Areca 1680ix-12 + Seagate SAS = No Windows-compatible partition

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
What I have:

1 - Areca 1680ix-12
12 - Seagate ST3146356SS Cheetah 15K.6 146GB 15K SAS drives

Motherboard is a Tyan S5380, Xeon 5160 3Ghz Dual Core Woodcrest, all drives are in an AIC RSC-8ED-0.

What I am trying to do is install Windows XP Pro SP2 x64 onto a 3 drive RAID5 I have created on the Areca 1680ix-12. I went in an created a 3 drive RaidSet, created a Volume Set off that, where I set it at RAID5 (the default) and did a Foreground Initialization. Once it was done, I rebooted to the Windows XP Pro SP2 x64 CD, with a floppy drive w/ the driver's on a floppy.

I hit F6 to load the Areca x64 driver so Windows XP Pro SP2 x64 can load the driver to see the RAID card. It continues, and then it sees the two cards (I also have an Areca 1680ix-24 in the system as well). I select the first RAID5 I created (there are 4 total and a large 20TB volume) and then hit Enter as that's the drive I want to use, and it analyzes the drive.

The error that comes back is "Windows can not use this as this partition is not a Windows-compatible partition".

Any ideas? I'm using the same OS, same card, same drives, and F6 driver as I did last time I did this. And this is sort of a basic thing to do I'm kind of perplexed as to what's going on.

Is the destination greater than 2 tb and/or setup as GPT partition?

I don't think winXP 64 likes booting from a GPT partition.

Is the destination greater than 2 tb and/or setup as GPT partition?

I don't think winXP 64 likes booting from a GPT partition.
It is only 3 146GB SAS drives in RAID5 - so a total of 280GB.

I haven't set any partition types, just simply created the RAID.

Back