Ark Survival Evolved on Switch Brings Back Retro Gaming Memories

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Ark Survival Evolved game running on the Nintendo Switch is certainly a sight to behold. Never before have I counted such glorious pixels in a game. The shading, the lighting; it is just amazing to watch the Nintendo Switch mangle this former PC title. If you're short on time at least skip to the 9:50 mark and see how long it takes for the game to load.

We've even counted as low as 304x170 resolution which is lower than a SEGA Mega Drive game.

Well when you think about it it tarnishes the brand releasing a bad product, so in the end it costs you.

Greed or just plain Stupidity?
i used to be rather close to people that worked directly with them. Most of the game is "placeholder" by their own admission. the vast majority of the game is a complete "it's playable, ship it" mentality, there hasn't been any care about polish or quality of product since about mid way through Early access. Greed and complacency is a very real probability behind it, that and a bit of cynicism from being berated and sued etc, all of course their own fault.

i used to be rather close to people that worked directly with them. Most of the game is "placeholder" by their own admission. the vast majority of the game is a complete "it's playable, ship it" mentality, there hasn't been any care about polish or quality of product since about mid way through Early access. Greed and complacency is a very real probability behind it, that and a bit of cynicism from being berated and sued etc, all of course their own fault.

Damn I am sorry to hear that, seemed like an amazing concept they had going and I would have loved to see a spit shined tuned version of the game, I noticed the time they started releasing expansion packs that I considered it an abondoned cause as even on top end hardware the game ran like crap.

Damn I am sorry to hear that, seemed like an amazing concept they had going and I would have loved to see a spit shined tuned version of the game, I noticed the time they started releasing expansion packs that I considered it an abondoned cause as even on top end hardware the game ran like crap.
Yep, and they know it can perform better it would just take a lot of work they are not willing nor saw any need to invest with all the money they were raking in for unfinished products. They did not explicitly say it like that but anyone could see the shift in mentality very readily.

Because even thought the switch sales were great, the switch failed miserably. NO DAMN GAMES for it. It's under powered and Nintendo fucked it up by charging to even play old games online.

Because even thought the switch sales were great, the switch failed miserably. NO DAMN GAMES for it. It's under powered and Nintendo fucked it up by charging to even play old games online.

What do you mean no games for it? While there are a lot of ports most of them are good and frankly the only or best way to play on the go? The system has easily been much better supported than the Wii U and unlike the Wii, far less shovelware type games that aren't worth the disk space they take up.

No it didn't. It's been breaking all of Nintendo's sales records to date. There's tons of awesome games for it. Even the "ports" from Nintendo are ports of great Wii U games that basically no one played. There's a lot of titles to play on Switch. It doesn't replace my PC but I have spent a fair bit of time playing mine.

Not quite: not only have the sales of consoles been great, it also has a high rate of "games sold per console".

Does it have all games? No.

Does it need all (or even: most) games to be a success? Also: no!

Last edited:

This was my experience 100% with the game. Brand new 1080, best you could buy at the time when I was playing it, and I'd easily go from 120+ fps down to 60 depending on the direction I looked on maybe medium-high settings at 1440p, it was crazy how unoptimized it was. (it's been a while, don't quote me on the fps.numbers, launch parameters helped too)

Then it just became release maps, new dinos every 2-3 weeks, almost 0 effort to optimize, maybe 1 or 2 "optimization" efforts come to mind.

Honestly, great success for a perpetually EA game, but man, so disappointing from an optimization/game potential perspective. 500 hours in it and I just hated how it felt to move between ARK and any other real game. It just felt so bad by comparison.

This was my experience 100% with the game. Brand new 1080, best you could buy at the time when I was playing it, and I'd easily go from 120+ fps down to 60 depending on the direction I looked on maybe medium-high settings at 1440p, it was crazy how unoptimized it was. (it's been a while, don't quote me on the fps.numbers, launch parameters helped too)

Then it just became release maps, new dinos every 2-3 weeks, almost 0 effort to optimize, maybe 1 or 2 "optimization" efforts come to mind.

Honestly, great success for a perpetually EA game, but man, so disappointing from an optimization/game potential perspective. 500 hours in it and I just hated how it felt to move between ARK and any other real game. It just felt so bad by comparison.
What was the rest of your system?

Don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not but I can say being a PC gamer almost exclusively I’ve found the Switch to be very enjoyable.

I just bought Super Smash Bros for it and have spent a fair amount of hours playing it on the go. Nintendo isn’t trying to make the Switch something it’s not, they aimed this console at portability, and fun. I’ve put roughly a couple hundred hours into this console all the while enjoying practically all of the time spent.

At the time, I was back on a 4690k @ 4.6GHz, 2133MHz DDR3. Processor was definitely lacking a bit, but I'd imagine my experience now would be better with my sig rig.
I wont argue that they "fixed it" but on my rig in sig it runs well enough at 4k even. But I still think it needs a lot of work.

The mad rush to port games to as many platforms as possible before the game is even ready is a great example of could have not should have. Minecraft did the same thing. Just ride that wave!

Good try ARM, good try.
I guess you need to pay some Nintendo insider $$ to get that sweet Mario GFX.
Rushed? Under powered? Not optimized for hardware?
Regardless this is bad. Real bad!

You clearly have no "damn" idea what you are talking about. Switch games are selling insanely well, Smash is about to become THE biggest fighting game franchise on the planet. With only five games (six if you want to count the 3DS version of 4 as a different game than Wii U) in under 20 years. It isn't strong hardware wise, but that clearly doesn't seem to matter as there are quite a few studios looking to port games over to test out the market. The system itself is still pulling in strong sales. Thanks to Pokemon and Smash Nintendo has a chance of actually hitting their 20m units goal for this fiscal year.

We've even counted as low as 304x170 resolution which is lower than a SEGA Mega Drive game.
Youtube shouldn't even have a 140p option unless it's an OG YT video that literally is 240 or 140p. I can't imagine playing a game at that resolution on a modern screen.. the pixels must be so jagged they make the ps1 look like like it has AA.

Back