ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

I played 6 hours of arma3 online this week and I havent gone more then 20min without encountering hackers. Not just aimbotters, but rage hackers that make you go invisible, teleport you around and cover the screen with a banner.

I haven't played in a while, but through the 16 hours I've put in so far, I haven't ever encountered hackers. Too bad if they are starting to emerge now.

I would wait for final (or at least Beta) to judge performance. Right now it's bad but it could improve... I wouldn't be buying any hardware upgrades now based on Alpha performance, that's for sure.

Odd, runs way worse than ArmA 2 for me. *shrug* And that's even on way lower view distance (~2500 or so in ArmA 3 versus 3600 in ArmA 2).

really? i was surprised how good it ran for me. the only time it gets a bit choppy is when i go into the town. but i think it was a game issue, more than bad performance.

For me it's choppy basically any time I look in the main direction of the rest of the island. As if it is rendering EVERYTHING beyond what I can see all at once. Oddly enough, unlike a lot of times in ArmA 2, it actually runs faster when you zoom in on something...kinda just goes towards the hypothesis that it's rendering any and everything in the direction you are looking, extending infinitely from your field of view.

Don't even get me started on the Helicopter showcase...borderline unplayable at 15-20 FPS sometimes.

Does anyone still need some Alpha Lite keys? I still have mine, none of my friends were interested it seems.

I actually tried playing on a server last night with only 3 other people (mission was some small co-op one) and I was getting like 20, maybe 30 FPS at the most the entire time. MP framerates are crazy low...hopefully better dedicated servers will help.

Clearly there will be some optimization as the game proceeds from Alpha to Beta to Release.

I have 580 SLI and found that I was only seeing 30-50% GPU usage at any given moment during the showcases (I assume this is why the helicopter showcase seems choppy). 50% was only one of the peaks, with most of the playing time being much lower than that, so it's clearly not using everything as well as it should.

It's an Alpha though and nobody should be expecting release-level performance right now.

I actually tried playing on a server last night with only 3 other people (mission was some small co-op one) and I was getting like 20, maybe 30 FPS at the most the entire time. MP framerates are crazy low...hopefully better dedicated servers will help.

i think the issue is on your end, its possible A3 has an issue with your hardware. i have been playing with 6 or so friends with rigs at both ends of the spectrum and they have never had abyss major fps issues like you seem to be having.

Clearly there will be some optimization as the game proceeds from Alpha to Beta to Release.

I have 580 SLI and found that I was only seeing 30-50% GPU usage at any given moment during the showcases (I assume this is why the helicopter showcase seems choppy). 50% was only one of the peaks, with most of the playing time being much lower than that, so it's clearly not using everything as well as it should.

It's an Alpha though and nobody should be expecting release-level performance right now.

Yeah, that is the major issue and it's been persistent since ArmA 2 and before, with not a whole lot done to fix it. Pretty much my major beef with BIS right now, they need to get it ironed out before ArmA 3 launches. I don't care if they delay the game further, it needs to be fixed. In ArmA 2 / OA they basically said "it's too much work to fix it in A2/OA so we're not going to". They don't have any excuses now IMO.

i think the issue is on your end, its possible A3 has an issue with your hardware. i have been playing with 6 or so friends with rigs at both ends of the spectrum and they have never had abyss major fps issues like you seem to be having.

Maybe, but such a steep drop from ArmA 2 seems odd, considering I play both.

What settings are your friends using? Because more often than not I'm reading people talking about how they are getting 60+ FPS and they don't understand what people are complaining about, and then when they post their settings they're using like 1000 VD and everything on low/normal.

Thanks to castun, I'm finally in on this (lite version). Been playing a few infantry missions. Liking it so far - not as annoying as I found previous versions.

Kinda brings me back to the Ghost Recon days (pre-Ubisoft-bastardization). Have to get my G13 hooked up.

How is the multiplayer? Aside from co-op and proper missions, are there Red Orchestra like player VS player game modes in this?

I am going to be buying the full version soon, though I am holding out a bit longer. I want to see if GMG or Gamefly sells the Alpha at $33 + 20% off.

I got a few lite keys in my possession if anyone is on the fence about this game. Just shoot me a pm.

I'm still at work for another few hours so sending them may be a bit delayed unless the steam app let's me do it. First ones to pm me gets them.

How is the multiplayer? Aside from co-op and proper missions, are there Red Orchestra like player VS player game modes in this?

I am going to be buying the full version soon, though I am holding out a bit longer. I want to see if GMG or Gamefly sells the Alpha at $33 + 20% off.

I assume there are some PvP missions that are user-made...not sure, I don't really play PvP much.

Don't wait too long to buy...once the game hits Beta (within a couple months?) the price will go up.

Down to 2 lite keys if anyone else is interested. Just shoot me a pm here or on steam.

I've also switched over to the Development build and while I don't have any real numbers, it definitely seems smoother and the game runs great. Seems that the hackers are having a hard time doing what they did to the regular alpha servers so that's a big plus too.

Down to 2 lite keys if anyone else is interested. Just shoot me a pm here or on steam.

I've also switched over to the Development build and while I don't have any real numbers, it definitely seems smoother and the game runs great. Seems that the hackers are having a hard time doing what they did to the regular alpha servers so that's a big plus too.

What were the hackers doing?

Exploiting scripts due to the lack of any anti-cheat programs (battle eye hasn't been implemented yet). From what I read people can basically become mods on servers and screw with people (teleport players, spawn random stuff, do mass server kills etc).

I haven't personally seen or noticed anything because I've been mostly playing around in single player honing my skills and playing around with the editor. I haven't had the time to really get into a good game with people.

Exploiting scripts due to the lack of any anti-cheat programs (battle eye hasn't been implemented yet). From what I read people can basically become mods on servers and screw with people (teleport players, spawn random stuff, do mass server kills etc).

I haven't personally seen or noticed anything because I've been mostly playing around in single player honing my skills and playing around with the editor. I haven't had the time to really get into a good game with people.

There's videos on YouTube of people doing that in Arma2/DayZmod .. probably just a port of the scripts.

Was getting frustrated with the miles of menus there are to control the AI and was looking for a beginners guide or something. I stumbled upon this and it seemed pretty handy. I'm totally going to give this a shot to cut down on the keyboard dancing for squad control. The guy making the videos seems to be actively updating his configuration also so that's an option too.

Voice control using VAC for Ai squadmates

A week ago I would see +500 servers and easily 500 players. On the weekend, I never saw more then 280 servers and I dont think more the 100 players.
Each and every server I joined was buggered with the text "you thought you could get rid of me, tell BIS to fix these holes" - clearly a rage hacker. Whoever it was, looks like they went and buggered server after server.

Was that on the regular alpha build or the development build? Just curious. They are apparently working on fixes that show up in the development build first.

Probably regular build.

And yeah, some asshole(s) has been going around tanking servers with exploits. At some point it was so bad that somehow they were able to hack private locked servers.

BIS's response to hacking went from "it's an alpha, what do you expect" to "we're implementing fixes immediately" literally almost overnight.

Needs some dedicated servers builds out, I'd like to host one soon. I'm not going to buy a whole copy of the game just to put a dedicated server up for it :p

Got one from Nettwerk. Thanks!

I could use an alpha lite code. Would finally like to check out the arma series, might as well look at the latest upcoming one.

PM me please if you have one to spare.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Kinda sad that this thread faded into obscurity, but TBH I haven't been playing the Alpha much. I don't regret buying it at all, but there's not a lot of content yet and most of the bugs they've been ironing out have been scripting stuff that mainly only mission editors care about, so for me the only real bug is "it runs kinda bad", which is something they may or may not fix (at least they are aware of the issue after 1000+ votes on the issue tracker and a huge thread, though).

Waiting for Beta to take another good look at it, and I will for sure play it a ton when it's finally released.

give the smatra wasteland a try. I think C4G hosts a server.

WHOO....haven't played this much due to feeling like a massive lack of content compared to ArmA 2 (which I guess is to be expected), and the community has been a little slow to adopt it over ArmA 2 it seems.

Back