Argh...help me - I'm pulling my hair out

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I've been a fairly patient and methodical man to this point. So I'll list my trouble here in hopes that someone might be able to assist/point me in the right direction or verify I'm doing everything right.

My system is as follows: Intel E6600 @ stock speeds/voltage, Enermax Liberty 500W PSU, Asus P5NSLI, 2x1GB Corsair DDR2-667 sticks, EVGA GeForce 7900 GT, Creative X-Fi, WinXP SP2 with latest-greatest drivers for chipset and devices.

This system was built 4 weeks ago. Approximately 2 weeks ago, my PSU went Tango-Uniform, so I had to RMA it. It started a nasty squeeling noise, so I shut it off as quickly as possible. In the interim, I connected a spare 430W Antec (old 20 pin connector) to the system until the new PSU got here. During this time, I purchased Company of Heroes and the system seemed to become unstable. I was content to blame the game until it happened with America's Army and Prime95 mem torture test. This indicated hardware. I was hoping the new PSU (with 24 pin connector and more power) would correct this. My hope failed this evening.

Now, I attempted to drop my RAM timings from 4-4-4-12 to SPD and bump my voltage up from 1.9V to 2.1V (max for this mobo). This seemed to help delay it, but only slightly. I tried running with a single stick in single-channel mode to eliminate the possibility of a single stick being bad. Still no dice. Increasingly suspicious of the RAM, I fired up Memtest86. Everything came up golden. Back to the drawing board.

A look at the Asus QVL shows that Corsair is not present. Now, I've never had a problem with Corsair...good stuff. Unfortunately, there are no BIOS updates yet. Hmm...one other thing that bothers me with this board is the Southbridge. There is no HS on it. WTF? This thing is scalding to the touch. I'm tempted to pick up a cheap HS to put on there, but part of me is wondering if this board is just a big POS now. I found out it's not really a full-on NForce 570, but some sort of hybrid.

So what are your thoughts? Think the PSU fried something? Should I try RAM from the puny QVL list? Think this mobo is a POS? Help!

BillParrish

Supreme [H]ardness
Humor me, unload the x-fi drivers and pull the x-fi card out of the box and play with onboard or no sound for an evening and see what happens.

(several posts about this card being picky about what slot its in, although this makes no sense, and also driver issues with some games.)

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hmm...will definately give it a shot. It certainly couldn't hurt. The real crappy thing is I got a LAN party tommorrow. :(

Oh yes - forgot to mention that heat is not an issue. (At least for the CPU). Running a Zalman 9500 for my HSF, and have 2x120mm and 1x80mm fans. CPU temp reaches a max of 43-45C during load.

BBA

Supreme [H]ardness
Sound like chipset issues if it is too hot, check the chipset temps in bios.

Bleedblue12345

[H]ard|Gawd
take ure video card out and borrow a friends, and do us all a favor and take that peice of crapola x-fi out.... it is soooooo buggy

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
Update - I yanked the X-Fi and put in a freshly formatted PATA drive I had in reserve. Prime95 chugged for 6 hours without a hiccup overnight. Yay! I put the X-Fi back in to verify if this was the problem or not...boom...damn thing chugged without a hiccup again. Hmm...back to the drawing board once again.

I figured the only difference between hardware swaps was the hard drive. I originally had my large SATA drive in. So I put it back in and began yet another reformat/reinstall. On a side note, interestingly enough, whenever it was plugged into SATA ports 1 or 3, it wouldn't detect the drive after a warm reboot (only cold). If I plug it into ports 2 or 4, it's detected everytime.

Anyway, got the SATA drive reformatted without the X-Fi...Prime95 ran like a champ again. Added X-Fi....and it STILL ran. So now I'm definately questioning mobo with the oddity of ports 1 and 3. Not quite sure why this would cause a spontaneous reboot though. I also added a cheap HS to the Southbridge to help with cooling.