Arm Launches New Neoverse N2 and V1 Server CPUs: 1.4x-1.5x IPC, SVE, and ARMv9

juanrga

2[H]4U
https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/4795...d-v1-server-cpus-1-4x-1-5x-ipc-sve-and-armv9/

New cores with better microarchitectures, new instructions (including SVE), and adapted to new process nodes. The N2 is an evolution of the N1 used by Amazon and others. The V1 is a new kind of core optimized for high performance computing.

n2-v1-roadmap-breakdown.png

This is very exciting, and hopefully it will drive down costs of x86-64 systems while increasing the competitive nature of them, at least with AMD.
I can't believe the Cortex-A72 is over half a decade old now, and I thought it was competitive and a major leap forward for its time.

This is very exciting, and hopefully it will drive down costs of x86-64 systems while increasing the competitive nature of them, at least with AMD.
I can't believe the Cortex-A72 is over half a decade old now, and I thought it was competitive and a major leap forward for its time.

It will down costs, but x86-64 cannot really compete in the long run:

Where Ampere and the Altra definitely is beating AMD in is TCO, or total cost of ownership. Taking the flagship models as comparison points – the Q80-33 costs only $4050 which generally matching the performance of AMD’s EPYC 7742 which still comes in at $6950, essentially 42% cheaper.

Check out how well N1 is doing for Amazon!

Neoverse_Intro_10_575px.png

From that article:

117496.png

The fact that it is doing that with only 32MB of L3 cache across 80 cores, which is hardly an optimized design, is absolutely amazing.
Even on the single-threaded benchmarks the Altra Q80-33 is trading blows with the Epyc 7742 and Xeon 8280.

Thanks for sharing, that is great info!

Back