ARECA Owner's Thread (SAS/SATA RAID Cards)

Good point! Thanks! I forgot about URE risk at such a high drive capacity. Hasn't been something to concern me coming from 3TB drives. Think I'm safe enough 5-disk RAID-6? Or should I drop more capacity and go RAID-10? Actually, right after posting here I found a Supermicro CSE-846 bare-bones on eBay and bought it. Now I'm pivoting my plans from a Windows SMB share to perhaps TrueNAS or UnRAID, or something. Gonna find out if my ARC-1680 works in a Supermicro MB-X9DRI-LN4F+ (or whatever mobo I get). I already snagged a Supermicro BPN-SAS-846A a while back. This backplane has 6x SFF-8087 so I expect it to pair up nicely with the ARC-1680 (I've never used expanders so I don't know if a backplane with expanders could be a problem).

Good point! Thanks! I forgot about URE risk at such a high drive capacity. Hasn't been something to concern me coming from 3TB drives. Think I'm safe enough 5-disk RAID-6? Or should I drop more capacity and go RAID-10? Actually, right after posting here I found a Supermicro CSE-846 bare-bones on eBay and bought it. Now I'm pivoting my plans from a Windows SMB share to perhaps TrueNAS or UnRAID, or something. Gonna find out if my ARC-1680 works in a Supermicro MB-X9DRI-LN4F+ (or whatever mobo I get). I already snagged a Supermicro BPN-SAS-846A a while back. This backplane has 6x SFF-8087 so I expect it to pair up nicely with the ARC-1680 (I've never used expanders so I don't know if a backplane with expanders could be a problem).
Myself I would still go with raid 6, but just be aware it might just fail during a rebuild twice in a row. As long as you have a backup plan in place, you can always recover. I've been wanting a 846 for a while too, I never seem to catch them.

Problem: I get a segmentation fault on ubuntu when running archttp64, but only when my config is set to use gmail for smtp. If I configure it to use my local server's smtp, it works fine.
I thought after all these years I'd know the correct values to use for gmail smtp, but perhaps I'm getting it wrong.
I have app passwords set in google so each application has it's own password.
Could someone look over this and tell me where I'm getting it wrong, or post their own archttpsrv.conf?

Code:
[GENERAL]
HTTPPort=81
SMTPPort=587  (I've also tried 465)
SMTPS=YES  (I've tried with and without this line)
BindingIp=0.0.0.0
ScanPci=YES
ScanRs232=NO
ScanInband=NO
ConnInfo=YES
EventLog=events.log

[MAIL]
Server=smtp.gmail.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Password=xxxxyyyyzzzzaaaa  (The 16-character password google accounts created for this app)
MailToName1=admin
MailToName2=
MailToName3=
MailToName4=
[email protected]

The following works fine:
Code:
[GENERAL]
HTTPPort=81
SMTPPort=25
BindingIp=0.0.0.0
ScanPci=YES
ScanRs232=NO
ScanInband=NO
ConnInfo=NO
EventLog=events.log

[MAIL]
Server=192.168.1.20
Sender=root
SenderMail=root
Account=root
MailToName1=admin
MailToName2=
MailToName3=
MailToName4=
MailAddr1=root

Regarding google's use of 'use less secure apps'? I've tried it with all possible combos (I think). Port 25, 465, and 587, with SMTPS=YES and SMTPS=NO.
Fundamentally, the app shouldn't really be crashing with no error and a segmentation fault. The app runs fine unless it needs to do something useful like send me a message that a fault has occurred, at which point it segmentation faults.
I'm assuming that others are running this OK on their linux systems. I've narrowed it down to the [MAIL] section of the config, so all I really need is to see someone else's archttpsrv.conf that is hopefully using gmail. That should immediately tell me what the difference is and hopefully I can get mine running.

I'm assuming that others are running this OK on their linux systems. I've narrowed it down to the [MAIL] section of the config, so all I really need is to see someone else's archttpsrv.conf that is hopefully using gmail. That should immediately tell me what the difference is and hopefully I can get mine running.

From a Windows system but working nevertheless:
Code:
[GENERAL]
HTTPPort=81
SMTPPort=465
BindingIp=0.0.0.0
ScanPci=YES
ScanRs232=NO
ScanInband=NO
ConnInfo=NO
HTTPS=NO
SMTPS=YES

[MAIL]
Server=smtp.gmail.com
Sender=
[email protected]
[email protected]
Password=xxxx
MailToName1=
MailToName2=
MailToName3=
MailToName4=
[email protected]
MailAddr2=
MailAddr3=
MailAddr4=
EvtLevel=2
NotifyForNoEvent=NO
EvtLevel2=0
NotifyForNoEvent2=NO
EvtLevel3=0
NotifyForNoEvent3=NO
EvtLevel4=0
NotifyForNoEvent4=NO

I have a 1223 8i, (pcie 2x8). I just found out the pcie slot on my new board is an x16 but in X4 mode. Anyone know if it'll work?

It will work fine but the link will be half as fast as the board is capable of. Depending on the types of drives you have connected it may or may not be a limiting factor in transfer speeds.

It will work fine but the link will be half as fast as the board is capable of. Depending on the types of drives you have connected it may or may not be a limiting factor in transfer speeds.
thanks! I gave it a punt and its working. I have 2 raid 5's with 4 drives each. Seems to get me about 400mb/sec read which seems pretty good I think.

new question: windows 11 - on resume from sleep the raid had disappeared. Is there a way around this?

new question: windows 11 - on resume from sleep the raid had disappeared. Is there a way around this?
It could be an issue with pcie power down, if your bios lets you disable it on the slot it's in you could try that and see if it has any effect. There would be the issue with that is it will get pretty hot with no airflow.

Is it possible, or low-risk even if possible, to add several hard drives at once to expand a RAID6 array? I have 7 each Western Digital 14TB 0F31284 WUH721414ALE6L, and would like to add 3 more to my Areca 1882ix-16.

Is it possible, or low-risk even if possible, to add several hard drives at once to expand a RAID6 array? I have 7 each Western Digital 14TB 0F31284 WUH721414ALE6L, and would like to add 3 more to my Areca 1882ix-16.
I did this with my original 4tb disk array, I expanded from 5 disks to 8. I would think it would be more dangerous to add one at a time, as it would have to re-calculate parity every time.

Yes, basically you will add the drives and expand your RAIDSet, then expand your VolumeSet and then expand or extend (depending on your OS) your filesystem. As with any time you make significant changes to your setup (and of course it is an important idea in general) you should have complete and current backups of any data you cannot be without.

I'm having a hard time upgrading my new (to me) 1882ix-24 from 4GB to 8GB. The card came with a Kingston 4GB DDR3L-10600R 1Rx4 stick. I've tried numerous 8GB sticks with no success. Most sticks just prevent the card from showing up in the OS at all, while two other sticks I found allow the card to show up but only show 4GB for some reason.

The two sticks that work but only show up as 4GB are:
Micron MT18KSF1G72PDZ-1G4E1FE, PC3L-10600R, CL9, 2Rx8, 8GB
Hynix HMT41GR7AFR8A-PB, PC3L-12800R, CL11, 2Rx8, 8GB
These both show up as: 4096MB/1333MHz/ECC

The other sticks that prevent the card from showing up in the OS are either 1Rx4 or 2Rx4, so my guess is that these are not compatible with the card.

In previous posts here it was said that the Transcend TS1GLK72V3H works with this card, which is 2Rx8, as well as the ADATA ADDE1333W8G9-BMIE, which is also 2Rx8. Areca's own FAQ says 2Rx8 sticks are supported: http://faq.areca.com.tw/index.php?action=artikel&cat=14&id=359&artlang=en&highlight=8gb

I've upgraded the card to the latest firmware (1.56). It was on a slightly older version but this didn't seem to make a difference.

I can't seem to find the Transcend or ADATA sticks available online today. Is there a known working stick I could buy somewhere for a realistic price these days? Or maybe there is a setting that might be preventing the card from seeing all 8GB with my current sticks?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm having a hard time upgrading my new (to me) 1882ix-24 from 4GB to 8GB. The card came with a Kingston 4GB DDR3L-10600R 1Rx4 stick. I've tried numerous 8GB sticks with no success. Most sticks just prevent the card from showing up in the OS at all, while two other sticks I found allow the card to show up but only show 4GB for some reason.

The two sticks that work but only show up as 4GB are:
Micron MT18KSF1G72PDZ-1G4E1FE, PC3L-10600R, CL9, 2Rx8, 8GB
Hynix HMT41GR7AFR8A-PB, PC3L-12800R, CL11, 2Rx8, 8GB
These both show up as: 4096MB/1333MHz/ECC

The other sticks that prevent the card from showing up in the OS are either 1Rx4 or 2Rx4, so my guess is that these are not compatible with the card.

In previous posts here it was said that the Transcend TS1GLK72V3H works with this card, which is 2Rx8, as well as the ADATA ADDE1333W8G9-BMIE, which is also 2Rx8. Areca's own FAQ says 2Rx8 sticks are supported: http://faq.areca.com.tw/index.php?action=artikel&cat=14&id=359&artlang=en&highlight=8gb

I've upgraded the card to the latest firmware (1.56). It was on a slightly older version but this didn't seem to make a difference.

I can't seem to find the Transcend or ADATA sticks available online today. Is there a known working stick I could buy somewhere for a realistic price these days? Or maybe there is a setting that might be preventing the card from seeing all 8GB with my current sticks?

Any help would be appreciated!
I upgraded my 1882ix-16 to 8GB without issue. I think I found the memory part number in this forum somewhere, although I don't recall the part number unfortunately. A search might find it. I found it a worthwhile upgrade, dramatically increasing write speeds. Admittedly just to the RAM buffer then to the RAID array, but to the user it is way faster.

I upgraded my 1882ix-16 to 8GB without issue. I think I found the memory part number in this forum somewhere, although I don't recall the part number unfortunately. A search might find it. I found it a worthwhile upgrade, dramatically increasing write speeds. Admittedly just to the RAM buffer then to the RAID array, but to the user it is way faster.
Could you find the part number if you have a chance? I'm wondering if it's different from the Transcend (TS1GLK72V3H) or ADATA (ADDE1333W8G9-BMIE) part numbers that I've found so far. The odd thing is those are both 2Rx8 so I'm not sure why my 2Rx8 sticks are only showing up as 4GB.

1223 8i (or newer variants): will they take 16tb drives ok? Probably in a 4 drive raid 5 (yes I know, but I don't expect to rebuild the array if a drive fails, it just need to survive long enough to do an incremental backup. I'm not dealing with terabytes of throughput each week, probably more like 50gb on average.

If not any suggestions? 1882? Or another brand? Used as my work drive for video editing, but in the next year or so it'll be more like accessible storage in between my SSD work drives and backup.

Could you find the part number if you have a chance? I'm wondering if it's different from the Transcend (TS1GLK72V3H) or ADATA (ADDE1333W8G9-BMIE) part numbers that I've found so far. The odd thing is those are both 2Rx8 so I'm not sure why my 2Rx8 sticks are only showing up as 4GB.
Could be timing/speed related, as Areca specifies only 1200MHz is supported at 8GB. I'm also running a stick of ADDE1333W8G9-BMIE and have the full 8GB showing up. Don't have any way of checking supported timings on this stick unfortunately.

If it helps, CDW seems to have the Transcend stick available despite a high price: https://www.cdw.com/product/transcend-ddr3-8-gb-dimm-240-pin-unbuffered/4013510

Based on ADATA's product numbers, I'm curious if ADDE1600W8G11 would work too, though those are also hard to come by at sane prices.

Edit: Looking at the other 2 part numbers you provided, I think the reason they showed up as 4GB is because they RDIMMs instead of UDIMMs. Surprised they worked at all honestly.

Last edited:
You need an ECC Single Rank, 1Rx8 or 1Rx16 and the 4GB need to be DDR3-1333 and the 8GB are "supposed" to be DDR3-1200 but I have seen 1333 sticks come from Areca with 8GB on them.

I can't get my 1223 8i to boot in a new system. It's worked in everything before.
I've set the bios on the motherboard to csm, pcie devices to legacy not uefi

With the card installed the mb hangs at debug code "pcie initialization started", monitor stays back

In the x4 slot it's just ignored

I can't get my 1223 8i to boot in a new system. It's worked in everything before.
I've set the bios on the motherboard to csm, pcie devices to legacy not uefi

With the card installed the mb hangs at debug code "pcie initialization started", monitor stays back

In the x4 slot it's just ignored
Unfortunately, welcome to enterprise hardware on consumer motherboards. First, make sure you are running the latest BIOS on the motherboard and the latest BIOS, FIRM, BOOT & MBR files on the card. Next, see if the box boots with the HBA in the x16 slot you have your video card in. If all of these are accomplished and it still does not boot, you are pretty much SOL with that particualr board model.

Unfortunately, welcome to enterprise hardware on consumer motherboards. First, make sure you are running the latest BIOS on the motherboard and the latest BIOS, FIRM, BOOT & MBR files on the card. Next, see if the box boots with the HBA in the x16 slot you have your video card in. If all of these are accomplished and it still does not boot, you are pretty much SOL with that particualr board model.
Ok i farted around with the bios until I could see the controller in windows, but no drives were discovered. I don't really want to admit the rest of it 😬 Over an hour spent trouble shooting, and it was the sata leads lacking that final "click" into the board 🤦.

I don't see the bios loading message on boot like I used to with my MSI motherboards, but it appears to be working.

I was wondering if I could pick the brains of this group. I recently purchased a Areca 8050T3U-12E. I have two Areca 8050T3U-12 already which are functioning perfectly connected to via a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. When I plug in the new Areca, the raid is not detected by either ARCSAP or MRaid. I was able to create the RAID by connecting an ethernet cord and using the onboard version of MRAID. The RAID set and Volume set were created successfully, but (a) the Raid is still not detectable by either ARCSAP or MRAID and (b) the RAID won't mount on the computer unless I connect it daisy chain through one of the old 8050T3U-12. In addition, when writing to the new RAID, I am getting errors writing files (the mac error code 36 (some data in the file can't be read or written). It is always with the same files and those files can be copied to other destinations without problems. I've tried rebuilding the RAID array, connecting to another computer, using a different cable. Still have both errors (a) and (b). Any one have any ideas what is going on?

Could be timing/speed related, as Areca specifies only 1200MHz is supported at 8GB. I'm also running a stick of ADDE1333W8G9-BMIE and have the full 8GB showing up. Don't have any way of checking supported timings on this stick unfortunately.

If it helps, CDW seems to have the Transcend stick available despite a high price: https://www.cdw.com/product/transcend-ddr3-8-gb-dimm-240-pin-unbuffered/4013510

Based on ADATA's product numbers, I'm curious if ADDE1600W8G11 would work too, though those are also hard to come by at sane prices.

Edit: Looking at the other 2 part numbers you provided, I think the reason they showed up as 4GB is because they RDIMMs instead of UDIMMs. Surprised they worked at all honestly.
Thanks, it was indeed because they were RDIMMs! Some vendors put this directly on the label but ADATA does not. For anyone else going through this, look for PC3-10600E or PC3-12800E, not *R* or *U*.

The 8GB sticks that worked for me are:
BrandModelSpeedCas LatencyRank
Kingstonkvr1333d3e9s/8gPC3-10600E92Rx8
ADATAad3e1600w8g11-bmiePC3-12800E11?
KingstonKvr16e11/8PC3-12800E112Rx8
Kingstonkvr16e11/8kfPC3-12800E112Rx8

All of these show up as 8192MB/1200MHz/ECC, so I chose the PC3-10600E stick since it has a lower cas latency.

Has anyone seen an 1882 with a fast blinking activity led blue light on the back and it's not recognized in the system?

I've tried a supermicro board and a dell t620

Last edited:
Ok i farted around with the bios until I could see the controller in windows, but no drives were discovered. I don't really want to admit the rest of it 😬 Over an hour spent trouble shooting, and it was the sata leads lacking that final "click" into the board 🤦.

I don't see the bios loading message on boot like I used to with my MSI motherboards, but it appears to be working.
Does your BIOS/UEFI have a setting for legacy/INT13?

1680717789514.png

Anyone know what the letter/number in parentheses after "SLOT ##" means? I'm not seeing anything about this in the manual, and I can't seem to correlate it to any details on the device info page. It follows the disk when moved to a different slot. This is an 1882ix with 8 SAS disks connected.

Last edited:
View attachment 561922

Anyone know what the letter/number in parentheses after "SLOT ##" means? I'm not seeing anything about this in the manual, and I can't seem to correlate it to any details on the device info page. This is an 1882ix with 8 SAS disks connected.
I believe it is the SAS SCSI Enclosure Services sideband connector number (ever see the SFF-8087 to SATA cables with the extra cables hanging off, those are the SES-2 connectors) for things like activity/error LED's, slot usage, etc.

I believe it is the SAS SCSI Enclosure Services sideband connector number (ever see the SFF-8087 to SATA cables with the extra cables hanging off, those are the SES-2 connectors) for things like activity/error LED's, slot usage, etc.
I made an edit to say that the value follows the drive when moved to a different slot, so it could be some kind of sideband value specific to the drive?
My setup is an IBM x3500 M4 server with an 1882ix, with two SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables going to two backplanes, so I don't have a separate SES-2 connector. There is some kind of "configuration cable" connected from the backplanes directly to the motherboard though. Either way, my status/activity lights seem to work, so I must have some kind of sideband connection set up.

Are these configurable? I'd like to rename them so they are contiguous.

Hi, I have several pass thru sata disks (formatted ntfs) connected to a 1882ix running on a Windows Server box. Does anyone know if the disks will run directly off the sata ports on my motherboard or if somehow they are tied to the Areca? I want to retain the data currently on the drives. I know I can just “try it”, but I worry plugging them into the sata ports, windows will perhaps rewrite the signatures on the disk, leading to data loss. Thank you!

Hi, separate from my other post on pass thru disks…I have another system with another 1882ix controller. This controller has two RAID6 arrays attached to it. The first one is via the internal connectors and consists of 10 disks. The second is via the external connector connected to a Supermicro JBOD, consisting of 15 disks. Since the array in the external, supermicro JBOD is more of a backup, I try to leave that powered off to cut down on the noise and power usage and only turn it on when needed. However, if I turn the JBOD on while the server is already booted, sometimes not all the disks come up properly and the array shows up with missing disks/degrade or failed. Does anyone know why this is? I thought the controller supports hot plugging? I am always very careful to “offline” the array before powering down the JBOD.

If instead I connect the array to a 1882x card installed on the same system, I don’t seem to have the issue and can power up the JBOD while the server is running and the array shows up fine.

The controller writes signatures on each disk so that it doesn’t get confused which disks belong to which Array, right?

Hello,

I currently have an arc-1882ix-12 but it's not recognized and the blue led light is constantly flashing fast. Does anyone know what that might mean?

Thank you for any help.

Hi, I have several pass thru sata disks (formatted ntfs) connected to a 1882ix running on a Windows Server box. Does anyone know if the disks will run directly off the sata ports on my motherboard or if somehow they are tied to the Areca? I want to retain the data currently on the drives. I know I can just “try it”, but I worry plugging them into the sata ports, windows will perhaps rewrite the signatures on the disk, leading to data loss. Thank you!
I'd say just try it and see what happens. You could always use a Linux environment if you're worried Windows might try to write to the disks.

Hi, separate from my other post on pass thru disks…I have another system with another 1882ix controller. This controller has two RAID6 arrays attached to it. The first one is via the internal connectors and consists of 10 disks. The second is via the external connector connected to a Supermicro JBOD, consisting of 15 disks. Since the array in the external, supermicro JBOD is more of a backup, I try to leave that powered off to cut down on the noise and power usage and only turn it on when needed. However, if I turn the JBOD on while the server is already booted, sometimes not all the disks come up properly and the array shows up with missing disks/degrade or failed. Does anyone know why this is? I thought the controller supports hot plugging? I am always very careful to “offline” the array before powering down the JBOD.

If instead I connect the array to a 1882x card installed on the same system, I don’t seem to have the issue and can power up the JBOD while the server is running and the array shows up fine.

The controller writes signatures on each disk so that it doesn’t get confused which disks belong to which Array, right?
Maybe there is an order-of-operations issue where the JBOD card (I'm assuming it's a SAS expander?) comes online before the disks connected to it? I don't know what the expected behavior should be here, but one thing you could try is setting the controller to spin down the disks after they are idle rather than fully turning off the JBOD. This would avoid the hot plugging issue entirely.

Hello,

I currently have an arc-1882ix-12 but it's not recognized and the blue led light is constantly flashing fast. Does anyone know what that might mean?

Thank you for any help.
The blue LED is just an activity LED. What do you mean when you say it's not recognized? What OS are you using, and where are you looking for it to show up?

Hello all, long time no see.

I come here seeking wisdom and guidance getting two Areca RAID cards operational on my systems.

Thus far, neither machine can interact with either card.

These have been physically installed, Device manager sees them, but i cannot install drivers with the same "The device could not be started (10)" error 'codes'.

Drives are connected, power is connected.

The cards in question are...

ARC1883ix-12 in a Z390 Formula system

ARC1883ix-16 in a Z790 Apex Encore system

I am not sure if it is a chipset/UEFI thing, hardware limitation, etc.

I have tried every possible combination of UEFI/CSM settings.

I have tried CLI as well as DOS updating their firmware, to no avail, with zero progress.

Oddly, the lowly ARC-1883 8i works flawlessly; drivers install fine, ArcHTTP works etc.

It is only the bigger 1883ix-12/16 cards that fail to work.

Where should i start?

Hello all, long time no see.

I come here seeking wisdom and guidance getting two Areca RAID cards operational on my systems.

Thus far, neither machine can interact with either card.

These have been physically installed, Device manager sees them, but i cannot install drivers with the same "The device could not be started (10)" error 'codes'.

Drives are connected, power is connected.

The cards in question are...

ARC1883ix-12 in a Z390 Formula system

ARC1883ix-16 in a Z790 Apex Encore system

I am not sure if it is a chipset/UEFI thing, hardware limitation, etc.

I have tried every possible combination of UEFI/CSM settings.

I have tried CLI as well as DOS updating their firmware, to no avail, with zero progress.

Oddly, the lowly ARC-1883 8i works flawlessly; drivers install fine, ArcHTTP works etc.

It is only the bigger 1883ix-12/16 cards that fail to work.

Where should i start?
It is likely a PCIe consumer motherboard incompatibility. In any case, what what BIOS revision is it, which slot are you plugging the Areca into and what other cards do you have (and what slots are they in). What other PCIe devices do you have connected (m.2, HBA's, video cards, thunderbolt, etc?). What are the 4 versions for BOOT, BIOS, FIRM, & MBR on the Areca? Which driver are you attempting to use? Can you please post the complete log from the card?

Reactions: Raris
like this
It is likely a PCIe consumer motherboard incompatibility. In any case, what what BIOS revision is it, which slot are you plugging the Areca into and what other cards do you have (and what slots are they in). What other PCIe devices do you have connected (m.2, HBA's, video cards, thunderbolt, etc?). What are the 4 versions for BOOT, BIOS, FIRM, & MBR on the Areca? Which driver are you attempting to use? Can you please post the complete log from the card?
Well, a buddy and i managed to get both of them working by updating firm/boot/bios/mbr and uefi, using an ancient EFI only AMD system. It appears to be the 1.56c firmware is NOT compatible with UEFI based motherboards, even with CSM off/legacy etc, no matter the combination of settings.

Both units were on launch firmware and NIB. I can now access the virtual McBios menu prior to Windows/OSes loading, and ArcHTTP functions as well.

They now function as expected, in Windows 7, 10, 11, and Linux. To answer your question...

The systems are an Asus Z390 Formula/9900K/3080 Ti/ARC1883ix-12 in second x16 PCIe slot at x8 speed, system as well as an Asus Z790 Apex Encore/14900K/4090/ARC1883ix-16 also in 2nd PCIe x16 slot at x8 speed.

Both required firmware updates to operate on the AMD EFI system, after which, they also function on the newer systems.

I have never had any ARECA card require a firmware update to function, even on EFI only systems like Intels' x58 and X79.

Thry had to be flashed via Arecas' nflash through FreeDOS, which only took a few minutes, after days of frustration.

Both Areca and Asus told me they should have worked, or that flashing via FreeDOS/nflash should work on the UEFI boards.

I figure i post the solution in case others' have such issues in the future, as this thread is one of very few resources active regarding ARECA cards.

My 1222 and 1883-8i both worked flawlessly in the same machines, both on their original BIOS/etc firmware.

Back