Arm Is RTX ON! World’s Most Widely Used CPU Architecture Meets Real-Time Ray Tracing, DLSS

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/07/19/geforce-rtx-arm-gdc/

A pair of new demos running GeForce RTX technologies on the Arm platform unveiled by NVIDIA today show how advanced graphics can be extended to a broader, more power-efficient set of devices.

Still1-1280x720.jpg

Interestingly it's running on Arch Linux just like Valves upcoming handheld 'Steam Deck'.

It's good to see NVidia's partnership with MediaTek getting somewhere.

In regards to Arch Linux, I do believe that is the base on which ChromeOS was developed and as the NVidia / MediaTek partnership was intended to bring viable AAA gaming to the ChromeOS platform that would be the logical place to start their efforts.

It's good to see NVidia's partnership with MediaTek getting somewhere.

In regards to Arch Linux, I do believe that is the base on which ChromeOS was developed and as the NVidia / MediaTek partnership was intended to bring viable AAA gaming to the ChromeOS platform that would be the logical place to start their efforts.

I thought ChromeOS was Gentoo linux ?
Apparently valve are aiming for getting steam running on Chromebooks. And there is talk of a more powerful ChromeBook coming out which is intended for gaming. So there does seem to be a convergence on opensource gaming from Nvidia/Valve/AMD. Maybe they can smell the inevtible push for cloud Windows 365 + cloud gaming and are making sure they still have a market to operate in.

I thought ChromeOS was Gentoo linux ?
Apparently valve are aiming for getting steam running on Chromebooks. And there is talk of a more powerful ChromeBook coming out which is intended for gaming. So there does seem to be a convergence on opensource gaming from Nvidia/Valve/AMD. Maybe they can smell the inevtible push for cloud Windows 365 + cloud gaming and are making sure they still have a market to operate in.
Initially it was Ubuntu, then Gentoo in 2010, then they switched it again in 2013 to something else they cooked up which based on other things was probably Arch based but as of now is pretty proprietary. But Arch from my understanding is one of the “easier” Linux distro’s to get working on ChromeOS hardware at this stage.

Interestingly it's running on Arch Linux just like Valves upcoming handheld 'Steam Deck'.
Yea except I'm more excited for the Ryzen APU than Nvidia's ARM based SoC. Can we not get APU's with Vega graphics anymore? Besides we know this Nvidia SoC will end up in the Nintendo Switch Pro. Also why is it that Wolfenstein Youngblood is used to demo this? Can't they find a good game to show this off with?

Yea except I'm more excited for the Ryzen APU than Nvidia's ARM based SoC. Can we not get APU's with Vega graphics anymore? Besides we know this Nvidia SoC will end up in the Nintendo Switch Pro. Also why is it that Wolfenstein Youngblood is used to demo this? Can't they find a good game to show this off with?
I’m not happy with the AMD APU’s at this stage, they need to ditch Vega. But if their yields on the consoles is any indication then I think that there are some fundamental challenges melding the RDNA 2 and Zen 3 architectures.
The new Samsung Exynos 2200 does give me some hope it crushes the A14 on the graphics side which is expected. But I need to see more there because the 2200 has a mobile and a laptop variant and the “leaked” numbers don’t say which variant was compared so for all I know it’s the 2200 laptop vs A14 mobile specs in which case it would need to be compared to the M1 instead.
As for Youngblood, there are some contracts there that require NVidia to mention it in a lot of slides and shows.

I’m not happy with the AMD APU’s at this stage, they need to ditch Vega. But if their yields on the consoles is any indication then I think that there are some fundamental challenges melding the RDNA 2 and Zen 3 architectures.
The new Samsung Exynos 2200 does give me some hope it crushes the A14 on the graphics side which is expected. But I need to see more there because the 2200 has a mobile and a laptop variant and the “leaked” numbers don’t say which variant was compared so for all I know it’s the 2200 laptop vs A14 mobile specs in which case it would need to be compared to the M1 instead.
As for Youngblood, there are some contracts there that require NVidia to mention it in a lot of slides and shows.
Xbox has an RDNA2 APU. Steamdeck has an RDNA2 APU. PS5 is missing a couple of RDNA2 features, but that seems mostly to do with Sony customizing a slightly different direction, rather than just accepting whatever AMD had ready.

All mated to Zen 2, however. But I don't think its due to "difficulty". I think its due to cost------Sony, MS, and Valve all trying to keep costs down.

Xbox has an RDNA2 APU. Steamdeck has an RDNA2 APU. PS5 is missing a couple of RDNA2 features, but that seems mostly to do with Sony customizing a slightly different direction, rather than just accepting whatever AMD had ready.

All mated to Zen 2, however. But I don't think its due to "difficulty". I think its due to cost------Sony, MS, and Valve all trying to keep costs down.
Microsoft and Sony both said that "lower than expected yields" were the cause of their lower than projected console sales in their investor meetings, both those are Zen 3 + RDNA 2 platforms.

Steamdeck is Zen 2 + RDNA 2, which because of how the cache is used in Zen 2 probably makes it easier to integrate with RDNA 2 and as the valve marketing slides say "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance" because the Zen 2 does well at lower core counts compared to Zen 3 especially in GPU bound scenarios which is where you are going to find yourself more than not on the Steamdeck even at the 1280x800 resolution the handheld uses.

Though with Steamdeck using Arch I very much want to know what AMD has going on there for their Linux drivers because last I checked RDNA 2 and Linux weren't doing that great together, so if that has since changed then awesome!
EDIT:
I done did misread the AMD announcement on the PS5 and XBX and thought them to be Zen 3 when they are in fact Zen 2, which overall makes me even more confused as to why AMD keeps using the Vega architecture in its APU chips.

"AMD says its PS5 and Xbox Series X chips, Zen 3 CPUs, and RDNA 2 GPUs will ship on time"

I missed the comma there between chips and Zen 3. So reading fail..

Last edited:
Microsoft and Sony both said that "lower than expected yields" were the cause of their lower than projected console sales in their investor meetings, both those are Zen 3 + RDNA 2 platforms.

Steamdeck is Zen 2 + RDNA 2, which because of how the cache is used in Zen 2 probably makes it easier to integrate with RDNA 2 and as the valve marketing slides say "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance" because the Zen 2 does well at lower core counts compared to Zen 3 especially in GPU bound scenarios which is where you are going to find yourself more than not on the Steamdeck even at the 1280x800 resolution the handheld uses.

Though with Steamdeck using Arch I very much want to know what AMD has going on there for their Linux drivers because last I checked RDNA 2 and Linux weren't doing that great together, so if that has since changed then awesome!
XSX and PS5 are not Zen 3

Linux adoption for gaming is getting better, but does Proton not only the conversion from Windows to Linux but also handle changing target arch from x86 to ARM?

AAA titles on linux-x86 has been a long time coming, now do devs have to support linux-arm as well?

Linux adoption for gaming is getting better, but does Proton not only the conversion from Windows to Linux but also handle changing target arch from x86 to ARM?

AAA titles on linux-x86 has been a long time coming, now do devs have to support linux-arm as well?
Honestly, Linux Arm is in a pretty good place thanks mostly to Google and their abundance of cheap ChromeOS devices out there. Not for AAA gaming of course but stability driver wise there isn't too much to complain about unless you get into specifics like WiFi controllers and such. Valve has been doing a bunch to help the games move to Linux but I really think it's going to be the NVidia / MediaTek partnership that drives it home. Their combined ability to get something built for the masses and distribute it to India, China, & Europe would go a long way to making capable hardware commonplace and that is a big step 1. It's one thing to sell gaming hardware to gamers, but it is another to sell productivity & education tools that can also handle gaming, and doing the latter tends to be better for this sort of mass adoption.

It's about time they announce a Tegra X1 successor. It was already getting old when the Switch launched with it. But I'm just as interested in seeing if they update the Shield TV with it now. 3060 level performance on a Shield TV wouldn't put it too far behind the current gen consoles, though I wonder how far behind (if at all) the x86 Zen 2 cores this ARM CPU will be in terms of raw performance.

My only question: Will it run Zelda BOTW at 60FPS in at least 1080P?

I wonder if Nintendo could integrate something like a 3060 into their dock and still have it seamlessly switch to handheld.

Last edited:
My only question: Will it run Zelda BOTW at 60FPS in at least 1080P?
Considering the Tegra X1 from 6 years ago can do it at 900p at 30 FPS, I would hope this new architecture would be far past the 2.5x performance improvement it would take to run it at 1080/60. I would expect it to run it at 4k/60 with with any DLSS up-scaling at least.

2022 is going to be a very interesting year for gaming.

The dream of Linux desktops are not quite dead. ARM gaming machines are going to be a real thing....

and for those that don't know what is going on with Microsoft. Windows 11 is going to be all about relaunching Windows ARM Trying to make windows 10 ARM was going to lack the needed marketing sparkle.... if they don't nail it and get people wanting win11 on their arm stuff. Well it will be bad for MS on the consumer OS end of things if they can't get they hype train out of the station. Valve... Nvidia... Google. They are all coming for MS consumer cookies. 2022 we are going to see SteamOS relaunched and probably instantly have a larger install base then any other consumer Linux not counting chrome. We are also likely to see gaming chromebooks (if not some Nvidia distro... or SteamOS NV/M tek stuff)... complete with a ton of NV marketing money behind them. (I am sure its not a coincidence that SteamOS is rebased on Arch and NV is showing things off running on arch, I LOVE arch but that can't be a coincidence) I have a feeling some interesting announcements from valve are still to come. I just really really hope SteamOS Arch goes a few steps further then SteamOS debian. If Valve properly supports a DE as well... they could have the makings of an actual honest to goodness windows replacement. If SteamOS becomes a well maintained Arch distro and not just a game lobby.... that is exciting.

Last edited:
2022 is going to be a very interesting year for gaming.
I doubt that. I believe the economy is going to get worse in 2022 and that means nobody has money to buy things like video games.
The dream of Linux desktops are not quite dead.
Anyone who thought it was, doesn't use Linux daily. Valve has single handed made Linux not suck. They're the reason why Intel drivers have Vulkan. They're the reason why AMD has the RADV Vulkan driver and ACO. They made Wine suck less with Proton. They contribute lots of stuff all the time to the Linux kernel and for what? Gabe Newell feels charitable?
ARM gaming machines are going to be a real thing....
ARM gaming machines were a thing like forever. The 3DO used ARM. The Gameboy Advance and successors all used ARM. The Sony Vita used ARM. Now the Nintendo Switch uses ARM. So ARM and video gaming machines have been a thing for a very long time. Now if you mean a PC type of gaming hardware with ARM then no. That won't happen without Valve backing it. Anyone who makes an ARM device will push for a closed ecosystem. So if you're hoping to use a powerful ARM SoC to download emulators and homebrew without hacking it then forget it. All future ARM based video game products are going to be game consoles or at least have a closed ecosystem where you can't sideload.

ChromeOS is getting Steam later this year, so it could also be a push for Nvidia to get on Chromebooks.

Things looking very interesting for Linux in 2022.
It's getting Steam because it's basically Linux with a shitty web browser that it forces you to use. I actually did replace ChromeOS with Linux Mint 20 and I did this because support ended and someone made a UEFI BIOS for the laptop. Now I can properly use Linux and install a proper Firefox. ChromeOS has Linux so long as you enjoy doing everything through the web browser, including terminal. ChromeOS won't let you install a proper version of Firefox. You have to jump through hoops to install the Android version. It's kinda shit.

Your right on ARM... I should have said AAA gaming is about to get ARM support. Game publishers are not going to give up on Mac... and Nvidia is not going to give up trying to be come Uber Nvidia. lol

On chromeOS we are agreed that it is pretty stripped down and limiting compared to anything we all think of as a desktop OS. For the masses though... it has its place and for the type of people that used to call us every time their desktop hicupped are fine with Chrome. I have been saying for a few years though. Don't be fooled by Googles crap book designs. Long term Google is planning to completely replace MS in the consumer space if they can. If chromebooks tried to gaming before now it would have been a disaster... pretty much the same goes for running a lot of stuff locally. Google focused on what they could pull off. With Gaming comes local storage... and with game publishers likely starting to at least seriously consider supporting Linux, and even ARM. Chromebooks are about to start evolving into proper windows replacement machines, and Mac alternatives.

Of course good chance google Fs it up... but I am pretty sure they are going to try and disrupt things, if NV gets any traction.

Your right on ARM... I should have said AAA gaming is about to get ARM support.
Is the Nintendo Switch not a AAA gaming machine? ARM is not going to get PS5 and Xbox Series X levels of AAA games unless Sony or Microsoft put support behind it.
Game publishers are not going to give up on Mac...
There are games on the Mac?
and Nvidia is not going to give up trying to be come Uber Nvidia. lol
Good luck to them. When Intel starts to make GPU's then that's when the shit hits the fan.
On chromeOS we are agreed that it is pretty stripped down and limiting compared to anything we all think of as a desktop OS. For the masses though... it has its place and for the type of people that used to call us every time their desktop hicupped are fine with Chrome. I have been saying for a few years though. Don't be fooled by Googles crap book designs. Long term Google is planning to completely replace MS in the consumer space if they can. If chromebooks tried to gaming before now it would have been a disaster... pretty much the same goes for running a lot of stuff locally. Google focused on what they could pull off. With Gaming comes local storage... and with game publishers likely starting to at least seriously consider supporting Linux, and even ARM. Chromebooks are about to start evolving into proper windows replacement machines, and Mac alternatives.
The whole point of ChromeOS is that everything you do is through the web browser. Which made sense at first since most activities people need are done through the web browser. Now that ChromeOS is expanding, the idea of running everything through the web browser gets stupid fast. That means the Chrome web browser is now a UI... a really shit UI. I'm sure at some point Google will run applications outside of the web browser for performance reasons, but that means they'll have to start making a real Linux distro. Which they should have done from the start.
Of course good chance google Fs it up... but I am pretty sure they are going to try and disrupt things, if NV gets any traction.
As soon as people realize that Google is doing bullshit with their data. The only reason people buy ChromeBooks is because they're cheap. Not good, just cheap.

No.

No the switch is not AAA gaming. Its a Nintendo machine which is a thing on to itself. Its not unpopular its just not AAA gaming no. The Deck will get whatever the PC gets... which is mostly everything. Exclusives aren't really what they used to be. Even Sony is running a streaming service. If Valve moves enough decks Sony will likely publish a Linux version of their PC app as well.... you can stream from everything. They have also been releasing PC versions of their games... delayed perhaps but they are hitting PC.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Sony-HID-PlayStation-PS5 A lot of gaming companies have been all of a sudden bringing up Linux support for things like controllers... just saying. PS5 controllers should pair with the deck just fine. When this happened in December their was a lot of confusion in the Linux community... why is Sony adding FULL and complete PS5 controller support to the Kernel. My guess the people in the know in the gaming industry know there is a new Linux push coming. SteamOS isn't going to be just on the deck... the deck is just what Valve themselves are going to be selling. Keep an eye out for those MediaTek/Nvidia powered laptops as well.... machines that can play Windows PC games via Steam, stream from Nvidia, and Sony. The gaming Chromebooks... I don't know if Nvidia would really bet the farm on those. (if NV wasn't showing things off on Arch Linux... I would assume they where behind the chromebook push... but arch linux is just to small and obscure for both steam and nvidia to decide independently to use it)

On ChromeOS we can agree to disagree. IMO if they tried to make ChromeOS a full fledged Linux DE from the start it would have failed hard... as most Linux plays had in the past. Ask Corel how well it goes trying to replace windows. Google set an expectation.... it ran over the web an experience they could control, they didn't try and sell top of the line hardware (for the most part) people didn't buy them expecting to replace their windows and mac machines. If they had tried to as much as I hate it Linux consumer end user warts would have sunk the ship. I am not saying I'm convinced ChromeOS is the future or anything either... Google could well fall on their face trying to expand ChromeOS. I think things are lining up though if Google doesn't self immolate. The Hardware to make something happen in a big way is starting to take shape. At the end of the day I hope your right and most people say no thanks to Google and their data mine... but if we are being honest Microsoft is just as big a data abuser. Apple as much as they are Apple are the only company that have actually been pro consumer in regards to data... to the point of Tim telling Zuck to change his business model cause it was bad. YET.... I don't see everyone switching. So it seems most people don't care that their OS and browsers are tracking their every move. I hope Valve has learned from old SteamOS and have built a full fledged KDE desktop running SteamOS... perhaps it can be the secure non spying OS we need. (that is a big wish I know)

Last edited:
As much as I like Linux, if Google had launched a full Linux desktop it would have flopped. Using the kernel and making the user experience easy is key for the mainstream.

I mean, Android is the most popular OS on the planet, but all the real Linux mobile phones have never got off the ground (for a variety of reasons). It takes a big company with a focus on UI and UX to delivery something people feel comfortable to use.

Full Linux desktop is a lifestyle choice for uber-nerds. Average people just want to scroll on Twitter and not deal with obscure problems, and incompatibilities, and sifting through years old Github issues typing random stuff in the command line.

So, yeah, I am excited to see what the Steam Deck does, or if Google pushes for more real Linux on ChromeOS, or whatever Nvidia is cooking up here. That's the only way to move the needle.

No the switch is not AAA gaming. Its a Nintendo machine which is a thing on to itself. Its not unpopular its just not AAA gaming no.
The Switch is a AAA gaming machine, but it's really weak. To give you an idea how weak it is you can emulate it with a relatively modern PC with just two CPU cores and four threads. Almost any GPU with Vulkan support will do. That's just Nintendo for the past 15 years. If the game works on the Switch then it gets a port. If it doesn't then have fun playing on the cloud.
Exclusives aren't really what they used to be.
I still want Bloodborne on PC.
Even Sony is running a streaming service.
And I hear it's terrible.
If Valve moves enough decks Sony will likely publish a Linux version of their PC app as well.... you can stream from everything.
Nobody cares to play cloud gaming. Most of these services suck. Port the games not the service. Don't and watch as a PS4 emulator will emerge and make the whole cloud service more pointless.

They have also been releasing PC versions of their games... delayed perhaps but they are hitting PC.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Sony-HID-PlayStation-PS5
This I like, please Sony do more of this.
PS5 controllers should pair with the deck just fine. When this happened in December their was a lot of confusion in the Linux community... why is Sony adding FULL and complete PS5 controller support to the Kernel. My guess the people in the know in the gaming industry know there is a new Linux push coming.
That's fine and when a PS4 emulator is created I can use this to play PS4 games. Though I still prefer a keyboard and mouse. Fun fact, the current PS4 emulators are only running on Linux due to virtualization. So PS4 emulators are less emulators and more like virtual machines.

SteamOS isn't going to be just on the deck... the deck is just what Valve themselves are going to be selling. Keep an eye out for those MediaTek/Nvidia powered laptops as well.... machines that can play Windows PC games via Steam, stream from Nvidia, and Sony. The gaming Chromebooks... I don't know if Nvidia would really bet the farm on those. (if NV wasn't showing things off on Arch Linux... I would assume they where behind the chromebook push... but arch linux is just to small and obscure for both steam and nvidia to decide independently to use it)
Yea those machines will suck and if Nvidia does push for streaming then it'll suck more. If I'm in the market for a portable device then I can't be bothered with a constant internet connection. Just me driving from NJ to upstate NY for a few hours I lose connection all the time. T-Mobile just doesn't have good coverage up there. Just watching YouTube videos along the drive will eat up my high speed data. This is less of a problem for a Laptop because I expect to be sitting on a desk or a couch while using it, but not something like the Nintendo Switch or Valve Deck. This was done before with the Nvidia Shield so why would it work now? Keep in mind that Nvidia's game streaming service is not new, and at least Gamers Nexus doesn't have the memory of a gold fish as they remember that it was called Grid.
On ChromeOS we can agree to disagree. IMO if they tried to make ChromeOS a full fledged Linux DE from the start it would have failed hard... as most Linux plays had in the past.
Yea if Google does what every other distro does, which is basically take pieces and put them together. Lets say Google takes Arch and then incorporates KDE for a UI and calls it a day. That wouldn't work, but if Google is loosely based on some distro and makes their own UI and package manager then that would work better. That's what they did with ChromeOS but their UI is a fucking web browser and their package manager is none of your business. It works because ChromeOS is free and most Chromebooks are dirt cheap garbage that most people can afford. That doesn't make it good it just makes it affordable.
At the end of the day I hope your right and most people say no thanks to Google and their data mine... but if we are being honest Microsoft is just as big a data abuser.
I did not say that's what people will do, it's what smart people would do. Most people aren't smart and therefore most people will continue to buy Chromebooks because most people are broke.
Apple as much as they are Apple are the only company that have actually been pro consumer in regards to data... to the point of Tim telling Zuck to change his business model cause it was bad.
No Apple isn't. Who told you that Apple cares about your data? Apple wants to be like Google and target ads to you. How you think they're doing that?

YET.... I don't see everyone switching. So it seems most people don't care that their OS and browsers are tracking their every move.
What they don't know doesn't hurt your business model. Even if they know, they will think it's for the greater good.
I hope Valve has learned from old SteamOS and have built a full fledged KDE desktop running SteamOS... perhaps it can be the secure non spying OS we need. (that is a big wish I know)
The main point of failure for the Deck is if people can't play their Steam games on it. Lots of Windows games still give people issues on Linux, so Valve really needs to work hard to get these games working perfectly. Valve's agenda isn't to get you into their walled garden like Sony, Microsoft, and Apple, but to get you to install and use Steam. Last I remember Valve isn't a publicly traded company so Valve doesn't run their business efficiently like one would. In fact Valve wastes a lot of money on failed projects or projects that go slowly. It seems whoever is running Valve isn't concerned about the bottom line. Which is great for us otherwise we'd never get something like the Deck. You don't see Valve pushing for shit cloud gaming like Sony, or Microsoft who is finally embracing PC gaming by extending their Xbox platform to it, but we all know how Microsoft will extinguish it. There's a stark contrast in how the Nintendo Switch works compared to the Steam Deck. One lets you run Nintendo games bought from them only, while Valve will even let you install Epic and Origin onto the Deck. That's everyone's business model in that they want to lock you in. Apple does it, Sony does it, Microsoft is definitely doing it, Nintendo will sue your ass and your boss, but not Valve.

Last edited:
hope Valve has learned from old SteamOS and have built a full fledged KDE desktop running SteamOS... perhaps it can be the secure non spying OS we need. (that is a big wish I know)
That is exactly what the Steam Deck is when you connect to a dock at least.

1626841598411.png

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Considering the Tegra X1 from 6 years ago can do it at 900p at 30 FPS, I would hope this new architecture would be far past the 2.5x performance improvement it would take to run it at 1080/60. I would expect it to run it at 4k/60 with with any DLSS up-scaling at least.

Never underestimate Nintendo's ability to mess this up.

As much as I like Linux, if Google had launched a full Linux desktop it would have flopped. Using the kernel and making the user experience easy is key for the mainstream.

I mean, Android is the most popular OS on the planet, but all the real Linux mobile phones have never got off the ground (for a variety of reasons). It takes a big company with a focus on UI and UX to delivery something people feel comfortable to use.

Full Linux desktop is a lifestyle choice for uber-nerds. Average people just want to scroll on Twitter and not deal with obscure problems, and incompatibilities, and sifting through years old Github issues typing random stuff in the command line.

So, yeah, I am excited to see what the Steam Deck does, or if Google pushes for more real Linux on ChromeOS, or whatever Nvidia is cooking up here. That's the only way to move the needle.
I don't know that Steam Deck will move the needle much for Linux, really. There just won't be enough units sold. Valve was quoting delivery windows well into 2022 soon after pre-orders started. That tells me it wasn't expecting millions of orders. Most likely, the Deck will please a fair number of enthusiasts... and not many other people.

Most likely, things will continue as you described: the only way Linux will make significant inroads in the mainstream is by... well, hiding the Linuxness. Android and Chrome OS have done well precisely because they're uncomplicated. And if someone is willing to handle more complexity on the desktop, they're probably going to buy a Windows PC or Mac, since those are both easier to find and better supported than Linux.

List of games running on the M1 line, either natively or through Rosetta. There are more out there, and while it is not amazing gameplay, I am still impressed what they were able to accomplish.

I like how they list iOS games as native. I also like how they list World of Warcraft eight times, just to prove their point. The overwhelming majority of the games on that list are from Steam running Rosetta 2. Why are they listing Team Fortress 2 as running on CrossOver? Wasn't that ported to Mac? At the very least it should just need to run Rosetta 2. If they're running it through CrossOver then that means they're using the Windows version.

Going by that list I see...
Dancing Line yes Mac App Store Native
endless space 2 yes Steam Native
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas yes Mac App Store Native
World of Warcraft yes Blizzard Native

And that's about it. Those are the only native games on that list, though they're missing Metro Exodus as I know that was ported to the M1. So yea, you can count the amount of games ported to the M1 on your one hand. Good job Apple, and someday we can count the amount of games with two hands.

I like how they list iOS games as native. I also like how they list World of Warcraft eight times, just to prove their point. The overwhelming majority of the games on that list are from Steam running Rosetta 2. Why are they listing Team Fortress 2 as running on CrossOver? Wasn't that ported to Mac? At the very least it should just need to run Rosetta 2. If they're running it through CrossOver then that means they're using the Windows version.

And that's about it. Those are the only native games on that list, though they're missing Metro Exodus as I know that was ported to the M1. So yea, you can count the amount of games ported to the M1 on your one hand. Good job Apple, and someday we can count the amount of games with two hands.

I feel like there could be an exchange between two folks, but looking at your previous post, makes me feel like the half bitten fruit has somehow hurt you. Anyone could have looked at the list and see that it is there for informational purposes. While WoW was listed 8 times to get its point across, scroll to the right and see different resolutions, settings, and models were used to give people an idea of what they could expect. I could nitpick the list more but a simple google search shows more videos/sites tracking playable games under on a Mac.

Also, regadless if its running from Rosetta2, its nice to see a solution in place that translate x86/64 into something usable with the new silicon. Doubt that translates into perfect applications usage/gaming, but it worked so much better than most expected. Prior to the release of their Arm lineup I could have sworn the sky was falling how the multibillion dollar company was going to delete itself from the market.

That is exactly what the Steam Deck is when you connect to a dock at least.

View attachment 377024
I just hope its not just arch guts with frozen in time builds. I hope they are planning on doing like Manjaro and roll the pure arch updates out perhaps delayed by a month or something. Also hopefully they don't do anything too silly... as long as we can install AUR helpers and packages from the AUR, I'll be happy with it.

I am sure I'll be fine just running arch... I mean steam already runs great under arch as is. But I can see perhaps that some of the anti cheat fixes and the like may require bits only found in SteamOS. I hope it doesn't go that way... but I can see Valve including a few non open source bits to make some publishers happy. If that turns out to be the case I hope for the most part they stick as close to vanilla arch as possible otherwise. When they get a beta version of SteamOS 3.0 out I'll have to give it a spin.

Lol. Never stop being your Mac-hating self, dude.
It's starting to look like a self parody to the rest of us.

It's about time they announce a Tegra X1 successor. It was already getting old when the Switch launched with it. But I'm just as interested in seeing if they update the Shield TV with it now. 3060 level performance on a Shield TV wouldn't put it too far behind the current gen consoles, though I wonder how far behind (if at all) the x86 Zen 2 cores this ARM CPU will be in terms of raw performance.

Says the fool who has no idea what he's talking about - the Maxwell part in Shield Android TV is twice as fast as a GT 710.

The best you could hope for at the same 15w power level is something between a GT 1030 (more likely ) and a GTX 1050 (unlikely.)

Says the fool who has no idea what he's talking about - the Maxwell part in Shield Android TV is twice as fast as a GT 710.

The best you could hope for at the same 15w power level is something between a GT 1030 (more likely ) and a GTX 1050 (unlikely.)

I would explain why I made that comment, but I'll just say you can get fucked with that attitude and kindly request you be more tactful in future posts if you want to have any sort of productive conversation. ;)

Lol. Never stop being your Mac-hating self, dude.
It's starting to look like a self parody to the rest of us.
There isn't anything wrong with questioning the tactics of a megacorp that happens to have and continually use anti-consumer and anti-humanitarian tactics for its Corporatist goals.
Even going off of purely the tech-side of things, their M1 SoC, while truly impressive in the TDP range, leaves a lot to be desired for a discrete GPU offering and more (hopefully upgradable) RAM.

Apple started the fire for ARM on desktop (and laptop) mainstream usage, but it will be NVIDIA and Valve who have the potential to make it go to true heights, just as Intel, AMD, and Microsoft did with IBM-compatible PCs in the 1990s.

Also, just FYI, any Corporatist tactic being pushed on any customer is a bad thing, and should be immediately questioned and confronted, be it from Apple or any other corporation.
Unless you are a fan of Enron, it might be a wise decision to keep such comments of others, like those quoted, to yourself.

There isn't anything wrong with questioning the tactics of a megacorp that happens to have and continually use anti-consumer and anti-humanitarian tactics for its Corporatist goals.
Even going off of purely the tech-side of things, their M1 SoC, while truly impressive in the TDP range, leaves a lot to be desired for a discrete GPU offering and more (hopefully upgradable) RAM.

Apple started the fire for ARM on desktop (and laptop) mainstream usage, but it will be NVIDIA and Valve who have the potential to make it go to true heights, just as Intel, AMD, and Microsoft did with IBM-compatible PCs in the 1990s.

Also, just FYI, any Corporatist tactic being pushed on any customer is a bad thing, and should be immediately questioned and confronted, be it from Apple or any other corporation.
Unless you are a fan of Enron, it might be a wise decision to keep such comments of others, like those quoted, to yourself.
Pretty salty there, little buddy. If you need me to not comment on threads, maybe you should reach out to a mod and see about getting me banned or locked. Otherwise...

Pretty salty there, little buddy. If you need me to not comment on threads, maybe you should reach out to a mod and see about getting me banned or locked. Otherwise...
I never said you couldn't comment, though I did say it would be a wise choice not to make such comments - you still have the right to do so, and certainly have a right to your opinion, even if we don't agree.
If this whole place were an echo chamber, it wouldn't be much fun, and half the fun is the thrill of debate, so keep your thoughts coming - pro-Corporatism and pro-Apple included! (y)

You had better be pro-ARM, though, or else... :D

Chromium OS was based on Gentoo. I haven't looked at in years, but they maintained a separate ebuild repository/overlay, from which you could build the OS and tweak to your heart's content.
“The initial builds of Chrome OS were based on Ubuntu, and its developer, Canonical, was an engineer partner with Google on the project. In 2010, Chrome OS moved to Gentoo Linux as its base to simplify its build process and support a variety number of platforms. Sometime in 2013, Google switched Chrome OS to its own flavour of Linux.[7]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

The current builds feel very much like a heavily modified Arch build.

“The initial builds of Chrome OS were based on Ubuntu, and its developer, Canonical, was an engineer partner with Google on the project. In 2010, Chrome OS moved to Gentoo Linux as its base to simplify its build process and support a variety number of platforms. Sometime in 2013, Google switched Chrome OS to its own flavour of Linux.[7]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

The current builds feel very much like a heavily modified Arch build.

Chromium OS is the open-source "community" edition of Chrome OS. I took a look at the developer's guide and Google is still using Gentoo's build system (Portage). The ebuilds are maintained on Google's servers in separate overlays (portage-stable and chromiumos-overlay) depending on whether they've been modified from upstream. The actual invocation of the Portage package manager (i.e., "emerge") appears wrapped in Google's own suite of build tools. The details are explained here:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/main/portage/package_upgrade_process.md

I think it's fair to say that the end result is Google's "own flavour of Linux" as per the Wikipedia quote, but that has always been the case: they never "switched", as the article claims. Gentoo -- and any other Linux distro -- has only ever been a means to Spyware OS as far as Google is concerned. The Chrome OS Wikipedia entry also lists Portage as the package manager, but that's incorrect, or at least misleading. Portage is only used as part of the process to construct the final image.

Confession: I've never used a Chromebook or any other Google device.

Other related links:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

Back