Argh...stupid Audigy 2 ZS >= 0

Circuitbreaker8

Supreme [H]ardness
OMFG! I fuckin hate creative for releasing these shitty ass drivers. Im sorry, but EVERY fuckin time I restart my computer, the damn CMSS 3D settings reset to default, and the only way to get the EQ to work is by opening it in the control panel! What kind of shit is that?! Are there like 3rd party drivers for creative cards? :mad:

I have no idea why it does this though...never used to. Creative drivers just SUCK. Their hardware is great, just wish they could make some good drivers:rolleyes:

Amen to that.

Better yet, I wish someone else would come along and release a card that stomps Creative's garbage in gaming as well as music and movies. This means you M-Audio :p

firtol88 said:
Question and Answer ;) how very efficient of you :D

:D

Its so fuckin anoying! And sometimes when I restart, it goes back to 2.1 instead of staying at 4.1!! Fuck creative, im about to sell this thing.....but the sad thing is, there is nothing else that touches it in terms of the SQ for games/movies THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHERE THESE IS NO COMPETITION! :mad:

works fine here. : :eek:

My recommendation:

1. Get a completely fresh set of drivers.
2. Remove all creative software from computer
3. Remove all registry entries relating to creative.
4. Remove card from device manager.
5. Shutdown and remove card from machine
6. Boot, watching for any tray icons, software startup, or any other crud looking for that creative card. Remove anything you find.
7. Remove any creative .inf files laying around in your windows tree.
8. Shutdown.
9. Reinstall card
10. Boot
11. Cancel the install if it looks like windows is going to automatically add the hardware.
12. Run the creative driver by hand, installing the software.

Hell, if you get right down to it, this isn't far from what you have to do with each release of ati's catalyst drivers. :eek:

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers? I hate them too but they don't give me that kind of hell.

With all these problems, I need to be sure I try this card out with a fresh install system and load Doom3 or FarCry on it and see what issues I run into. If one time, yes, one time I get any problem with the Audigy crapping out on me, I swear I'm returning it and sticking with onboard. Btw, I went overboard and ordered the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro :D

Sooooooooooooooo where are all the little homies around here that keep recommending Creative to posters now?
Shouldnt these people be offering some support since some believe its a great choice?

Come on guys, whats the problem with his card?

You can follow the voodoo list of ways to fix an emu101k's problems but you'll never get it done, because I've been through it. Have one in the closet.

Save yourself a headache and buy virtually any brand besides Creative. I like the Nforce2 onboard audio (Soundstorm), but if you want a card it seems the market leader is M-Audio and the Revolution 7.1 for about $100 or the 5.1 for about $60.
Many have attested to the Revolution sounding better than ANY Audigy. The CPU utilization is a moot point for gamers as I've pointed out in other posts, and you get something that is respected. But more importantly, more reliable.
Creative cards are for kids who read PC Gamer. :D Not that I didnt back in the mid 90s.

Same thing happens to me. Sometimes the settings just goes haywire and decides to change by itself. :(
And that EQ thing is very true. After I'm done with an EAX compatible game, I go back to my desktop, listen to music and it doesn't sound the same. So I have to load up the EQ and once it loads up, the EQ setting applies. Sometimes I have to double check my audio settings just to make sure it didn't change.

Good hardware, bad software. :mad:

actually the hardware is the same emu101k that the audigy1 is. it was tweaked to support the features the audigy 1 was advertised to do.. but didnt really deliver.
emu101k is the worst sound chip ever when you add up all the problems it has with various system configurations.
i believe it was that chip in the Live!, A1, A2, A2ZS.. different firmware, maybe tweaked hardware a bit and better DACs (but just enough to keep up with the meager competition, its not like they go out of their way to deliver value).

Its quite possibly the worst monopoly in all computing, at least in Microsofts and Wal-Marts case we get decent standardization and value, respectively.

Add in poor software support with subpar hardware and you have a real doozie of a sound card. Its a shame that they've repackaged the same chip so many times that theres a zillion of them out there. But at least by now consumers have wised up, so it has its benefits.

For crying out loud, the !!!!!!ism in here can be cut with a pair of scissors. Actually, I think this needs a new word. Whenever there's a reasonably good product with a decent population of dissatisfied users (many of which may just need to RTFM), they act all elitist and scream bloody murder. Basherboyism, anyone?

I have an Audigy 2 ZS. I have no problems with the Revo or 3rd party cards - I came from a GTXP myself - but the Audigy is doing just FINE for me. It does what I ask it to and I rarely have to worry about it. I game a lot, but if I didn't, I'd probably have a Revo. It doesn't hurt my ego in the least to say that.

@ thread starter: my CMSS stays right where I put it, except for when I would play GTA:VC. Then it would downgrade to 2.1 and obviously the CMSS sorta stopped then too. What I am wondering though, is if you are having some conflict with some other program. For example, Norton blames Creative's drivers for when their background protection thinger wouldn't work. It could be some other process on your system is futzing with creative. Use MSConfig and kill some startup items.

mangoldm said:
I use KX Project drivers with my Audigy 2. Highly recommended.
that is so sad people have to do that.

(many of which may just need to RTFM),
its obvious that you've never had any of the problems because ive spent over a year straight trying to get my audigy to work on multiple motherboards and systems.

I have never had any problems with any creative cards except for a DOA on a soundblaster 512 pci...

I tend to redo my machine every couple months due to hard ware changes (usually upgrading...) What I do to install drivers for my sound card (and I have done this atleast a dozen times now with several Audigy cards...) is:
- Install the card if you havent already
- Boot up windows, let windows install the device as an unknown device or just hit cancel so it doesnt install any drivers...
- Install the software from the CD (I usually just do the drivers, surround mixer, and the remote control software)
- Download the latest drivers/software that you will use from creative and install the drivers first, then any software packages

You should be pretty much good to go. I currently use an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro in my main rig and in my HTPC, an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum in my gaming rig, and an Audigy 2 NX on my notebook (when I have it docked at work) and I have not had a single problem, inconvienence or anything.

One thing I can recommend, unless you need it, is to not install THX settings. It fucks with your volume and other settings and will come close to fucking your ears if you have headphones. Infact when I first got my Audigy 2 I was raped many a time in my ears.

I think I fixed it, hasnt been doing it anymore. What you have to do is disable CMSS then enable it again. The stupid EQ thing remains :mad: Still loads better than onboard sound though :)

Back