ARECA Owner's Thread (SAS/SATA RAID Cards)

Has anyone seen any strange behavior with the ArcHTTP software and Windows 2012?

My 1882 card keeps disappearing from ArcHTTP (i.e. it's no longer listed under SAS RAID controllers section) after about a day of uptime.
I have the same problem with Windows Server 2008 (not R2) on one of my machines. I posted about it here before, but never found a solution. The command line tool works fine, so I just use that instead.

ArcHTTP has always been kinda buggy. I'm not sure if the issue is the nature of the web browser and timing out on the archttp proxy, or vice versa.

I always recommend the actual out of band ethernet interface since in my experience its always solid, and if the whole system freezes up its nice to be able to reach the card as well as have the card be able to alert - thats why they call it out of band.

The Ethernet Interface is nice, but not all cards have it.

I have picked up an early model 1680ix-16. The card works great but it only has the heatsink, no fan. The areca cpu temp get up to 75-80 degrees celcius. I have mounted on a small fan I had lying around and the temp has dropped to 60.

Is it ok to run at these tempuratures? Does anyone know of an after market hfs that will fit on these cards? The current fan is very noisy.

I have an another areca 1880i which runs at 40c which seems more reasonable.

I just updated the BOOT rom from their 4/18/2013 updated BIOS zip in the webgui, and it froze on me. My main raidset was deleted. Beware!

I'm working on the best way to recover it now. I tried to rescue with RECOVER, reboot, SIGNAT, but it's still not there. All disks are there and fine.

I'm emailing Areca as my next option. odditory mentioned the next step is probably to do a level2rescue, and finally recreate it manually.

I was able to re-create the raid and no-init the new volume w/ same settings and got everything back. Areca blamed me for the incident, which I'm not happy about.

Last edited:
I Seem to be having low speeds on Gigabit (50-60 MB/s) and I started troubleshooting component by component, until I hit the Raid Card.

These are the speeds I got with 6x 2TB on Raid6 Areca-1880:

The drives are all WD Red 2TB
Is there any way I can test a single drive for throughput inside the Raid ??
These speeds seems to me too much low for 6 drives and this raid card
I would hope to hit around 250-300 am I wrong or something ?

The drives are all WD Red 2TB
Is there any way I can test a single drive for throughput inside the Raid ??
These speeds seems to me too much low for 6 drives and this raid card
I would hope to hit around 250-300 am I wrong or something ?

1) Are all the drives connected to the controller directly?
2) Are there any SAS expanders or fan-out cables in use?
3) Check the drives in the GUI/CLI and see if they are all connected at proper speeds.

My six 1TB Green's are around 2-3times faster, so there is a definite problem. A cluster of 2TB Green's for me is assured 1GB/s read 600MB/s write. The Red's should be decent, similar or faster than 2TB Green's - I haven't picked any up yet.

1) Are all the drives connected to the controller directly?
2) Are there any SAS expanders or fan-out cables in use?
3) Check the drives in the GUI/CLI and see if they are all connected at proper speeds.

My six 1TB Green's are around 2-3times faster, so there is a definite problem. A cluster of 2TB Green's for me is assured 1GB/s read 600MB/s write. The Red's should be decent, similar or faster than 2TB Green's - I haven't picked any up yet.

Hi,

1) Yes, I have 8 Drives connected directly to the Areca 1880
2) I use Two Fanout Cables

I Even have two SSD Raid1 for SO on the first Fanout which give me around 1GB/s throughput

3) All of them appear as SATA600+NCQ(Depth32)

Is there anyway I can test each Drive separately, or take it off the RAID without have to remount everything ?

( P.S.: Can I have a print of your Greens ? =) )

I need some advice. This is a home system, not office. I have a possible failing Areca 1210 RAID card. I'm getting timeout messages in my logs. I have this on a Linux box with 8 gig RAM and Xeon 3060 CPU. This is attached to four 1 Terabyte drives configured as RAID-5. This config has not gotten much use. Recently I put data on the array. A few days ago, I noticed the server was locking up. On running an fsck on the RAID volume it would find some errors, but I couldn't actually see or read the partition with fdisk -l.

If I go into the RAID firmware everything shows as 100% OK. No errors at all. I'm in the process of verifying that the drives are OK.

My question is, if I were to get a similar card, like an Areca 1214 and attach my four existing drives, what chance do I have that all the data is accessible? I'm debating here whether to buy another Areca or some other manufacturer. I have had this Areca card for more than 6 years but only recently started using it. I guess it's not bad if it lasted this long, right?

This data is not absolutely critical but it would be nice to recover it. You can be sure, I'll be buying an external drive to use as a back up to this RAID array.

Hi,

1) Yes, I have 8 Drives connected directly to the Areca 1880
2) I use Two Fanout Cables

I Even have two SSD Raid1 for SO on the first Fanout which give me around 1GB/s throughput

3) All of them appear as SATA600+NCQ(Depth32)

Is there anyway I can test each Drive separately, or take it off the RAID without have to remount everything ?

( P.S.: Can I have a print of your Greens ? =) )

Hey,

This is a strange dilemma, there should be plenty of power to give in those 6x 2TB's. They should be putting out around 120MB/s reads and score aggregated speeds north of 650MB/s. I would suggest opening a new post for this, as I am not sure how many people are trying Red's on our Areca's, we (the people) need all of this documented.

If you can, try:
- Recreating the array with a stripe of 64K on RAID5
if that runs foul:
- Create a damned RAID0 of the drives and see if they can scream 700MB/s reads.

This thread has my results of my 8x 2TB Green's from a while back, it was my effort to try and show everyone that you don't need luck to run an Areca on v1.49 firmware with WD drives that *do not* have TLER like the Red's and older Green's that you could tune.

I have finally finished investing in Greens and plan to go Reds on my next array.
I bought 4x more 2TB Greens and have completed a 64hour RAID5 > RAID6 migration on 10disks and am expanding the array to 12 now.
Not a peep from any of the drives, I haven't had a failure in about 1.5years. I don't have good karma, so my only known trick is easing new drives in as nearline storage and brutally attacking them a year or so away from warranty end ;)

Since you asked nicely, this is the latest pull of my arrays and the disk model + rev's.
(my 4x 1.5TB Green's are pulled for the expansion, I am hooking up a second SGI/Rackable expander tonight)

Areca-1882ix-12-RAIDSet.Hierarchy-Apr12-cropped.jpg

Areca-1882ix-12-RAIDSet.Hierarchy.DISKS-Apr12-cropped.jpg

Well, really thanks for your reply. I just opened a new topic, let's see what comes up.

I just re-installed Win7-64 to my computer that has an Areca 1882i-12-4G raid card. I think I should have added the driver during install, but forgot. Is there a way to do that now?
If it makes a huge difference, I may just start over and add the driver during Win install. But for now, it is not apparent how to add the driver to an existing system.

I am reading temps as high as 79 - 80C when the array is heavily used. Isn't this too high? I noticed a chipset fan was included, I wonder if it is turning? Not too easy to pull the PC out to check.

Edit: web interface says it is turning 7K RPM. Earlier it was "only" 70C turning 3500 RPM before the multi-terabyte copy started.

I attempted to test the 1882ix-16 array by loading the driver from the Windows 7 recovery disk. When I try and select the driver, the text indicating which card model is off the screen. I can see some drivers are for SAS, and some for SATA, but the model number doesn't fit in the windows recovery CD dialog box!

How can I load the correct driver for my model of card to enable proper function in a Windows 7 recovery environment?

Yo!

I live south of the hills in LA, where we don't have AC in rentals. It never gets stupid hot, but having a card that idles around 67-72 C was concerning me...

I was clearing out some old PC parts and noticed a old GTX460 where I put a Zalman VF900-Cu heatpipe cooler on. I took a closer look at the VF900, and saw that it had the "chipset" mounts on it.

I did some measuring and it looked like it'd fit onto the ARC-1882ix, so I bought 2 and mounted both. Tinted the heatsinks, die and heat spreader cap, and applied AS5 : CPU die = spread method / Expander heat spreader cap = single dot method

CRAZY AWESOME!!!!! Temps now down and idle 27-32 C

Highly recommend this solution to anyone looking for overkill air cooling on their areca RAID cards...

photo3.JPG

I was clearing out some old PC parts and noticed a old GTX460 where I put a Zalman VF900-Cu heatpipe cooler on. I took a closer look at the VF900, and saw that it had the "chipset" mounts on it.

I did some measuring and it looked like it'd fit onto the ARC-1882ix, so I bought 2 and mounted both. Tinted the heatsinks, die and heat spreader cap, and applied AS5 : CPU die = spread method / Expander heat spreader cap = single dot method

CRAZY AWESOME!!!!! Temps now down and idle 27-32 C

Highly recommend this solution to anyone looking for overkill air cooling on their areca RAID cards...

Link and/or part numbers please.

I did both the expander and the CPU, but I think you would be totally cool going with a passive heatsink on the expander... But I just do overkill, so I did both.

Those are two Zalman VF900-Cu GPU Coolers on my card...

This cooler has the 'chipset' mounts (two mount points offset per chip) that really old video cards used to use, like the old Radeon X1600s, and Geforce 4MXs.

It's the same mount setup on these Areca 1882ixs, and 1880ixs.

The CPU is a bit offset on the cooler, but still has full contact. Works great, woke up this morning to see my card running at this....

areca.png

I have picked up an early model 1680ix-16. The card works great but it only has the heatsink, no fan. The areca cpu temp get up to 75-80 degrees celcius. I have mounted on a small fan I had lying around and the temp has dropped to 60.

Is it ok to run at these tempuratures? Does anyone know of an after market hfs that will fit on these cards? The current fan is very noisy.

I have an another areca 1880i which runs at 40c which seems more reasonable.

Will the chipset coolers mentioned fit on my 1680ix-16? I still haven't had a chance to bring the temps down and this might be a good quick solution.

There are two chips on the card. Which one is the CPU and which on is the Expander? My first guess would be the one on the left (closest to the rear of the PC) would be the CPU. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Hi folks, I just ordered an Areca ARC-1882IX-12, card with the battery unit the other day;

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151108
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151111

sorry if this has been asked before, but could someone please recommend 4gb memory that is known to work well with these cards? The Areca prices seem to be quite steep, I know they need to be ECC server memory which I'm finding different models in the $50 range.

Also, I'm running out of hard drive space in my computer case. To use the external port and have more drives installed in a separate case, what's the best option for me?

Also, I'm running out of hard drive space in my computer case. To use the external port and have more drives installed in a separate case, what's the best option for me?
It seems impossible to answer this question without any constraints about what "best" might mean to you.

The Areca card only has one 8088 external port. With the sans digital case you would only be able to use 4 drives.

You would need something with a SAS expander built in to be able to access more drives. These external cases are quite expensive. Here are some examples, you might be able to find some a bit cheaper.

You might be able to build your own. I've read about people building a Norco case with a chenbro expander.

Expander:
http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=187

Bracket:
http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=76

A cheaper alternative is to look for a SAS/SATA expander on ebay. I think these ones are only SATA 1 or 2, but they won't support SAS2/SATA3.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3U-16-Ha...e_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item1e7b59902c&_uhb=1

The Areca card only has one 8088 external port. With the sans digital case you would only be able to use 4 drives.

You would need something with a SAS expander built in to be able to access more drives. These external cases are quite expensive. Here are some examples, you might be able to find some a bit cheaper.

You might be able to build your own. I've read about people building a Norco case with a chenbro expander.

Expander:
http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=187

Bracket:
http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=76

A cheaper alternative is to look for a SAS/SATA expander on ebay. I think these ones are only SATA 1 or 2, but they won't support SAS2/SATA3.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3U-16-Ha...e_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item1e7b59902c&_uhb=1

I checked out those expander cases and was wondering why their prices are so steep?

Would I be able to use the Sans Digital case with the one external port on the back and an adapter like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10254&cs_id=1025411&p_id=8197&seq=1&format=2

going from one of the internal ports on the Areca card?

I checked out those expander cases and was wondering why their prices are so steep?

Would I be able to use the Sans Digital case with the one external port on the back and an adapter like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10254&cs_id=1025411&p_id=8197&seq=1&format=2

going from one of the internal ports on the Areca card?

The cases are so expensive because they are targeted at businesses.

You could use the sans digital case like that, but it would be a more elegant solution if you used a bracket like this and then an 8088 to 8088 cable.

How many internal drives do you have connected at the moment? I'm not sure if you can use all internal 8087 connectors and the external 8088 at the same time. It would be worth looking into before buying an external case.

The cases are so expensive because they are targeted at businesses.

You could use the sans digital case like that, but it would be a more elegant solution if you used a bracket like this and then an 8088 to 8088 cable.

How many internal drives do you have connected at the moment? I'm not sure if you can use all internal 8087 connectors and the external 8088 at the same time. It would be worth looking into before buying an external case.

I still haven't received my card, I ordered it on Friday. I'd like to take 8 drives and have them in a separate case, leaving only four in my main tower. Worst case scenario I can fit everything but a couple drives won't have a proper home.

I was hoping I can use a simple computer case, power supply and something like that adapter card to keep the 8 drives in a separate enclosure.

also has anyone had any luck finding a 4gb ram stick that works with these Raid cards that is a bit more affordable?

i spent a full day trying to figure out why i couldn't initialize a disk in windows with the 1882-12.

it all came down to the firmware once i managed to figure out how to update that.

Last edited:
Will the chipset coolers mentioned fit on my 1680ix-16? I still haven't had a chance to bring the temps down and this might be a good quick solution.

There are two chips on the card. Which one is the CPU and which on is the Expander? My first guess would be the one on the left (closest to the rear of the PC) would be the CPU. Is that correct?
Yeah, looks like it's the same PCB... The CPU is going to be closer to the bracket on the card, the expander is closer to the SFF-8087s

Is it possible to Offline the Raidset, to remove one disk.

Insert that disk on another system to check it's single speed.

And return it to the Raidset ??

I'm using an ARC-1880-8i
With 6 disks on Raid-6

Those are two Zalman VF900-Cu GPU Coolers on my card...

This cooler has the 'chipset' mounts (two mount points offset per chip) that really old video cards used to use, like the old Radeon X1600s, and Geforce 4MXs.

It's the same mount setup on these Areca 1882ixs, and 1880ixs.

The CPU is a bit offset on the cooler, but still has full contact. Works great, woke up this morning to see my card running at this....

areca.png

pjevans, could you describe the procedure you've used to remove the stock heatsink and mount the new cooling solution, please?

I have just acquired an ARC1882ix-12 and it's getting extremely hot. It's gone up to 75-80 degrees celsius. It has to be modded before I can use it at all. That stock fan is way beyond extremely noisy for what it's able to do.

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like it's the same PCB... The CPU is going to be closer to the bracket on the card, the expander is closer to the SFF-8087s

Thanks pjevens. I might put my order in for a couple of those coolers today!

pjevans, could you describe the procedure you've used to remove the stock heatsink and mount the new cooling solution, please?

I have just acquired an ARC1882ix-12 and it's getting extremely hot. It's gone up to 75-80 degrees celsius. It has to be modded before I can use it at all. That stock fan is way beyond extremely noisy for what it's able to do.

Yeah, the stock cooler is attached via the 4 push pegs that are visable. Remove those and the big stupid heatsink comes right off. You'll see the plushy heat transfer pads epoxied to the heatsink that don't do crap.

Take some rubbing alcohol (90%+) and clean the CPU die, expander HSP, and the Zalman coolers you got.

Artic Silver 5: Tint the CPU die, expander HSP, and Zalman coolers (view artic silvers website for these instructions)

Expander HSP (Heat Spreader Plate) : Single dot method
CPU Die: Coat method

Affix the Zalman coolers to the card using Zalmans instructions (as if you're attaching to a X1600, or GeForce 4000 card)

Is it possible to Offline the Raidset, to remove one disk.

Insert that disk on another system to check it's single speed.

And return it to the Raidset ??

I'm using an ARC-1880-8i
With 6 disks on Raid-6

There is various software you could use to check out the smart status of the drives to see if one looks bad.

Rather than offline the raidset why not just shut down the machine and then disconnect the drives one by one to check in another machine to see if one of the drives is performing bad?

can someone please explain why its always showing 0% and 'initializing' when I check the status in the Areca bios? I setup 2 file systems, both raid 3. I've set the initialization to background mode and I have no idea how long it needs or what the status is since there's no windows based program to monitor anything.

last time I've left the computer on for 4 days but on reboot it shows 0% again!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

If I'm not mistaken, upon reboot, it always shows 0.0% until it hits the next 0.1% increment and then displays the correct percentage. Why don't you use the out-of-band management to check the status without powering down your system or archttp if you have an older card without ethernet? Both the web page and telnet will auto-refresh so you can just keep it up if you'd like.

If I'm not mistaken, upon reboot, it always shows 0.0% until it hits the next 0.1% increment and then displays the correct percentage. Why don't you use the out-of-band management to check the status without powering down your system or archttp if you have an older card without ethernet? Both the web page and telnet will auto-refresh so you can just keep it up if you'd like.

This is whats happening more than likely.

I have no idea where to begin with setting up an archttp. I had a 3ware 4-port card before, which had a very straight forward guide and windows based software you can use. It was a dream to work with compared to this.

Can someone please point me to a guide or anything that explains it a bit clearer?

Back