ARECA Owner's Thread (SAS/SATA RAID Cards)

Hi Guys,

Quick question, I just purchased 4 x Samsung 850 pros and running them in raid 0 for a gaming box. Looks like im maxing out the onboard intel controller at about 1.6GB/sec. Thinking about getting the Areca 1214-4i, would it have the bandwidth necessary to max out these drives?

Hi, I have a 1880i card that I would like to setup SMTP notifications. I am using this at home and so does not have a SMTP server to use. I do have Windows Server 2012 and tried to setup the built in SMTP server, but have not been able to get that to work. I use Verizon FIOS as my ISP and perhaps the issues is that port 25 is blocked by my ISP.

If someone is in a similar situation as me and can share how they were able to get notification working, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Hammer!

Hi Guys,

Quick question, I just purchased 4 x Samsung 850 pros and running them in raid 0 for a gaming box. Looks like im maxing out the onboard intel controller at about 1.6GB/sec. Thinking about getting the Areca 1214-4i, would it have the bandwidth necessary to max out these drives?

Why do you need such high sustained bandwidth from the drives for gaming?

Hi, I have a 1880i card that I would like to setup SMTP notifications. I am using this at home and so does not have a SMTP server to use. I do have Windows Server 2012 and tried to setup the built in SMTP server, but have not been able to get that to work. I use Verizon FIOS as my ISP and perhaps the issues is that port 25 is blocked by my ISP.

If someone is in a similar situation as me and can share how they were able to get notification working, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Hammer!

Any ideas on this one?

Yes, they're blocking it. That's common practice on residential connections. Why not just use a free hosted email account and use that for an SMTP relay?

Yes, they're blocking it. That's common practice on residential connections. Why not just use a free hosted email account and use that for an SMTP relay?

Yes, that would be the preferred solution. Can you please give me an example of a free hosted email account? Most servers require encrypted logins which I thought the Areca does not support and hence the reason why I thought I had to setup my own server.

Gmail? No authentication limits you to sending mail to other gmail accounts, but it's usable since you could just forward everything in the end to wherever you want.

Areca 1880ix

Worth upgrading to 4GB memory? Which 4GB ECC memory's are compatibility with Areca 1880ix ?

Areca 1880ix

Worth upgrading to 4GB memory? Which 4GB ECC memory's are compatibility with Areca 1880ix ?
Depends on the workload, if you have the BBU or not, and the value derived from the improvement in that workload. The card needs DDR2-800 ECC memory, but I've read that it's picky about what actually works.

Gmail? No authentication limits you to sending mail to other gmail accounts, but it's usable since you could just forward everything in the end to wherever you want.

I'm sorry to need step by step...I think gmail needs:

Gmail SMTP password: Your Gmail password
Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587

Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465

Gmail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes

But I don't think I have these options in the Areca setup menu...

For those that didn't notice, Areca released a new firmware version about a week ago for the 1880 series and up.

Since the 1883ix-24 isn't shipping yet, looking at a lower end card (eg, 1880ix) to tide me over. Can I import the disks between an 1880ix to an 1882/1883ix?

Thought that was free?

It looks like I need to be a Google Apps user which is $50 per year for Google Apps SMTP relay?

I also tried the Restricted Gmail SMTP server, but my alerts are not going through...

Thanks so much for your help!

Sploosh-1.jpg

Lian-Li PC-6075B (Ancient, but it's a Lian-Li I can't even find a photo online of this thing, but it has 3x3.5 internal plus 7 x 5.25 External)
Areca 1261-ML
2 x 160GB SeaGate somethingorothers RAID 1 OS
6 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3s RAID 6
2 x CoolerMaster 4 in 3 Drive Cages

A file transfer of some size on the RAID6 setup I had been previously using-software mdraid in ubuntu server 10.10-to a 1TB drive that had taken roughly 3.5 hours, then took under 30 minutes to copy back after the array was built. (Don't remember how long that took but it wasn't that long at all.)

Very very happy with this acquisition, had to post it :D

070EF06F-4044-4CC4-A65D-AC4E5594DF39.jpg

Last edited:
The 1883-ix-24 is available on ArecaDirect now. Trying to decide between this and the Adaptec Series 8 + Expander.

Pro Areca
-Expander is on the same card
-More DRAM cache

Pro Adaptec
-Twice as many native ports
-SSD cache available (although drives with enough endurance for this are out of my budget right now)

Does anyone know if the areca HBA 13xx cards have drive spin down (power management) ?

Thanks, Hammer!

Hi, thank you to everyone who helped. I managed to get it working using the build-in SMTP server and a gmail account following these steps. Hope it's helpful!

http://gaurangpatel.net/setting-up-smtp-server-in-windows-to-use-gmail

Not sure if answered before, but... anyone got a 1280ml (or any other 12xx card)? I need to know the distance between the mounting holes, so I can look for a better heatsink (or possibly a GPU block if I go nuts).

im pulling a 1280ml out in the next few days I can measure for you...assuming you have decent case airflow, why do you need to change the default heatsink - Im sure Areca will have specified it correctly?
I just checked mine with 18 1Tb drives connected its CPU @ 50degC.

On the topic of the 1280's...

What is the biggest drive anyone has hooked up to one.. I believe 4TB's are supported.. anyone gone bigger?

Thinking of going 4TB with WD reds.. or is their a better choice?

Hi,
Do you know if ESXi 5.5 is able to show controller and RAID status with an Areca 1680 card? If someone could provide a screenshot from vSphere Client that would be great :)
Thanks!

You have to use out-of-band management with ESXi I believe, so put that ethernet port to use.

Unfortunately I believe you'll have to do without since all signs point to that not being possible. Says the following on their product pages: VMware (only driver available w/o in-band management utility)

Unfortunately I believe you'll have to do without since all signs point to that not being possible. Says the following on their product pages: VMware (only driver available w/o in-band management utility)
Okay I will monitor RAID with Zabbix & SNMP, thanks!

Hello!
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking at an upgrade for my current RAID controller and just wanted to get some opinions. Currently I have an Areca 1231 with 6x4TB Seagate SSHD in RAID5 with hot spare with another 2 drives on the way. I'm looking at getting the ARC-1883i and using two SAS to SATA break out cables. It looks like it's a new controller from Areca, and I haven't been able to find many reviews on it, just wanted to get anyone's thoughts? Thanks!

*edit* Oh yeah, does anyone actually use the battery pack for Areca's controllers in a home server environment? I have a UPS (of course) but I'm wondering if there's something else I'm missing that I should actually get it?

It offers higher performance and a few more features, but with only 8 hard drives, I doubt you'd really be able to take advantage of them. As for the BBU, if you don't have a need for write caching, it won't do much for you either.

Hello!
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking at an upgrade for my current RAID controller and just wanted to get some opinions. Currently I have an Areca 1231 with 6x4TB Seagate SSHD in RAID5 with hot spare with another 2 drives on the way. I'm looking at getting the ARC-1883i and using two SAS to SATA break out cables. It looks like it's a new controller from Areca, and I haven't been able to find many reviews on it, just wanted to get anyone's thoughts? Thanks!

*edit* Oh yeah, does anyone actually use the battery pack for Areca's controllers in a home server environment? I have a UPS (of course) but I'm wondering if there's something else I'm missing that I should actually get it?

Get the battery. My sisters computer is just a regular desktop machine too but I have seen it revive data and use the battery from the logs on several occations although its not typical.

Why risk corruption?

im pulling a 1280ml out in the next few days I can measure for you...assuming you have decent case airflow, why do you need to change the default heatsink - Im sure Areca will have specified it correctly?
I just checked mine with 18 1Tb drives connected its CPU @ 50degC.

Because I'm not sure how adequate the airflow will be - and I want a fairly quiet rig (it's in my bedroom). Plus, I like doing unusual things with my computer parts :) Adding some identity to the rig.

Is there any fix for the handle leak in ArcHttpSrv?

It's easy to reproduce. It appears on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 for me:

1. Start up your system
  2. Open Task Manger
  3. Activate the "Details" tab
  4. Right-click on the column headings
  5. Choose "Select Columns"
  6. Mark the box for "Handles"
  7. Find ArcHttpSrv in the list; the name of the process is "ArcHTT~2.EXE", or "ArcHttpSrv" in the description column
  8. Note that the process leaks 2 handles every 10 seconds, approximately

Results will vary wildly between SSDs and controllers. It's like asking how fast your car goes without any care for what it is.

Back