ARGB port connect - CPU error on boot?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Hello everyone,

Helping my nephew build his new rig.

Through an entire day of troubleshooting and going to simple basics to connect 1 thing - power on, test, power off, connect next, we have narrowed it down to a problem with the ARGB port or the Lian Li ARGB adapter...

Has anyone had an issue where the system works perfectly fine. Then, turn the system off, connect the 3 pin ARGB cable to ARGB 3 pin port on the mobo. Connected 3 fans into that splitter, turn the system on, all the RGB lights come on, mobo, AMD stock cooler, the 3 front fans, but the mobo shows a CPU error....

This is on an Asus TUF X570 Wifi, brand new from Amazon (assume new) flashed to the latest 3405 bios earlier today when it was working. It did the same thing on the previous bios (not sure what version it was)

The strange part was then, reset the CMOS, still get the CPU light, orange, never goes past that, no output.
Remove battery / reset CMOS - still get CPU orange light...

Nephew takes the entire system out of the case, puts it all together on his desk and it works - NOTE this is not a case shortage, we tested this and it worked in the case. it did not stop working until we connected the ARGB from a Lian Li Galahad ARGB splitter the system uses. I have the same AIO and mine worked fine. My thought is the time it takes for the power to drain from the mobo or something is what then makes it work after. We did this twice, in case, out of case.

We are connecting the ARGB to the ARGB port:
1613523245399.png

Just for reference, we have troubleshooted everything, single sticks of ram in every slot, testing both sticks, each in single slots, GPU in one of 2 PCIe slots, confirmed all cables are tightly in, you name, yes, we have tried it today. Once the board boots up again (hopefully) we will test the case ARGB connector, using a Phantek P400A case, to see if that causes the same problem.

Just seem weird an ARGB connector would cause a CPU error and not let the system boot?

What are the odds the CPU is bad? It worked fine it seems before that and nephew played TC Seige and streamed briefly....

Cross posted on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/llichk/asus_tuf_x570_wifi_cpu_error_when_connecting_to/

Last edited:
Weird problem.

Verify polarity is correct.
Look at the bottom of the board to see if any solder bridges (blobs of solder) where they don't belong.

Contact ASUS tech support and see if they have any ideas.

Amazon should swap you for a new one if you are within the return window.

ETA:

"Addressable RGB Gen 2 header (3-pin ADD_GEN2)
This connector is for individually addressable RGB WS2812B LED strips or WS2812B
based LED strips."

You sure you are using the correct RGB header for the device you are connecting?

Last edited:
Good thoughts, will ask the nephew to do a video chat to take a peak.

The board only has the single 3 pin RGB connector (Addressable Gen 2 RGB header), the Lian Li Galahad fans only has the 3 pin Addressable RGB connector from a 3 way splitter. Lian Li does not seem to detail the specifics of their Addressable Gen 2 connector, only other details. The same cooler works flawlessly on my MSI x570 Tomahawk..

Or did Asus make this to only work with specific items, where as every other board maker uses the 3 pin addressable to work for anything..

Fans

• Fan dimensions: (L) 120 X (W) 120 X (H) 25 mm
  • Fan speed: 800 ~ 1900 RPM
  • Fan airflow: 69.17 CFM
  • Fan air pressure: 2.6 mmH2O
  • Fan mttf: 40,000 Hours
  • Fan power connector: 4-PIN
  • Fan rated voltage: 12V DC
Pump

• Pump dimensions (L) 87.1 X (W) 74 X (H) 62
  • Pump mttf: 70,000 Hours
  • Pump noise level: < 20 dBA
  • Pump connector: 2510-3-PIN
  • Pump rated voltage: 12V DC
Warranty

• AiO Cooler: 5 years
  • Fans and LEDs: 2 years
Lian Li cables:

1613623059991.png

The other 2 RGB connectors are the 4 PIN 12v RGB, non addressable, I presume it is the proper one as it is the only one it can connect to?

1613623517917.png

From the Asus Manual the pins match

1613623548761.png

Last edited:
I'm not a big RGB fan or expert, but I've been an electronics and IT professional for many years.
So that's my angle coming at this.

If I'm approaching this problem for a customer, I'm assuming all of the parts are good unless they were smoked by tinkering.

My focus here is going to be this: "This connector is for individually addressable RGB WS2812B LED strips or WS2812B
based LED strips."

Are the the devices you are trying to connect "WS2812B LED strips or WS2812B based LED strips."

If the device is NOT "WS2812B LED strips or WS2812Bbased LED strips" then you've found your problem.

Again, I'm not an RGB expert, but I do know that the different RGB schemes are NOT all compatible.

I'm guessing square peg/round hole problem here.

RGB headers can be either 5V or 12V or both. I'd guess that you're trying to pull 12V from a 5V header and causing an overvolt power fail-safe.

Astral Abyss

I have this same AIO in my 5v RGB header on my MSI (it can only go into a 3pin 5v RGB header) 12v is a 4 PIN RGB header....

As per the image above also:

1614303261253.png

Back