to play it. I don't care for the modern tanks theme but that's just me. I prefer a WW2 era theme. We'll see though. Has anyone heard when AW is to officially launch?

i don't think they've said yet but I thought open beta was going to be this year like in october/november

they have a stress test going on right now that most players can't even seem to install. Idiots force deleted the PST version of the game and then forced players to redownload 19gb only to find out it doesn't work. Why they couldn't have just updated the PST version i don't understand.

its going to be a toss up for me once WoT get AW style artillery. I find AW to have much less RNG bullshit than WoT but it still has a terrible grind either way. the forums for PST have been telling Obsidion to lower the grind but i don't think they will listen. that would totally help it out again wargaming's offerings. Like WoT its easy until you get to T4 and then it just sucks and the money gathering is also broken in higher tiers. Its almost impossible to make a profit in T6 and above. I wish they would just do away with repair and rearm altogether like MWO did so many moons ago. really just a mechanic to make it take longer to move up so that you spend some real money to do it faster.

Last edited:
I am still playing this game , in-game name is Loky911 . Add me we can platoon. Usually getting 1-3 kills a game. ATM have up to tier 3

I'll be trying out the open beta on Thursday. Not sure why but it just seems like something to mix up my current game rotation a bit.

Back