ARMA II - Dayz Mod

I just tried it tonight. Buggiest piece of shit I've ever played (largely due to ArmA 2's atrocious engine), but the concept is neat.

I just tried it tonight. Buggiest piece of shit I've ever played (largely due to ArmA 2's atrocious engine), but the concept is neat.

Well, it is an ALPHA.

And the ArmA 2 engine has to do way more than pretty much any other FPS I can think of.

Been wanting to play it for a long time now. Only have ARMA II though, and need to get arrowhead/CO for this. How are they both still so expensive so long after release.

Been wanting to play it for a long time now. Only have ARMA II though, and need to get arrowhead/CO for this. How are they both still so expensive so long after release.

Paid $11 for both over a year ago. Wait for another sale.

I think I read that the single guy working on this never meant this to take off the way it did. He even admits to it being so buggy and that he just put it out there to test so he could put out a better, working version later, but it just took off like crazy. Threw ARMA:CO into the top 10 of steam, was number 3 yesterday for a short time. Pretty crazy for a 3 year old game that is as hardcore as it is. There's also talk about moving to ARMA 3 engine and possibly making it a stand alone game.

I've been playing this over the weekend - best zombie survival game i've played yet! It's tough in the fact that you can't trust anybody and the zombie runners are tricky to hit accurately. What makes it even tougher is gathering enough supplies (bandages, painkillers, plasma, food, water) to survive successfully.

It's a very impressive home-made mod from one of the BIS devs, i don't think anyone expected it's popularity to go through the roof!

I tried to give it a go on Friday but had real trouble finding a server with any open slots. I got into one server long enough to verify that the game worked (and that my monitor was totally black @night except for the moon, had to crank gamma to see anything at all) but then I got kicked and couldn't get into another server.

looks intense. I'd like to try ti but yea I saw a video of it today. Looks a tad buggy and such. I'm sure they will iron that out over time.

el_mas_vendido_arma_1_lugar.jpg

No.1 top seller! Get in there Arma 2!

I'm surprised at the response from this mod. It's like ArmA 2 exploded all of a sudden (and the game is like 4 years old, lol). Odd how stuff like ACE, which is incredibly polished and robust, doesn't draw as many people in but you release a zombie-related buggy alpha and BOOM.

Zombies=cool
Combat sims=No instant gratification

Todays maintream gamer crowd only wants instant gratification. If they have to wait more that 2 min to fire a gun or acheive a objective. then in their mind its boring or to complex.

Zombies=cool
Combat sims=No instant gratification

Todays maintream gamer crowd only wants instant gratification. If they have to wait more that 2 min to fire a gun or acheive a objective. then in their mind its boring or to complex.

I agree, except, ironically, most of your time in DayZ is spent wandering around looking for food/water/ammo and most of the time you want to avoid zombies/other people.

So much fun. I was stuck playing last night and wondered into a town. I snuck into a building and started searching for supplies. A huge gun fight broke out on the second story and I ducked for cover and hid. After about 15seconds everything went silent. After waiting 5 minutes and listening intently for movement I crawled upstairs and looted a room of 4 bodies. Then I got shot in the back. SOB!

The game is intense. I wish people weren't so kill happy. I just wanted a can of beans and some road flares so I could see what I was doing.

So much fun. I was stuck playing last night and wondered into a town. I snuck into a building and started searching for supplies. A huge gun fight broke out on the second story and I ducked for cover and hid. After about 15seconds everything went silent. After waiting 5 minutes and listening intently for movement I crawled upstairs and looted a room of 4 bodies. Then I got shot in the back. SOB!

The game is intense. I wish people weren't so kill happy. I just wanted a can of beans and some road flares so I could see what I was doing.

Yeah, the main problem right now is people PKing just for the sake of PKing. It makes sense if you are a bandit trying to get supplies, but some people just do it for no apparent reason and it makes it pretty shitty.

I got with a group of friends and it was pretty fun, though it sucks if you spawn across the entire map from your group and have to spend an hour or more just trying to meet up.

Man you PK criers are so Fckin annoying. your as bad as the people in zargabad life mod that cry all day and want comp when some one pk's them.

Your playin a game that involves guns and a constantly dwindling supply of goods, what do you think is going to happen.

If I see some one and they ask, "are you friendly: I say, "yes, then walk over and shoot them in the back." Its their own fault for trusting a stranger. If there was a real zombie apocalypse would you trust any one you the bumped into.

Edit: If you dont like pking go play L4D

Zargabad Life is a piece of shit, as are most (not all) of the admins that run those servers. So that's not really helping your case.

Also you sound like a complete asshole.

(obligatory :p)

I love when the "if it was REAL" arguments get throw in for games. If an apocolypse were real, chances are you wouldn't have been one that survived.

PK'ing for the sake of PK'ing is annoying. Spawn killing is the same thing. I'm curious to know how much fun you get when you just die every time you spawn into the map. I'm sure you're just tickled to death when it happens.

Ever notice how Monopoly is only "just a game" when you're the one with all the hotels but to everyone else you're just a dick.

On topic though - I've watched some videos of the mod and with a nice backlog of games I'm going to wait for a less buggy version to be released. Maybe by then, the hype will decrease and the difficulty will weed out the ones so inclined just to grief for the hell of it.

I love when the "if it was REAL" arguments get throw in for games. If an apocolypse were real, chances are you wouldn't have been one that survived.

PK'ing for the sake of PK'ing is annoying. Spawn killing is the same thing. I'm curious to know how much fun you get when you just die every time you spawn into the map. I'm sure you're just tickled to death when it happens.

Ever notice how Monopoly is only "just a game" when you're the one with all the hotels but to everyone else you're just a dick.

On topic though - I've watched some videos of the mod and with a nice backlog of games I'm going to wait for a less buggy version to be released. Maybe by then, the hype will decrease and the difficulty will weed out the ones so inclined just to grief for the hell of it.

Agreed. The thing is, PKers that just PK for no reason are doing it for fun, sure, but it's at everyone else's expense. That makes them assholes.

Also, if you don't currently own either A2 or OA and would only be buying for this mod, I would recommend waiting as well. It will only get less buggy/more polished and I'm sure this summer there will be some lowered prices on these games (they seem to have jumped up a bit due to the DayZ release)

I wasn't crying about PKing at all. I played on Darktide in Ashron's Call. That is a FFA pk server with no safe zones. Even then you didn't kill everything on site. I'm fine with people pking me. I just hope for their sake they have enough rounds to survive. Whining and being frustrated are to different things. It is frustrating because you spent 3 hours in a game world and lost everything. Its part of the game and a part I enjoy. I'll make sure next time I sing a fucking song in a frap video before I respawn just for you.

Man you PK criers are so Fckin annoying. your as bad as the people in zargabad life mod that cry all day and want comp when some one pk's them.

Your playin a game that involves guns and a constantly dwindling supply of goods, what do you think is going to happen.

If I see some one and they ask, "are you friendly: I say, "yes, then walk over and shoot them in the back." Its their own fault for trusting a stranger. If there was a real zombie apocalypse would you trust any one you the bumped into.

Edit: If you dont like pking go play L4D

L4D is a pretty poor example considering that about four minutes after launch it turned into nothing but TKing griefers.

I believe this has the potential to be the biggest mod since DOTA. It is such a brilliant concept and if the developers can get it working well then it could become its own beast completely.

Also, what's funny is how many people are bitching about the ArmA 2 engine, but without it there is no way this would be possible on any other engine.

PKing is just part of the game, but what it boils down to is that forming friendships with good players will increase survivability so while it's a risk trusting someone, ultimately those who just PK all the time are going to eventually back themselves into a corner where they've made enemies of everyone and make their own life harder.

Just make note of the PKers name and move on, add him to your KOS list, that players next spawn becomes a resource for you as you get all his stuff when you shoot him next time you meet.

I'm surprised at the response from this mod. It's like ArmA 2 exploded all of a sudden (and the game is like 4 years old, lol). Odd how stuff like ACE, which is incredibly polished and robust, doesn't draw as many people in but you release a zombie-related buggy alpha and BOOM.

the sad part is that no one will actually play the original game, which is a great game, but yea takes some brain power to play.

Also, what's funny is how many people are bitching about the ArmA 2 engine, but without it there is no way this would be possible on any other engine.

All about the concept/gameplay.

Think about it....this is the first time anyone released a game like this. IT reminds me of the original CS back in the day.

It drove up HL2 sales....Just like DayZ is doing.

This goes to show you, that all these devs who put millions of dollars into games that flop....Dont know what people really want.

I kind of have an urge to bust out STALKER and finally play it after seeing this mod. I bought all three games a while back and they're been sitting in my backlog because I've been too lazy to download the Complete mod.

A little something to tide me over while I wait for a sale on ArmA II or ArmA X. I'm not sure if I can justify buying a $30 game that I might not like just for a mod that's in alpha. Then again, I do play flight sims and tactical shooters like the original GR, so there's also the off chance I might like the base game.

I kind of have an urge to bust out STALKER and finally play it after seeing this mod. I bought all three games a while back and they're been sitting in my backlog because I've been too lazy to download the Complete mod.

A little something to tide me over while I wait for a sale on ArmA II or ArmA X. I'm not sure if I can justify buying a $30 game that I might not like just for a mod that's in alpha. Then again, I do play flight sims and tactical shooters like the original GR, so there's also the off chance I might like the base game.

You Could always wait for arma 3 to come out this summer the devs said there is already working dayz mod for it. Also Stalker is one of the best games ever so have fun.

This looks like a lot of fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOdcItXs3A

I played by myself for about 30 minutes yesterday and was mostly filled with running through the woods. I need to figure out how to pull up the map. I eventually found a few buildings where I killed a few zombies and eventually ran out of ammo and got ate by zombies lol.

This game would be tons of fun with a few mates and a few spare hours. Once all the bugs/textures/animations are fixed, it will be even more fun.

I hate to break it to you but this is arma, bugs and crappy animations are part of the game, you just have to live with them. If you can live with the bugs and other issues, then your going to have a blast, if you cant the its probably not the game fore you.

Name another engine that can handle the amount of players/AI/vehicles on a seamless 100 km^2 environment.

All about the concept/gameplay.

Think about it....this is the first time anyone released a game like this. IT reminds me of the original CS back in the day.

It drove up HL2 sales....Just like DayZ is doing.

This goes to show you, that all these devs who put millions of dollars into games that flop....Dont know what people really want.

ArmA 2 wasn't designed to be a mainstream shooter. It's always been a somewhat niche community who enjoys milsim and realism. Plus, saying the sales went up fivefold is not that impressive considering the game is 4 years old. I think it's great for the game, not necessarily so great for the community (since now all we hear about is PKers, people who bitch constantly about the mechanics of the engine, etc), but will help Bohemia put more time/money into ArmA 3, which is my most anticipated game right now.

It's not "the devs don't know what people want", it's "the game was meant for a different purpose, and it fullfilled that purpose well, but now the community is taking it and doing something different". Which is great, but like I said, it is bringing a lot of players into a game engine that they do not understand or appreciate for what it is because of some alpha-level mod.

Also you mean HL, not HL2. :cool:

I hate to break it to you but this is arma, bugs and crappy animations are part of the game, you just have to live with them. If you can live with the bugs and other issues, then your going to have a blast, if you cant the its probably not the game fore you.

Putting it bluntly, yes, that is exactly right. My guess is that a lot of the community will die down when they realize that these things aren't going to change much.

I played by myself for about 30 minutes yesterday and was mostly filled with running through the woods. I need to figure out how to pull up the map. I eventually found a few buildings where I killed a few zombies and eventually ran out of ammo and got ate by zombies lol.

This game would be tons of fun with a few mates and a few spare hours. Once all the bugs/textures/animations are fixed, it will be even more fun.

You have to actually find a map item first, but it's just "M" to bring it up once you do.

And as previously stated, don't bank on the textures and animations being fixed. Those are ArmA 2 standard and pretty much an engine limitation.

A watch isn't nearly as special as a compass and/or map. :cool:

You can look in the sky and tell what time it is more or less. :D

I haven't played in awhile but I found a watch, compass, and map, yet no rifle-type weapon. Lulz.

I did find a M1911 with like 3 mags, though. And a shit-ton of bandages.

Agreed. The thing is, PKers that just PK for no reason are doing it for fun, sure, but it's at everyone else's expense. That makes them assholes.

Also, if you don't currently own either A2 or OA and would only be buying for this mod, I would recommend waiting as well. It will only get less buggy/more polished and I'm sure this summer there will be some lowered prices on these games (they seem to have jumped up a bit due to the DayZ release)

This is exactly the type of game that people will do that it. Janky, unintuitive mechanics and, let's face it, potentially boring gameplay will lead people who get roped in by the hype to get their jollies off being dicks.

Back