ARM Cortex-A76 And Mali-G76 Architectures For Next-Gen Mobile Revealed

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
ARM has released details of their new A76 CPU, Mali-G76 GPU, and Mali-V76 VPU. The new design is supposed to have 35% more performance and use 40% less power than last generation. They also claim the new ARM processor will have laptop-class performance and expect it to be within 10% of a Skylake core under the same thermal constraints. When all is said and done it looks like ARM is going to make some inroads into the small laptop market. Not to mention how well these should perform in an Android phone. I can't wait to see how well these little chips do.

The Cortex-A76 represents Arm’s most radical overhaul over previous designs. The A76’s brand-new architecture brings decisive improvements to power and efficiency. Arm’s processor engineers worked with a design goal of outperforming their competitor’s designs, but with half the area and power. This philosophy is very critical in the mobile space where both power budgets and physical space are highly constrained.

Not sure if anyone has known benchmarks of current stuff but you could guess it is 175% faster as a rough estimate if you had pushed these to the max... (40% less power + 35% more performance + 100% baseline)... at a minimum... seems good

They do great engineering. Really pay attention to the details. I hope they do well with this new version. It looks pretty good.

They do good engineering. But this is all marketing fluff like how Intel touted for years they got a 20% performance boost per generation. It was FUD because they were talking about graphics instruction performance only and not CPU IPC. Well the same applies here. You have to read the fine print. It's a lot of vector instruction improvements which don't benefit most loads.

Not sure if anyone has known benchmarks of current stuff but you could guess it is 175% faster as a rough estimate if you had pushed these to the max... (40% less power + 35% more performance + 100% baseline)... at a minimum... seems good

Doesn't work that way. It's one or the other. Again read the fine print. You can run with 40% less power at the same speed, or 35% more performance with the same power envelope.

Either way that 35% more performance figure is a custom benchmark and not a generally accepted productivity based one.

Even if it could do both at the same time you can't add two different percentile metrics.

Just as an example of proper math is it could do both at once
Performance / power = the number you would care about as efficiency.

(100+35)/(100-40) = 135/60 = 2.25 or 125% more efficient (which we know it isn't)

They do good engineering. But this is all marketing fluff like how Intel touted for years they got a 20% performance boost per generation. It was FUD because they were talking about graphics instruction performance only and not CPU IPC. Well the same applies here. You have to read the fine print. It's a lot of vector instruction improvements which don't benefit most loads.

25% in SPECInt is not related to anything vector...

10% of Skylake? This is getting good.

I got IPC is ~5% behind Zen and ~15% behind Skylake. With the plus that you can fit three A76 cores (7nm) inside one Skylake core (14nm). So A76 size is about one half of Skylake on same node.

Looks like it will be a decent chip with plenty of performance, not just for Android devices.

Looks like it will be a decent chip with plenty of performance, not just for Android devices.

The former A72 core was pushed above 4GHz on the new 7HPC node. A lot of Cortex A76 cores on a high-performance node would do a nice HPC/server product.

Well, I gotta eat my words, AMD with the 7nm VEGA presentation claims that the new fabrication process can do both at the same time for over 2x efficiency (the 225% I calculated).

Dayumn

Back