Areal Kickstarter: The Spiritual Successor To S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Lots of STALKER footage.

50K won't even pay for the trailer they showed.

I'm in.:D

Whatever happened to that Survarium game which was also supposed to be the spiritual successor to STALKER?

What's the kickstarter actually for? That's not even 1/10 what they would need to fund what they want to make.

Considering its a company that gave us great games from a cold dark basement in Ukraine i think they can do it.

Then EA buys their studio and the game looks like crap on PC since it'll be made for console as well. Also, it looks like a generic FPS.

Areal is based on a book, they have a couple of drawings up about it, everything else is stalker assets. A lot of the stretch goals are also mp related, a waste IMO. Anyway there appears to be a lot of doubt about this, especially the way they have gone about things. I hope it is real but I can't see funding this.

I just don't understand kickstarter for big box games? Naa for me.

Whatever happened to that Survarium game which was also supposed to be the spiritual successor to STALKER?

http://survarium.com/en

They actually have a playable beta out now, and forum members here have tried it.

So who the hell are these West guys?

Aha, googling for "survarium areal" gets me this:

Vostok Games PR and Marketing Manager Oleg Yavorsky said:
So that you understand, over the years of development of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and then Metro series, there have been literally hundreds of people involved in working on various bits and pieces, starting from beta-testers up to modellers responsible for certain weapon models.

Many people came to the studio to work for a few months just for the sake of adding “S.T.A.L.K.E.R. development” to their portfolio. Frequently they claimed afterwards to be the ‘core’ developers behind the game (you wouldn’t know anyway, right?).

Yet, my biggest concern is that West Games are using the footage and assets of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and representing them as their own, which is not only illegal, but simply just not right. I guess it’s all made for the sake of getting extra publicity (which unfortunately works), but guys on Kickstarter should probably pay attention."

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/152699/survarium-devs-question-areal

It looks like a pissing match is brewing between the two factions of ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developers. Pass the popcorn.

“Yet, my biggest concern is that West Games are using the footage and assets of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and representing them as their own, which is not only illegal, but simply just not right. I guess it’s all made for the sake of getting extra publicity (which unfortunately works), but guys on Kickstarter should probably pay attention.”

The original stalker artist is now working for this new company, and is using his old stalker artwork for the new game.

It really comes down to a matter of who owns the artwork, GSC or the artist who drew it. If the artwork belongs to the artist, then he can make as many games based on that artwork as he wants, for whichever company he wants.

Each S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game had a different dev team. So their are 4 different dev teams who worked on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (including the unreleased S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2).

GSC was a complete mess of a company and it broke apart because different people owned rights to different assets and there was a general lack of communication and management.

The original stalker artist is now working for this new company, and is using his old stalker artwork for the new game.

It really comes down to a matter of who owns the artwork, GSC or the artist who drew it. If the artwork belongs to the artist, then he can make as many games based on that artwork as he wants, for whichever company he wants.

Vostok isn't GSC though, so I don't understand why they are bitching about this.

This project sounds more interesting than their F2P MMO

I'd love to see other games that capture the feeling of STALKER,but they're few and far between. The last two Fallout games came closest. Survarium won't cut it,an MMO just doesn't work for me. There are too many red flags with Areal,don't trust Kickstarter after all the snafus there. I'd like to see the rights to STALKER sold to another developer so the series could resume,but who could we trust these days not to screw it up?

The original stalker artist? Who exactly are you referring to?

The article mentioned him by name, but the page vanished at some point today, so I don't know what his name is anymore.

It was one of the concept artists that worked on the first stalker game.

There's an update that was sent out to kickstarter funders that explains the bitch fest that's going on.

Essentially two camps of ex-STALKER guys each trying to push out a game, badmouthing the other guys for claiming STALKER development.

It's worth 50 dollars for the drama included free of charge.:D

Back